ACR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Forum Vassal
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those that don't watch the news much, U.S. forces took a heavy loss this weekend.

I know it's all too easy to forget what's happening over there while we are caught up in our own daily grind, but take a moment and consider the sacrifices being made by people in our armed forces.

On a side note, there is a rumor among some people that the bird was brought down by a USA made stinger. We provided such equipment and training during the 80's so the Muhj could bring down Soviet air power. I pray this is not true.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/08/07/us-afghanistan-violence-idUSTRE7750UW20110807

NATO investigates deadly Afghan helicopter crash

(Reuters) - NATO tried to determine on Sunday if Taliban insurgents had shot down a troop-carrying helicopter in Afghanistan, killing 38 in the largest loss of life suffered by foreign forces in a single incident in 10 years of war.

In a bloody two days for foreign forces, another four NATO troops were killed in two separate attacks on Sunday by insurgents in the country's violent east and south, the coalition said.

The majority of foreign troops serving in those regions are American, although some French troops are also based in volatile Kapisa province in the east.

The French president's office in Paris said two French soldiers were killed and five wounded when they were attacked by insurgents in Kapisa's remote Tagab valley. There was no immediate confirmation of the nationalities of the other two.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Yeah, I caught the news when it happened. Brings back memories of Roberts Ridge, only this one is worse (in terms of lives lost). Sounds like they weren't even in the fight yet when the bird went down. Sucks... hard...

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
R.i.p. ..........

·
Registered
128 Posts
It seens so unreal to think that they were able to shoot down such a high tech chopper with 30 year old equipment. RIP

·
Registered
737 Posts
I think the consensus is that it was more likely an RPG... (but nothing is certain at this point with the investigation ongoing).

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
It sounds a lot like the "Lone Survivor" incident. They went out like warriors. God Bless them and watch over their families. I hope the survivors gave those Taliban fucks pure hell.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts