ACR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've fired about 300 rounds now on combat courses and the selector lever is poorly designed ergonomically. I don't think it is just me, as everyone I've showed the rifle to comments on it.

Since the grip angle to the bore is closer than on an AR, the location of the selector is closer to the firing hand. When in the "fire" position, the ambi side digs into the operator's trigger finger, enough so to be annoying and a hinderance to accurate shooting. It will be less annoying using the first pad of the trigger finger, but if using other shooting techniques common to the AR-style trigger, such as using the first joint of the trigger finger, the selector lever is in the way.

In addition, it is impossible to have the weapon in a proper low-ready position and actuate the selector without breaking the dominant hand firing grip. The only way around it is to do an HK-style cant of the weapon when in low ready, and the rotate it to the upright position after moving the selector lever. This is inefficient in a modern design, especially when the existing AR platform is perfectly 100% A-OK in that regard. This is a regression, in a rifle that is supposed to be an improvment.

Bushmaster could solve both problems by simply redesigning the angle of the selector lever pad. Rather than the AR-style position, the lever should be offset about 30 degrees counter-clockwise, and made longer, with a final downward angle. This would put the lever out of the way of the operator's trigger finger, AND put the lever at a position that it could be operated while the dominant hand is in position on the grip.

I'm surprised that in such a hyped-up design - where ergonomics are highlighted - that the selector was done the way it was. Fail.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Thread I started at the other site:http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=2&f=28&t=194971&light=[/url] (left cold)

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Agreed, one of the few places that the original design wasn't so hot. Hoping once spare parts are availible, we can purchase a safety lever and hack on it. Or maybe someone will make a redesigned one and have it for the shot show next year.

Hoping that lots of new stuff for the ACR will be at next years shot show........hoping

:)

·
Registered
138 Posts
didn't know if you were aware of it or not, but magpul has a redesigned scar selector on their website...and since magpul is closer to the ACR, i wouldn't doubt it if we'd see something similar from them...sometime down the line...

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
What I did was bobble down the selector switch on the right side into a tear drop shape. That way it ses to keep out of my way. In a pinch, I can still manipulate the selector from that side if needed. I agree, though that it should be a shorter rotation like the 45 degree SCAR selector.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
didn't know if you were aware of it or not, but magpul has a redesigned scar selector on their website...and since magpul is closer to the ACR, i wouldn't doubt it if we'd see something similar from them...sometime down the line...
We can only hope. In fact I just looked at the Magpul SCAR lever and it looks pretty good.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts