ACR Forum banner

Swapped out my ACR trigger

11K views 22 replies 14 participants last post by  LukkyThirteen 
#1 ·
For any of you guys out there that are hesitant to change out you trigger package, don't be. I just swapped the trigger in one of my Rock Rivers in to my ACR - I had never taken an AR trigger out before... and it was a piece of cake.
My ACR trigger was horrendous - coming in right at n i n e pounds! My Rock Rivers are great - nice and crisp and at about 4.5 lbs. I just couldn't wait for the Brownells delivery and was planning on some accuracy testing with a scope on the ACR today so I made the switch.
It took me all of about 15 minutes after viewing a few of the "how to" videos. Now I have a very nice 4.5 lb. pull ACR. Can't wait to get to the range with it.

#3 ·
Yep, easy to do. I swapped mine out with an RRA before I sent it back for the recall, but was worried about going missing while it was back for the firing pin work so swapped it back. I think I'll order a Geisselle for it eventually but luckily my factory trigger wasn't too bad as-is.

#7 ·
FWIW I used the stock ACR spring when I swapped to the RRA. It may have changed the pull of the trigger however slightly but it worked fine and was of course better than the factory unit.

#14 ·
As far as AR triggers I guess I would class them into a few different categories. First would be plain Jane stock triggers like what you'd get in a generic parts kit or what the ACR has NIB currently. Second would be a 2-stage style like a Rock River or LMT or Geisselle combat trigger. Third would be more specialized triggers for match gunners like Jewell units. Of course there are subtle and not so subtle differences between any two triggers but I'd reckon that to be a decent break down.

A lighter trigger does not an accurate rifle make. The trigger is one component of the entire rifle. But a smooth trigger usually will help the shooter wring some more performance out of the rig but allowing less disturbance of the sights through the trigger pull.

#19 ·
I bent the spring that came with my Geissele SD-3G to basically the same as the stock spring. I can show a picture if you want, but you basically just need to duplicate the angle and location of the stock one. I just use pliers. It took several minutes to get the angle just right.

#22 ·
Well, I took the plunge before checking back in here.

I tore the RRA out of my AR and then the trigger pack and trigger out of my ACR. Did some Eskimo blueprinting, and bent it with duckbill pliers. Much easier than anticipated. I thought the angle was much more dramatic. Pins and safety in then voila!

Side note on the safety, if it will not go into place, stop and check the hammer. If it is forward or uncocked, pull it rearward till it locks like it has been reset and ready to fire. This creates the proper gap by pushing the trigger downward. Slide in your safety and you are set.

#23 ·
Thanks for all the info guys. After my barrel chop, the Geissele SD-3G is next on the never-ending list of mods... . My stock hammer spring does not engage my detent arm very deep and I cringe thinking of the day when it slips out while I'm shooting or god forbid when I need it most. Almost every time I remove the trigger pack the thing slips out. Even when I try to be delicate with it...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.