ACR Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,048 Posts
The new pack is awesome with gear.

And I am definitely getting a Motherload. Not Desert digi though. Either tan or mar pat green

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
I'd prefer coyote but price on the desert digi is just too good (and I'm fairly fond of the pattern, as well).

·
Registered
1,155 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,048 Posts
I guess if I decide to go back packing up the Applachian trail like i've been considering, then I would spend the money for the pack

·
Registered
258 Posts
a standard jansport - lightweight simple and durable without loads of alice webbing to get caught on everything I am move through - also inconspicuous. If the SHTF you better become a student of the 10 pound backpack club if you plan on moving around alot. Better yet take a BOSS course and skip the bag all together

·
Mod Squad
1,892 Posts
Internal frame pack? I had an ems one that was nice. Pits the weight closer to your body and more on your hips.

·
Registered
442 Posts
a standard jansport - lightweight simple and durable without loads of alice webbing to get caught on everything I am move through - also inconspicuous. If the SHTF you better become a student of the 10 pound backpack club if you plan on moving around alot. Better yet take a BOSS course and skip the bag all together
A large part of preparation for SHTF(or any potential crisis situation) is training, to include hikes and ruck marches to improve your ability to travel with weight on your back. Keeping everything light is nice but why not train yourself to take more so you can be that much better prepared. I'm sure some of the other Military guys will agree it sucks traveling a long distance on foot, especially with a bunch of kit thats heavy as hell, but if you do it enough you get used to it and can carry anything you need, even excess supplies for extended duration or bartering, etc. Now I'm not saying load up a 90 pound ruck, but I think 10 pounds is extremely unrealistic, especially considering that you would have no way of knowing when/if you can get any sort of re-supply, as well as some of us having families and therefore needing to shoulder additional supplies.

·
Mod Squad
1,892 Posts
Yeah it didn't take much to get to 35 pounds not including water food and ammo. I just used dumbbells for our weekly ruck marches to keep the weight close to my body then the quarterly ruck marches we used a packing list. They were about 14 kilometers or so. My first one was in the Texas mud. It just stuck to my boots in huge clumps. It was to be done in under 3 hours of course it took me 4. Took alot of training to bring that time down.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Ya I know what you mean, we changed it up a lot and didnt always go by a set distance or weight, but usually while we were in the field we'd ruck anywhere from 4 to like 12 clicks, in full kit plus ruck, and we're Mech. Infantry so its much worse for guys who are Light Infantry, but either way you have to start somewhere, and like you said it doesnt take much to get up to 40 or even 50 pounds, plus kit, so trying to live off of only 10 pounds of stuff for an unknown amount of time, in unknown conditions is unrealistic, and any serious prepper should would to a realistic goal of weight and distance.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Was able to score a decent on the USMC Pack System and it is awesome. That is all (for now).

·
Premium Member
3,048 Posts
Yeah, i found a good deal on it as well. Ill probably be ordering the main pack soon

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab 2

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
I got the full set. I knew I would love the main ruck and knew the hydration would come in handy (use the grimlocks to attach direct to armor or use the straps without armor), but was a bit ambivalent about the assault pack and pleasantly surprised at how much I'm liking that as well. Probably gonna go on a hike this weekend to put the assault bag through it's paces.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FemRN3y8Wv4&feature=player_detailpage#t=1336s

Assault bag at 22:15
not sure the second hydration pouch was really needed but I guess better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Pulled out the rest of my MOLLE II and my seabag out of storage to prep it for my wife and load some things into my new USMC Pack Sys aka FILBE.

All three pieces:

USMC Pack ruck vs MOLLE II ruck. Note the old sleeping system is stored in the MOLLE while the sleeping system for the USMC set is collapsed with the stowage straps fully compressed.

Backs, note the hip belts:

MOLLE Patrol Pack and USMC Pack Assault Pack. Has the MOLLE fanny pack still loaded on the bottom it so maybe not entirely fair. New assault pack is bigger and has much more storage options than the MOLLE

The USMC Pack came with the Mystery Ranch Mystery Cinch, which I hooked up to my armor, and of course, it works as advertised and pulls the straps away from any inhibition of arm movement and quick releases very easily. Most impressive as part of the integrated package. I have the included grimlocks mounted to the back of my armor. Stow the Hydration setups straps and hooks right up. Run the tube through the ladder locks on the shoulder straps and ready to roll. Probably get another set of grimlocks but would use the included hydration pouches one each on the side of the main ruck and assault packs to use hydration off them. Very good piece of gear.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
http://www.tacticaldistributors.com/sale/multi-mission-kits

This is the same ruck and accessory pouches that they issue Security Forces now. The ruck is a little bit bigger than a normal 3-day pack. It's actually not bad kit and they've got it on sale. IIRC it's made by Eagle Ind but I may not be remembering correctly.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
found a good deal on the filbe
will be getting this soon
A buddy of mine who used both ilbe and filbe said filbe supposed to be more durable due to material used to make it and lighter

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
ended up with an ilbe, still considering the filbe
nice pack
only problem is me
I ended up with a 67lb bug out bag, IM going to die trying to walk around with this much weight
not including any ammo or firearm

21 - 40 of 44 Posts