ACR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, this comes after a week of hell, and worry... some of this story may be exaggerated and the names have been changed to protect the innocent:eek:

Long story short, got an Instructor class a week away, want to take my ACR, NFA finally lets me know they dident forget me by sending me a "present" in the mail...
Remington defense quotes me 550.00 to 650.00 for 10.5 in barrel's along with the ubiquitous theyll be avail..."shortly".

Next happens in very short order:

1. BOING!! light bulb goes off, remember there is a new 11.5 "colt commando barrel in the safe..YES!
2. Strip ACR barrel, "mic" all the parts.... look at parts for like 30 min, and make up mind to "DO THIS".
3. Get "bigdog" from the forums to send pics, and IM's back and forth...yadayadayada
4. Get off to the shop to get this s**t done.
5. Get done
6. Go to range, shoot 150 rounds, zero ACR.... end up the day fat & happy as they say walking away from the range with my shiny new burrito...(until getting home for cleaning and prep for the class)
7. Strip rifle for cleaning, discover operating rod is bent....up at the carrier contact point (front to about 1"back)
8. Stare at op-rod for 30 min, cry incessantly... perform the clothes burning/ shower scene from the crying game....regain composure.
9. IM "big dog", have a phone conversation, agree that the bend is a result of the following: (bad steel+overgassing+op-rod face not cut completly flat)
9. Call remington defense to order the "short" op-rod...and get a yea you can order it, itll ship after the first of the year....WOW
10. Call "bushy"..pose question.. yep 40.00-50.00 with the spring, shipped to your door in about a week, they confirm that i will have to cut the op-rod to fit the short system....no s**t frank, thats why im calling, here is the credit card, and by the way... send two sets, (frank) really two?for what?, (me) zombie war, (frank) oh ok.....

Then i sit and think about the whole situation, yes, pissed about the bend, happy about the low cost and ease of aquireing a replacement, but thinking...if this is going to be my SHTF/duty/ "go to gun", then a bent op-rod should be, in my book a field repairable item, and if its not im gonna find something else.
So i go the shop and straighten the thing by hand (no heat)with a press and smithing hammer, and get it "eyeball straight",re-face busniess end, and Adjust the secondary gas regulator (installed screw), and prepare for the class the next day...

And not to my surprise ( I never doubted you my lovely brown burrito), 400 rounds later,as well as lot of gas "tube" guns going down around me during the course, the ACR never failed... not even a hiccup FTE or FTF....

So in conclusion all i have to say to all the nay sayers & non believers in the ACR system....FORCES OF OPPOSITION, BOW DOWN! im keeping mine.

***PIC's to follow*****:cool:

Bushmaster enhanced ACR

·
Super Moderator
4,707 Posts
Hellz yeah, that's sweet that it worked after you got it bent back! Ill have to load a pic of my op rod, my buddy turned it down in a lathe.

Im really glad to hear that the op rods and springs are 50ish im gonna have to get some spares, looking forward to pics!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Nice! It is good to hear success stories every now and then to battle the vast amount of negativity from other forums. As soon as Bushmaster pulls their heads out of their rears the bugs will be worked out and the whiners will go away. Can't wait to see the pics!

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
That's great. Very funny representation BTW. I love that you told BM CS that you wanted it for the zombie war. :) Looking forward to pics. Bigdog, you're a good man for helping.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
A true success story, (fun read as well)

·
Premium Member
505 Posts
Good story to hear.

I have a question though. If they would sell you the op rod seperately, did you happen to ask if they would send you all the parts to the gas system and if so how much for the kit? Thanks.

Mike

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
no, i just asked about the op rod and spring... sorry, but if they will sell the rod/spring im sure the other parts could be had

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
079.jpg 083.jpg 085.jpg
Sorry guys, responded before getting through the replies, the only pics i will have will be post "fix", but believe me, i had to pound the op rod out of the guide that is built into the trunion, as it was bent that bad... the first pis you can see the bend at the tip.
in the second and third pic you can see the diference as i roll it.
And actually the rod isnt even that straight and the burrito still runs!

Just a side note, the "bend" was actually 3 seperate bends which looked were caused as the op-rod rotated as it cycled...

·
Registered
299 Posts
good to know a DIY repair is possible !

1 - 12 of 12 Posts