ACR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may be an odd question, but I want to know where my ACR stands in the productions from Bushmaster. I bought mine lightly used on GunBroker and I did have to send it in for the recall and, yes, it was doubling sporadically.

I know that the ACR had some issues in the initial runs, but I'm not sure exactly what ALL of them were. So I'd like to know what all of the problems were and how they were fixed. I'm not having any major problems, but I wanna know what to look for.

I'd also like to know if there was any change to the format of the serial numbers or any kind of marking to show that updates were made. I don't know exactly when the original purchase date was, only that it was pre-recall.

**I'd rather avoid posting actual serial numbers but rather speak in generalities here to avoid any problems. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not good. Mine starts BL0xxxx. Guess I get to start looking for the downfalls of the initial run. Any ideas what those were?

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mine was early January BL05xxx
2011? Yours is probably a factory fixed early release. Mine is BL01xxx.

I looked back at the emails with the guy I bought it off of. He mentioned that he got it some time late in the summer. Anyone got ideas as to when they started fixing the kinks?

Reactions: Chief_Bashor

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
I bought my black enhanced 7/2010, it's wearing ser# BL019XX. Only problems I have had was the slam fires, (fixed with recall) and the barrel wrench screw was getting loose, it was replaced during the recall. I have heard that some very early models, (earlier then mine) had an issue with roll pins being undersize in the charging handle and the barrel spacer being to thin / soft. Don't know what serial numbers where effected but I know it's much lower then mine.

·
Registered
138 Posts
...mine has had no problems not even a malfunction in 1000+rds...but i sent mine back a week ago...just for fun...ser#BL000XX...yea its low...hahahaa
...and ya'll are making me feel better for doing so...

·
Super Moderator
4,707 Posts
mine is bl0195x and has no problems minus the firing pin, could use a new op rod spring though, mine started looking like a funnel with my old barrel 16" barrel, the 10.5 doesnt help it at all...

·
Registered
13 Posts
I bought mine in March 2011 and I have BL019...should i send it back to Bushmaster to have it looked at? I haven't run into any problems

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
I bought mine in March 2011 and I have BL019...should i send it back to Bushmaster to have it looked at? I haven't run into any problems
Has it been sent back for the recall? If not, I would to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
It's possible it already has. Give the folks at Bushmaster a call, or, check your serial number on their site. The main ACR page has a link for the serial number search. You can ask the shop where you bought it from if it had been sent back in or not.

I wish Bushmaster would have made some kind of visual indicator on the new firing pin so you could tell at a glance. I reckon they wanted to get the fix out the door as soon as possible though.

ETA: Also, serial number will tell you production dates but it could have been new, old stock at the distributor or gun shop, whichever you received yours from. Case in point, my serial number is 18XX and I bought mine back in August 2010. The numbers may not have been issued in sequence as they could have been "set aside" for a special contract or purpose.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
i thought the new firing pin had an extra lip on it to catch the pin when the bolt comes forward
Does it? Is it bad if I said I didn't really pay attention?! I think I may have a picture of the old one saved somewhere...

ETA: Looking at a pic from pre-recall and the firing pin now they look the same to me.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I got mine in October 2010...
S/N BLO42XX

Slam fired - BM replaced the firing pin/spring
Barrel lever came loose - BM either replaced or loctited it (looked like a new lever when it came back)
Side screws on the upper where the forearm contacts werre backing out-pretty sure BM loctited those
Barrel would loosen after 1-2 mags - BM replaced the barrel spacer
The firing pin retainer and its O-ring were not the correct pair >>impossible to keep in and was locking up inside the receiver (luckily not diring live fire) - BM replaced those as well

I'll also mention the result I got from the S/N search:
"The serial number that you entered is NOT included in the ACR Safety Recall Program."

Anyways it's back and I recommend sending yours in if you have any doubts they will take good care of you

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I got mine in October 2010...
S/N BLO42XX

Slam fired - BM replaced the firing pin/spring
Barrel lever came loose - BM either replaced or loctited it (looked like a new lever when it came back)
Side screws on the upper where the forearm contacts werre backing out-pretty sure BM loctited those
Barrel would loosen after 1-2 mags - BM replaced the barrel spacer
The firing pin retainer and its O-ring were not the correct pair >>impossible to keep in and was locking up inside the receiver (luckily not diring live fire) - BM replaced those as well

I'll also mention the result I got from the S/N search:
"The serial number that you entered is NOT included in the ACR Safety Recall Program."

Anyways it's back and I recommend sending yours in if you have any doubts they will take good care of you
This is just the kind of thing I was looking for. Thank you. I did send mine back when I got it.

I was having that issue with the firing pin retaining pin, but BM mangled the O-ring, so it works fine. I don't know that the screws were loctited, but I know the wrench retainer screw was NOT because it was coming loose and I had to do that myself. I didn't know about the barrel spacer. I haven't noticed that issue.

Thanks for all the responses. I think the serial number is a bit of a jumble unless it's under 1500. If I have any more problems, I'm going to do everything in my power to avoid sending the rifle back. I like what they're doing with some of the gas regulators--just send me one.

·
Registered
55 Posts
BL028XXX Got it brand spanking new March 1 2011

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
BL028XXX Got it brand spanking new March 1 2011
Really, that means they have serial numbered over 28,000 units. Thats pretty amazing concidering it's only been out less then a year.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Really, that means they have serial numbered over 28,000 units. Thats pretty amazing concidering it's only been out less then a year.
Note to self: Don't post on message boards while drinking. I threw an extra X in there. It is really BL028XX.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts