ACR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I had my mind set on buying an ACR and have been researching the rifle alot the past few months. Seems to be alot of negatives being put out on the ACR and it has be second guessing my thoughts. I have considered the SCAR and XCR but can get a new ACR for $1600 delivered which is a fair amount cheaper the the SCAR and a simular price to the XCR. I love the left side forward charging handle and posibilities to change caliber in the future and the design seem alot superior to me over the SCAR and the XCR for sure. Im in no hurry for caliber or barrel changes really so thats not a concern. I am slightly concerned with the weight. I would love for you guys to talk me into the ACR! :) Lets hear it! ;)

·
Registered
103 Posts
The ACR is an excellent platform...however it is new which means it did and could still have some teething issues. This is to be expected. For examples, The XCR when it came out had massive trigger slap issues, slam firing problems, and a loose barrel bolts issue (Still has this) and out of spec barrels for that matter. The SCAR...hmmm...cost is the biggest disappointment and if cost isnt bad enough service and parts availability will put a huge damper on that! But the SCAR is in its 5 revision.

But before you write off the ACR remember it is extremely new and the price is coming down significantly...making it a more attractive platform. I have an ACR, the ergos and feel are second to none! It will be the most versatile platform out. The XCR was close but the stock is nowhere near the ACRs! And bushmaster remington have deep pockets not to mention friends in high places! The XCR has little to no aftermarket product that is exclusive designed for it. Both good in some ways and bad in others. But the bushmaster has a growing number of 3rd party vendor ready to make tons of goodies for it! It isnt perfect but it is the most innovative platform to date! It doesnt come without its complaints either, for me my main gripe is it is heavy. I dont like the grip (and you cant change it yet if ever) as much but the charging handle placement, bolt catch, mag release, stock, barrel design is amazing! It is more accurate then the XCR (at least when I had my XCR I wasnt impressed with its accuracy...it wasnt as good as a rack grade AR...the ACR is and actually doesnt climb as much as a rack AR. And good luck with RA support of the XCR...go to the forums, there is bitching beyond belief there! Not to mention Alex slow development and imaginary promises. I dealt with this first hand that is why I dont have an XCR anymore!

As for the SCAR, lots to love just not the price! Still 2600 is the cheapest I have seen! So with the enhanced ACR starting to get down to the 1800 mark this makes a wide margin of justification. But the scar has somethings I hate. The recip charging handle SUCKS! Why oh why...and its placement can be a little difficult as well with certain optics! The stock is alright but built significantly lesser to the ACRs. It just plain feels far more solid and versatile then the SCAR. I actually like the way the SCAR fits me better. The cheek rest fits me better. I also strongly prefer the sights on the SCAR..in fact I flat out love them! But really after that I am not running around wanting one...price is so steep...it it was under 2k...ok but To be honest I considered the scar but in my opinion it is not that dramatic of a change in a platform where as the ACR is. The ACR is far and away more versatile and innovative. I was on the fence as I said before about getting a SCAR but when I did some digging I would rather have a great piston AR like and LWRC or LMT. I like the SOPMOD and Vltor stocks better...the ability to fold isnt a big benefit to this recreational shooter so it becomes a non-issues and a novelty. I might use it one or to times like this and since I am not a soldier this is not a benefit for me. The SCAR is however very accurate. More then a rack grade AR and is also tested more dependable, I am not certain when you factor in the likes of LWRC for I am yet to see one viable bad post on them.

My only gripe is the weight on the ACR...oh and the sights...but that can be fixed with a different set. The MBUS to me is crap! I dont like them at all! Other then that it is a very nice platform! One that will offer far more then any before it!

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Yup, what he said /\/\/\/\

I have a SCAR and ACR, both in black. I'm thinking about adding a brown rifle to the stable and I have to say, it would propably be another ACR. The SCAR brings alot to the table, and it should, it's had years of testing and revisions. Not enough to buy a second one. And yes, the included MBUS are not the greatest, replaced mine with Troys folders.

Try'em if you can, then pick the one that best fits you.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Im in no hurry for caliber or barrel changes really so thats not a concern. I am slightly concerned with the weight. I would love for you guys to talk me into the ACR! :) Lets hear it! ;)
The difference in weight is a pound. If you plan on carrying it all day that might be bad, but for me it is a comfortable rifle. Granted I have yet to fire it!!!! So take that into account, that and the fact that I have never used a rifle before. I spend an inordinate amount of time holding it though and it does not tire me in the least, and I have a heavy EoTech on it as well (557 AR223). Tomorrow I am taking the NRA Basic Rifle Course which includes a 4 hour range trip so I will know more about it tomorrow. The day after I am taking the NRA Basic Pistol as well so I will be doing a lot of shooting the next couple of days.

All in all I can't imagine that you would spend much time regreting it. Just get it.

·
Registered
138 Posts
...right now, IMO i don't see much out there that has almost everything in one package like the ACR does... sure the scar i guess seems to be its main competitor but the ACR has a few more features and it's multi-caliber(pending)...if you just want to shoot 5.56 i dont see why the scar wouldn't be a good idea or any reliable weapon system in 5.56 for that matter...for me, when the barrels come out, the ACR will probably be the last rifle i buy...it has it all...except a bullet guidance system(pending)...im not a big collector...

·
Super Moderator
4,707 Posts
i came to an acr from an hk416, and i'm not going back as a primary, i might get one to have but the acr is just funner to shoot

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I went ahead and ordered a basic ACR today. $1600 shipped post recall model. I will order a folding stock but I prefer the idea of the basic forend. Any suggestions on where to get a stock? Bushmaster take a year to get them from? Thanks for any info guys.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Well I went ahead and ordered a basic ACR today. $1600 shipped post recall model. I will order a folding stock but I prefer the idea of the basic forend. Any suggestions on where to get a stock? Bushmaster take a year to get them from? Thanks for any info guys.
Good choice!! :)

The stock is only available thru bushmaster right now; here the link to the ACR parts page:

Bushmaster Parts Page http://www.bushmaster.com/products.asp?cat=11

Get you credit card ready and enjoy the new rifle!!

·
Registered
303 Posts
Be ready to wait two weeks when you order ANYTHING from bushy. I have ordered from them twice now, the peacekeeper case took 14 days, then the coffee cup, 3 stickers, and hat took 13 days.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Be ready to wait two weeks when you order ANYTHING from bushy. I have ordered from them twice now, the peacekeeper case took 14 days, then the coffee cup, 3 stickers, and hat took 13 days.
Thats what I've heard. I was lucky enough to find an enhanced stock from the dealer I ordered my ACR from and talked him into a killer deal so I'm more them happy!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Have you made a choice, or still narrowing down the choices?

Just curious...
After a ton of research I've decided to go with the ACR. Mine shipped out yesterday. I ordered the basic model with an additional enhanced stock. Just placed the order for all the other accessories (VG, MOE rails, sling, ect) and I should have it all here in the middle of next week. I cant wait to give it a try. Im a firearms instructor with my agency and am going to see if we can get this one on the 'approved list'. Im gonna give it hell soon as she gets here. Thanks for everyones input.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
After a ton of research I've decided to go with the ACR. Mine shipped out yesterday. I ordered the basic model with an additional enhanced stock. Just placed the order for all the other accessories (VG, MOE rails, sling, ect) and I should have it all here in the middle of next week. I cant wait to give it a try. Im a firearms instructor with my agency and am going to see if we can get this one on the 'approved list'. Im gonna give it hell soon as she gets here. Thanks for everyones input.
Very nice, i hope it gives you trouble free service. Also, i know it can be a long process, but let us know if it gets on your agency approved list.

·
Registered
5 Posts
i have tried the enhanced forearm, its nice, I own it but switched back to the basic unit. The basic unit is just plain comfortable.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts