ACR Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For those who don't know reporters where the people that coined the term "Assault rifle" when referring to SEMI AUTO rifles. this term HELPED the left wing politicians {Bill Clinton} to ban a whole lot of firearms. Its a term that scares the crap out of non gun owners. It is the responsibility of gun owners to use the proper term and educate those that don't know better. So that maybe bans will never come around again.

·
Premium Member
3,048 Posts
Adaptive combat rifle. Combat rifle. Assault rifle.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
ok, I was going to stay outta this but I cant:

Back in the late 80's, the word "assault" was the marketing buzz word in the firearms industry, much like "tactical" is today. The industry overused the word so much the actual definition of "assault rifle" was blured to mean anything that looked mean and nasty. We were our own worst enemies when it can to that fateful day in 1994 and the "assault weapons / high capacity magazine ban" was passed. Am I saying that the over use of the word "assault" ultimately passed the legislation, no. But it divided the firearms owners communtiy into a "classic " vs "assault" groups and that in fighting didn't stop the legislation from being passed.

I don't want to see that again. Look what happen when the current president took offce, the absolute buying panic that occurred just on a possibilty. Back in 1994 when we knew what was going to happen, it was pandimonium. Anything and everything was being cranked out as fast as possible and some of questionable quality.

Anyway, due to the past, I will never refer to my semi-auto rifles as "assault rifle."
Military style semi autos, Tactical style rifles, SCAR, ACR, AR-15 etc,.......ok (can't even use the term black rifle, they not all black any more :) ) but not "assault" rifle.

As said, it's only a word, but back in the early 90's it was a rallying cry to ban guns and it worked. I don't want to make the same mistake again.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
the latest.............assualt clip...........LOL

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Eh, assault rifle is a perfectly valid category of weapon. "Assault weapon" is the redonkulously vague and ill-informed term propagated by ignorant journalists and politicians to illegal disarm the populace.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Unless you have used it to assault a person, it is not an assault weapon or rifle. Same goes for the sniper rifle. Also don't keep tossing in this assault word as it is something that makes the unaware uneasy and has been created by dipshit liberals to put an end to the ownership of such things.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts

·
Registered
1,932 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
New bill in congress right now to allow licensed to carry handguns persons to carry in other states. It's pretty unlikely to pass, but nice to know we're trying.

·
Registered
46 Posts
New bill in congress right now to allow licensed to carry handguns persons to carry in other states. It's pretty unlikely to pass, but nice to know we're trying.
H.R. 822 - National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act of 2011, was passed by the House yesterday 272-154. As of now there is no parallel bill in the Senate but last year Sen. Thune and Sen. Vitter almost got it attached to another piece of legislation. Keep in mind this isn't anything new, there has been an effort for years to get this legislation passed but with the current make up of the Senate it is an uphill battle to get reciprocity to the Senate floor and even if they do get it passed Obama would almost certainly veto it.

The good news is the margin that House bill passed by and the fact that 43 Democrates voted in favor. If control of the Senate switches to the Republicans next year and the Republican nominee (whoever it ends up being) wins the White House reciprocity should have no problem getting passed into law. The key is to first make sure power switches hands and if it does to then make sure they get it done because with the state of the economy it could easily be put on the back burner.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
I was impressed by my local news that reported after last week's White House shooting, police had found "an AK-47-style rifle"...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts