ACR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Mod Squad
1,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've mentioned in the past I had an 870 tactical by Remington I sold to put towards the acr. Well its time to replace it and I really want the same or similar version. I saw the atacs one but its long gone. Today I saw the 887 tactical. Its a magnum so it uses the 3-1/2" shells. Should take care of my crow problem. Thing is I've read good and bad reviews online. Most didn't like the look but some said it had trigger and ejecting issues. Should I try it out and if I have an issue let Remington repair it? I know id have to pay but I loved my 870. This thing seems tough. $400 used seems about right. I've put alot of money to them before so I may be able to talk them down if I pay cash. So first id like others opinions on he 887. Im definitely going with that or the 870.

·
Mod Squad
1,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You could give it a shot but if I were buying it would be the 870.
yeah I loved the 870. The dull finish on the barrel scratched off easily. I imagine the range of the bigger shell is a bit veteran over the 3"? Or is it just containing more shot? I suppose I can't go wrong with tried and true. This thing was nice.

·
Mod Squad
1,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You could give it a shot but if I were buying it would be the 870.
will you buy? Id be your friend forever. Ha im really trying to research this. It seems like the 870 tactical in essence. I could swap chokes and barrels and use it for turkey or trap. Or again use it as a home defense or pest control type. The 3-1/2"shells seem like it would be a bit much for some applications. I do t know if it will take 2-3/4" I though so. Seems Not to have many fans on arms review sites and other forums. Mayne ill bring my snap caps and run them through it.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I have a friend who lives in Indiana and has had success with turkey hunts using the 870 with the 18.5" barrel. I think you are very interested in the 887. I would think using the 3 1/2" magnum shells would be a bitch and get tire-some quick. The 887 will take 2 3/4, 3, and magnum shells CIMG2543.jpg

ETA: I would buy you one if won the lottery;)

·
Mod Squad
1,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I remember reading the regular 887 would take all three. I forgot to look at the tactical closer. I first saw it next to my 870 tactical at the store but the 887 wasn't a tactical. The one I saw today was. This shotgun will make me more money so to speak killing crows over shooting clays or hunting and home defense. So I. may go for it. These frickin birds will let me drive by them but they'll spot a rifle from 100 yards away and take off. They do alot of damage to corn and need to get a visit with some shot. There are Mossberg and several other types in stock but I like the interchanging choke rubes. Ill try it and if it just doesn't work then maybe ill get Remington repair done. Or sell. Im wondering how well it feeds different sizes. I've got to avoid temptation and put it on layaway. I know im trying to zero my acr tomorrow and patterning a new scatter gun would be fun.

·
Registered
303 Posts
from what I read the 887 is based on the 870.it will eat everything from 2 3/4 to 3 1/2. the real differance is the "armorlokt" coating. Its also the " Shooting Illustrated shotgun of the year" ....damn now I want one.

·
Mod Squad
1,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No love for autoloaders?
I enjoy shooting them but i want to get a collapsing or folding stock for it so It can't be an auto loader. Its had good reviews online but also a few stabs too. Had some feeding and ejecting issues. Some was the ammo. I am going back to look at it. Its one of those new products so I just hope ten years down the line there's parts out here. It has a rotating bolt and different slides. One advantage over the 870 tactical I had was the sights on this one. This has the rail a ridge like the sporting shotguns and also a fiber optic. The 870 was a rail and ghost ring.

·
Mod Squad
1,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am not a big shotgun guy but I built my first one for 3Gun which I love. I also have a vent rib with a fiber optic front sight, I agree that it is better than a ghost ring setup at least for me.I was just wondering because if you were interested in an autoloader I could give you the specs of my build and see if it would work for you also.
yeah either way I don't know much about the shotgun aftermarket products and work done to them so I am curious.

·
Mod Squad
1,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for sharing. I declined to get that shotgun. Ill be kicking myself all day for it but im going to take my acr to the range now. I think I want the 870tactical.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts