ACR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Forum Vassal
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There has been talk about the M110 having issues for years in many circles.

Knights makes good stuff, but one has to wonder if all this talk is baseless or not.

http://kitup.military.com/2011/08/special-forces-worry-about-m110-durability.html

The Army rolled out the M110 to much controversy, but in response to valid concerns and shifting tactical situations that snipers were encountering overseas. With soldiers fighting in built up urban areas, target ranges were decreased and the number of targets often increased, creating a need for a semi-automatic Sniper system to be fielded Army wide. However, many of us in the Special Operations community felt that the Army was getting the short end of the stick with the M110.

Read more: http://kitup.military.com/2011/08/special-forces-worry-about-m110-durability.html#ixzz1VMJekSR9
Kit Up!

·
Super Moderator
4,707 Posts
when i talked to the sf snipers they said it was "ok" not as accurate as a m24 but close... i've also read around the internet that they have had issues with them but never asked about that

unfortunately we had none of these in our armory to check out but plenty of m24's

·
Mod Squad
4,526 Posts
when i talked to the sf snipers they said it was "ok" not as accurate as a m24 but close... i've also read around the internet that they have had issues with them but never asked about that

unfortunately we had none of these in our armory to check out but plenty of m24's
It's about a 60-40% split for Team guys that hate the SR to the ones that like it. I know one guy who literally threw his when he RTB'd because it failed to fire numerous times on target. I believe his exact words were, "Fuck that piece of shit!"

A few months later (after deployment and during re-issue) another buddy ended up drawing that EXACT rifle. Kevin saw it and said, "Let me tell you about that piece of shit."

The ODA guys I worked with down south were complaining about the M110 version and the horrible trigger it came with.

Then again, I know a couple guys who REALLY like it. Personally I'd go with an OSR/OBR.

·
Super Moderator
4,707 Posts
Yes the obr is a badass rifle that I probably will end up with one sooner or later. I wonder how the new emc rifles are gonna do, I love the urx 3 rail on them

·
Mod Squad
4,526 Posts
I always wondered why they made the front sight look like a rail? I either want to see someone mount a PEQ15 to it, or better yet, another BUIS.

·
Premium Member
505 Posts
I wouldn't blame them from going away from it. Last I heard it was over five figures for the complete kit from knight's. I haven't heard good things from that community about that rifle overall. It couldn't hurt to have a competition to see if there is something better/less expensive.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
I'm seeing a repeat of the old M21 rifle here. There was a reason the M24 came about but also get why they want an autoloader. I feel the M110 is basically a solid system but it's been around long enough that these issues need to be addressed with an M110A1 upgrade methinks.

·
Forum Vassal
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm seeing a repeat of the old M21 rifle here. There was a reason the M24 came about but also get why they want an autoloader. I feel the M110 is basically a solid system but it's been around long enough that these issues need to be addressed with an M110A1 upgrade methinks.
I remember a story published in Time magazine nearly 7 years ago stating the Army needed more trigger pulling and less pure precision to address the types of attacks the Army was facing at that time in Iraq, so a semi auto was needed to up the firepower.

I forget how the story goes, but when the Brits wanted a .308 DMR the Knights gun either A: sucked ass and failed the competition outright, or B: sent a gun the Brits didn't want to bother evaluating for whatever reason. Still, LMT seems to have gotten it right with their .308 DMR, so it is not a .308 AR15 issue.

Either way, M110 concerns have been lingering for awhile now.

And for the price of one Knights MK11, you could get two LMT MWS', or nearly 3 SCAR-H's.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Exactly. I think there needs to be an alibi shot at the DM role in the squad and what he's equipped with. Something that'll hold "Minute of Torso" out to 600m would probably work fine. The Brits are leaning in the right direction.

·
Forum Vassal
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
More on the matter...

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2011/08/17/problems-with-the-semi-automatic-m110-sniper-rifle/

Jack Murphy, former Special Forces Soldier and author, has claimed that many of the special forces community are unhappy with the Knight's Armament Company M110 Semi-Automatic Sniper System. This is the first time I have read or heard of issues with the M110, other than that they were not supplying enough of them!

M110 Semi-Automatic Sniper System
Murphy says that the lack of a forward-assist is frustrating for snipers who chamber a round slowly, to prevent noise, and then use the forward assist to ensure the round is in battery. Apparently the SOP is to use a cleaning rod to push the bolt forward. Using a thumb or finger to push the bolt forward would also work.

·
Mod Squad
4,526 Posts
I believe the "Kitup" article references that an instructor at Crane NSWC advised on using the cleaning rod. He referred to one of the guys that work in the Match shop (Shannon B) and I hope he is not referring to Shannon making that comment. I know Shannon, he's a competent individual and former Marine Sniper. He wouldn't make a silly comment like that, so if the comment was made, it'd have to have been made by an instructor who just didn't know any better.

That being said, a couple guys in the Match Shop were showcasing the MK11 KAC suppressor being used on the .300WinMag MK13's (for fielding). I commented that it doesn't seem like a good idea due to the size of the round. They said, it's the same caliber, so it will work. I said yeah, but the round (case) is longer and has more ass behind it. They looked at me like I was stupid. A few months after being implemented, WHADDAYA KNOW!!! CRACKED WELDS FROM THE SUPPRESSORS BEING USED ON MK13'S!!!

Whatever.

·
Premium Member
3,048 Posts
Nothing beats an M40 for what it offers.

I always liked the mark 11/12 rifles. right before I got out we got the m110 and our snipers seemed to like them

1 - 12 of 12 Posts