ACR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was putting up a post on the Handgun Picture thread and thought of the idea for this thread. I tend to take pride in wheeling and dealing to get the best price possible on my gear. I thought, I must not be alone at this. So, let's share some stories here about the best deals we've ever gotten for our guns and gear whether buying or selling.

Probably my best was when I got my Kimber TLE II from Cabelas. How, you ask, did I get a "good deal" from Cabelas? Well, I go in there pretty regularly. It's local, so I'll stop in about once a week whether I "need" to or not. I had been ogling my Lieutenant's 1911, which is a custom Wilson Combat, which I could NEVER afford. Still, I was in the market for a 1911. I wanted a Kimber, but they're still pricey. But one day, I noticed this TLE II in the case. It was used, but looked Mint. It was marked to $800. I still couldn't afford it, but I wandered into the Gun Library to ask if they could come down at all. They refused because of the great condition, but showed me a Kimber Tactical Compact 4" 1911. It was $799 marked down twice to $500 because it had a broken thumb safety (it was literally half missing). I bought it with the intention of just replacing the safety.

I took it to the range before paying for the repair for a function check. It turned out that it also had a sear that was nearly worn through. It was consistently doubling and causing jams. I called Cabelas, and we came to an agreement. I took it to my gunsmith, who made the repair and a "friend" price of $100. Cabelas, through some kind of miscommunication, would not pay for the repair. So, I proposed an even trade for the full sized TLE II that I was eyeing the previous week. It was still there at $800. They agreed.

So, I effectively got my $1,000 Kimber TLE II for $600 and a couple weeks of inconvenience. She runs like a top.
IMG_2737.jpg

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Funny how things work out, nice snag!!

·
Mod Squad
4,526 Posts
Nicely done. Being in my position, I've gotten to score some awesome "free" shit. The best of these being an $1800+ optic though I will leave those details out. I've gotten free rail systems, a free PWS piston system, free Mike Rock 7.5" barrel, and the very best being when I left Team 8. My buddy got some of the guys together and pooled some money for a going away present. They asked me into the Ordnance Office and had me sit down. Then my buddy pulled out a blue S&W box and I thought, "Did they get me an M&P?" He presented it and I opened the box to discover a S&W 329PD (NOT .44Mag) 8-shot .357 magnum made of Scandium. I was blown away. My buddy told me his intention was to get an M&P9, but when he collected the money, he got enough for the 329 and got a killer deal from Ernie L at S&W.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...57898_757896_757896_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nicely done. Being in my position, I've gotten to score some awesome "free" shit. The best of these being an $1800+ optic though I will leave those details out. I've gotten free rail systems, a free PWS piston system, free Mike Rock 7.5" barrel, and the very best being when I left Team 8. My buddy got some of the guys together and pooled some money for a going away present. They asked me into the Ordnance Office and had me sit down. Then my buddy pulled out a blue S&W box and I thought, "Did they get me an M&P?" He presented it and I opened the box to discover a S&W 329PD (NOT .44Mag) 8-shot .357 magnum made of Scandium. I was blown away. My buddy told me his intention was to get an M&P9, but when he collected the money, he got enough for the 329 and got a killer deal from Ernie L at S&W.
VERY nice, duc. We can't all be attached to SF teams (and in the armory no less), but I for one would love to :D You've got some nice goodies there. That S&W is a hell of a going away present. That's really nice of the guys to get you that beast. How does the scandium handle the recoil? I've only handled the snubby scadiums and it was pretty unforgiving. I've never gotten a gun for a gift, but I'm always putting my hook in the water.

·
Mod Squad
1,892 Posts
Nice. Don't the kimbers come apart differently than a Springfield 1911? I don't know much about pistols. Im beginning my path to a pistol permit next month. A 1911 will be my first if not a used Beretta 92 just to train with. I've been eyeing the Springfield range officer.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mine is the full sized 5" model. So, it disassembles like a standard gov't issue as far as I know. Barrel wrench preferred. The smaller models, though, are different. They have a small hole in the guide rod to take the tension off of the spring. Then you disassemble pretty easily from there.

·
Mod Squad
1,892 Posts
Its a nice looking pistol. From what I seen is kimber is a smoother looking pistol with rounded edges. Always expensive when new. And seem to have resale value.

·
Mod Squad
4,526 Posts
The only difference may be due to the recoil rod. On my SA Operator, it's a two-piece that has to have an allen to remove the front piece. Easily swapped out to a half recoil rod and push button. The Kimber comes with a wrench that depresses the spring loaded tip to remove the bushing.

In my opinion, the only thing a full recoil rod is good for is extra weight.

Tack, the Scandium frame is unforgiving. The Hogues help out a lot to mitigate some of the recoil. I like the wooden grips that came on it, but the Hogues definitely help. Whenever one of the guys wanted to shoot the gun they chipped in on, the deal was, if you load all eight rounds, YOU SHOOT ALL EIGHT ROUNDS.

·
Premium Member
3,048 Posts
My best deal wasn't on a gun, but a guitar. A Seagull acoustic hand crafted from cedar, about a 800 dollar guitar.

Had a f*** buddy years back and after we finished our deeds one day and I was getting dressed, noticed a guitar peeking out from under the bed. I asked if it was hers and she explained it was her boyfriend's, who was in rehab for a cocaine addiction. She said I could borrow it until he came to get it. He never showed up...pretty sure he died of an OD. Score for me.

Sent from my DROID PRO using Tapatalk

·
Mod Squad
1,892 Posts
Two wins for Tommy. Im deffinatly anxious to get this pistol class under my belt so I can start the paperwork. I may have to wait till november.

·
Premium Member
3,048 Posts
I got the pistol class without the class. Buddy from the corps is a registered nra pistol instructor. He just signed a certificate for me

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Guess that makes a triple-win for you, Tommy. Pussy, a beauty of a guitar, and a quick and easy CCW. Quite the trifecta. Now, you can be like Antonio Bandares in Desperado.

·
Premium Member
3,048 Posts
I guess I forgot to mention that his character in the movie is based on me and my life

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Haha. I know you and Cheech Marin motorboated the hell out of Selma Hayek when you were called on as a technical advisor.

·
Premium Member
3,048 Posts
She gives a great rim job

·
Premium Member
3,048 Posts
She gave him a rim job while she jerked me off

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Still a great deal.

·
Premium Member
3,048 Posts
Actually, I was gunning a ma deuce. And if you don't know what that is, then kill yourself

1 - 20 of 21 Posts