ACR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This topic looked lonely, so I thought...................

What ammo are you running in your ACR and have you had any issues?

Me........ I am just shy of 1k rounds. Been mostly old Winchester White box, head stamps from 1981 to 1986, (I'm rotating some old stock) Some Lake City M855 and Walmart Federal 100rnd bulk packs. 3 boxes of federal 69grn match stuff for accuracy testing.

Haven't had any cycling issues at all. Had some fail to lock open after last round. But that was traced back to a VERY old 20rnd metal range mag that should have been thrown away years ago.

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
My first 80 rounds were American Eagle brand and no issues with the bolt locking back. I will be running Hornady TAP training ammo for the next 1500 rounds.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
I ran some Prvi M193 for an initial break-in. It's been a known performer in everything else so if this thing didn't run it then I'd know I needed to troubleshoot it. Mostly though my range trips is all my reloads so I can keep the good stuff for a rainy day. Zero troubles with everything so far. ;D

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
What's the heaviest recommended grain ammo that we can shoot on the ACR 1/9 barrel and does heavier usually mean it can go out farther?

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
[quote author=ACRguy556 link=topic=143.msg758#msg758 date=1283829947]
What's the heaviest recommended grain ammo that we can shoot on the ACR 1/9 barrel and does heavier usually mean it can go out farther?
[/quote]

Every barrel can be a little different in what it likes and it also matters where you are shooting at too, but, I'd reckon 75gr would be right at the cusp of stable. The heavier slug will help buck wind at distance and maintain more kinetic energy but it doesn't mean it will shoot farther but it might help you shoot more consistently at distance.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)

Recommended for 1/9 is no heavier than 69grns. How ever, I have a 1/9 twist bolt action remmington that I have shot a lot of 77grn thru without any accuracy issues. (69grn is more accurate in that rifle) As far as going out farther, I don't know. I think you will find every rifle has a pet load that will be the most accurate. ie:

I had 2 exactly the same remmington .308 bull barrel bolt guns. 1 of them was most accurate with the military match load, (3/4 inch group all day at 100 yards) The other rifle couldn't shot that load better then 2 1/2 inches. But shot 180grn winchester a 1/2 inch. Shooting voodoo if ya ask me, but it is what it is. :)

Just my observations, YMMV :)

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
[quote author=cjt50 link=topic=143.msg761#msg761 date=1283896470]
I had 2 exactly the same remmington .308 bull barrel bolt guns. 1 of them was most accurate with the military match load, (3/4 inch group all day at 100 yards) The other rifle couldn't shot that load better then 2 1/2 inches. But shot 180grn winchester a 1/2 inch. Shooting voodoo if ya ask me, but it is what it is. :D
[/quote]

Sounds like maybe the other had a longer throat and liked the shorter jump from the heavier slug. Just a guess.

·
Registered
303 Posts
The only ammo I have shot so far Is Silver Bear 62 grain bimetal HP. It's accurate & cheap. it's less than 100.00 dollars for 500 rounds.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Mostly Prvi M193, Federal XM193 and my bulk reloads (62gr Prvi tips). I've been using Wolf primers which are supposed to be about on par as the CCI 41's for cup hardness so I haven't had any issue with slam fires. Chews 'em all up and spits 'em out.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Only a few more days until my waiting period is over thanks to the Maryland State Police background check. I'm looking to buy some ammo in bulk online and i'm leaning towards PRVI M193 or Federal XM193. Don't have a whole lot of experience with either, all the 5.56 I've ever shot has been military. Anyone recommend one over the other? My google searches haven't helped me narrow it down. I don't plan on doing a whole lot of benchrest shooting, just looking for decent quality ammo I can use with iron sights that is reasonable accurate and clean.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Everyone has their favorite, I have used both and most of my rifles seem to like the XM193 accuracy wise. Not that there is a real big difference, just seems more consistant across numerous rifles.

You wont go wrong either way.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Both Prvi and XM193 are comparable as far as I'm concerned. (Note: The Prvi M193 lots prior to '04 were a little weak powered though.) Accuracy for both is "good enough", it's nothing special. It's military spec'd ammo and the acceptance standard for it is not "match grade". But, since it's made for long-term storage and has power to push through a grimy gun it's good ammo to have around.

·
Registered
299 Posts
out of the 800 or so I have put through my ACR so far, 200 rnd.s of PRVI Partisan M193, 100 rnd.s PMC Bronze 223 Rem. , 100 rnd.s Tulammo 223 Rem. 100 rnd.s Winchester white box, 300 rnd.s of my buddies surplus 556 type unknown to me

·
Registered
13 Posts
So far I have put in 240 rounds of PMC 55 gr with another 120 planned for tomorrow to celebrate Independence Day.

·
Premium Member
3,048 Posts
I've had great experience with american eagle. Its been about 95% of what I have shot thus far. probably going to pick up some silver bear and xm193 and maybe even some hornady tap

1 - 20 of 47 Posts