ACR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought an ACR and I absolutely love it. Its all I wanna talk and hear about. Let me know your favorite and least favorite features of the ACR.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I don't care much for the barrel configuration that the gun comes with. I'd have preferred a different one (1/7 14.5" lightweight profile with AAC blackout 51t). I'll eventually either get a barrel like that, get an SBR barrel, or just convert my existing barrel with ADCOs services.

Other than that, my only issue was the safety selector, which I've fixed by grinding it down with a dremel. I suppose what they should have done is made the selector similar to the SCAR's, having a longer and much shorter selector on either side, but they should have added the ability to swap them so you can use the longer selector on your strong side whether you are right or left handed. That would have made it perfect.

Other than those 2 issues, one of which is personal preference, I think it's as close as you can get to a perfectly engineered assault rifle.

·
Registered
34 Posts
My favorite thing about my ACR is that it is capable of so much potential. My least favorite feature about it is there are no barrel assemblies yet, making it not so adaptive.

·
Registered
350 Posts
My favorite thing about it is the solid natural feel it has when you shoulder it. Least favorite is the fear that some issue will crop up like some of the issues that some have had. Kinda intangible but it is irritating, good news is not a damn thing has gone wrong with it.

·
Registered
279 Posts
The thing thing that I like about the ACR is the flexibility that it offers going forward all aspects from furniture to multi caliber. More guns and bigger gun safes is not something I want to consider. If the SHTF, I want to take two rifle with me... battle and Sniper rifle.

it's been said, that you should fear the man with one rifle more than the man who has gun safe filled with rifles

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Hmmmmmmm..........

Favorite thing about the ACR is the potential for the adaptive part of it's name. Tangible favorite is that it just feels right and egronomics. (sp)

Least favorite thing at the moment would be the M4 profile barrel. (I understand why) Being a new rifle and the fact a grenade launcher would never be attached to the cut on the barrel, something different could have been used. (IMHO :) )

·
Forum Vassal
709 Posts
Don't like the barrel profile, lack of SBR barrels, or barrel ratchet system.

Give me a basic hand guard, 12" lightweight barrel and remove the ratchet system, or at least the lever and I'd be perfectly content.

It would be nice if the stock locked to the side as well.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I just feel like the ACR doesn't feel like it has a ton of plastic, but yet it is covered with it. It is a good solid gun with good quality polymer from Magpul. Even if they started to sell the Remington hand guard, I would still prefer the MOE. The weight is not a big deal to me, thats why we have slings. The only thing that bothers me is the lack of accessories which should change this year. I am a little bit of a Remington/Magpul fan boy. I love my Rem 700's and I love everything Magpul does. I know it's called a "Bushmaster" but it's more of a Freedom Group rifle, which really means it's a Remington in my eyes and thats just all right with me.

·
Registered
43 Posts
There are a lot of things to like about the ACR.

My favorite is probably the bolt release lever. The ability to completely tear it down without tools, including the barrel, is also nice.

My least favorite feature is the ambi safety. I can't get the rifle off safe in a hurry without adjusting my grip to prevent the safety from whacking my trigger finger. That's a pretty big oversight in my opinion and honestly, I'm surprised Magpul let that stand. I'll be taking a Dremel to my ACR to remedy this issue, which also bugs me... I shouldn't have to Dremel a $2k rifle IMHO.

With all of that said, I still like my ACR very much and will likely grab another one.

·
Registered
57 Posts
There are a lot of things to like about the ACR.

My favorite is probably the bolt release lever. The ability to completely tear it down without tools, including the barrel, is also nice.

My least favorite feature is the ambi safety. I can't get the rifle off safe in a hurry without adjusting my grip to prevent the safety from whacking my trigger finger. That's a pretty big oversight in my opinion and honestly, I'm surprised Magpul let that stand. I'll be taking a Dremel to my ACR to remedy this issue, which also bugs me... I shouldn't have to Dremel a $2k rifle IMHO.

With all of that said, I still like my ACR very much and will likely grab another one.

I agree here. Just went shooting this morning and the only thing that bothered me was the ambi saftey.
Someone needs to make an aftermerket part that will only have the saftey on one side. I don't feel like hacking up my rifle.

·
Registered
226 Posts
My favorite thing is it gives us another choice to choose from. The lower is genius, I have four SCARS and every time I pick one up I think about how badly FN missed the boat on their lower control layout.

The thing I like least is it is a little heavy. There are a number of things that can help in this regard. I wish we had another choice like the Remington hand guard.

The multi-cal thing does not bother me, I think it will come...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Just a couple things - I have the adj. stock and it bugs me a bit that the more the stock is extended the bigger the void is between the adj. cheek piece and the rear of the buttstock/buttpad. Sometimes I like to keep my eye back from the rear sight when I'm going for accuracy but with that space there it's a little uncomfortable.

I already "fixed" the safety selector problem.

Last, but not least the trigger really really sucks. Mine measures anywhere from 8.5 to 9 pounds! I have not heard this from anyone else, so I guess my ACR is out of the norm. Will most likely install a Rock River trigger (I have two R.R.'s and the triggers from the factory are fantastic - just over 4lbs. and crisp) or something similar in the near future.

But.... I d o like the rifle!

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
......................Last, but not least the trigger really really sucks. Mine measures anywhere from 8.5 to 9 pounds! I have not heard this from anyone else, so I guess my ACR is out of the norm. Will most likely install a Rock River trigger (I have two R.R.'s and the triggers from the factory are fantastic - just over 4lbs. and crisp) or something similar in the near future.

But.... I do like the rifle!
That seems alittle stiff. Mine according to a RCBS trigger pull gauge breaks at 6.5 pounds. Fairly clean break as well. I do have 2500 round down range and the trigger has lighten and smoothed out with use. Only thing I did when I 1st got it was put a dab of Rigg grease on the trigger/hammer where it breaks.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Oh, and a n o t h e r thing! :) The rear receiver takedown pin cannot be dislodged, except by using a pretty good rap with a punch.
I finally got tired of having to hunt down a punch and hammer every time and took matters in to my own hands last night. Took one of the teeny tiny eyeglass screwdrivers to depress the detent ball that holds the takedown pin in place, then I was able to pop it out. I radiused and polished the detent ball, then snipped a few coils off of the spring that powers the ball and replaced everything. (This stuff's really small....and I did visit my own nightmare for a few minutes when I launched the detent in to space with a landing zone somewhere on the carpet)
The takedown pin now moves freely with more than enough tension to keep it in place but is easily removable with my fingers.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Likes/favorites:
Robust push-rod setup
Ambi bolt release and it's locations
Foward charging handle, very handy, great location ... just skeptical how it will hold up
Shoots nice, easy to stay on target with multiple rounds
Runs clean
Runs dry

Dislikes:
Plastic folding stock latch, can't see it lasting, might be wrong
Cheek piece a little too short (face hits rear edge)
Mag release buttons are like hair-triggers, drops mags way too easy
Non changeable grip (sure you can buy a new lower if needed, but)
Safety, ...just kinda bobbles in place, opposite lever hits trigger finger issue, seems like it'd break easy
The whole plactic lower setup in general, just can't see it lasting years and years (swear by Glocks though)
Unbalanced, very front heavy, would be really off with the can installed up front
When you rotate the rifle, you get a tink each time the takedown lever hits the barrel/fore end (safety wire fix)
Not to sure about the barrel removal deal, accuracy? repeatable?
Be nice if the enhanced fore end was as long as the standard and had less diameter, pretty huge with even low prof rail covers.
If the grip insert would go mia, there is nothing to stop dirt/sand/gravel from going into the trigger/safety

·
Registered
14 Posts
First the dislikes. I'm not supper happy that all of my window pmags won't work with my ACR. Lancer L5s do the trick though. The biggest thing I didn't like is the cheap plastic safety. It feels like it won't last very long and I bit into my trigger finger. I had to dremel it down. I wasn't real happy that I had to hand modify a $2000+ rifle. However, the dislikes haven't stopped me from absolutely loving my rifle. I have fired AR platforms for years and the just don't compare. Of all of the features I love about my ACR I would have to say my favorite is the balance. I noticed when firing from a supported position, there was almost not front sight bobble. I fired my ACR then fired an AR. Let me tell you the contrast was stark. I am thrilled with my rifle.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Favorite: Tool-less caliber change. Can't wait for 6.8 SPC!
Least: Grip is part of the lower receiver. Makes having a "featureless" design in the People's Republic of California a bit more onerous than in a Free State.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I don't like the fact that you can't activate the safety without racking it and loading the trigger

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
I don't like the fact that you can't activate the safety without racking it and loading the trigger
Most modern military style rifles are like that, its a design of the trigger and how the safety interfaces with it. The SCAR, FAL, AR15 series rifle, M14 etc........

1 - 20 of 27 Posts