ACR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
738 Posts
Buy a good pair of gloves with it. Word is that the pencil barrel heats up quick and the handguard with it. That, and the outrageous price tag are why I don't own one. JM2CW.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I like the SCAR but at the price it comes at is not worth it. I really despise a reciprocating charging handle on modern technology weapons. So with the SCAR you will have to watch out for the CH handle fucking you up and getting 3rd 2nd degree burns lol. Also they are in the same boat as the ACR owners with getting factory parts.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
I have one. If you have only shot AR15s before the transition to a SCAR is very easy. Except the charging handle, all controls are in the same place. The rifle its self is well built. My copy is very picky accuracy wise. I found a load that it likes and can shot 1.5 inch groups at 100 yards. (when I do my part) Other ammo has opened up to 3-5 inches depending on the brand.

As bigdog said, I feel the butt stock is the weak link in the system. Seems "cheap" compared to the ACR's stock.

As Thunderdan mentioned, it does seem to heat up alot quicker then other rifles. But the other rifles will catch up quickly. Example, today I shot 300 round outta my ACR in 60 minutes and I could not hold on to the polymer handguard with a bare hand any more.

As Boovar mentioned, the recipicating charging handle is a minus. But as long as you are aware of it, it can be worked with easily.

Would I buy one again, yeah, probably. But I have to say that between my ACR, SCAR and XCR, the SCAR doesnt see the outside of the safe as much as the other two. (Current round counts: ACR 5000, SCAR 1700 and XCR 5100)

Reactions: mpow66m

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
today I shot 300 round outta my ACR in 60 minutes and I could not hold on to the polymer handguard with a bare hand any more.
Yeah. When I dumped that 500rds of steel cased Hornady a little while back it damn near burnt my hand. That gas that leaks around the piston is HOT!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have shot quite a bit of ARs, I also shoot my ACR a decent amount, alot more than any other rifle. For some reason I held a SCAR 16 at this recent gunshow and fell inlove with it, probably becuase I just got done hauling my heavy ACR around all morning. The charging handle thing isnt a big deal to me. The big thing I dont seem fond of with the scar is the stock. I dont think il get one for quite sometime with a price tag of 2.3k. It was just an urge that came and went =P.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
No, I don't have one. I looked at one side-by-side when shopping for my ACR. I liked it except for the things that have been noted here.

Someone make an adapter to allow an ACR stock to mount onto a SCAR.

Reactions: mpow66m

·
Mod Squad
4,526 Posts
End user feedback is what kept me from buying one. I don't know one Team guy that liked his Light, but a few that liked their Heavy's.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
End user feedback is what kept me from buying one. I don't know one Team guy that liked his Light, but a few that liked their Heavy's.

what do they think of the ACR?

·
Mod Squad
4,526 Posts
The AC-what? That's the question I get asked the most when I ask if they've heard of it. The majority don't know what the hell it is, and they probably won't unless it wins some competition and passes the OTB and other test given to it by the Team guys.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
really they ve never heard of it,do u try to inform them.Being a Team armorer what do u think of it?

·
Mod Squad
4,526 Posts
You have to realize that not all Team guys are gun guys. In my experience having worked with them for over 6 years, approx 10% are no-shit gun guys. I was actually genuinely surprised how many (new guys) didn't own a gun period. They get so many deals thrown at them though, after a deployment they usually buy a Sig P226, then maybe an M4.

I loved the concept of the original Masada blew me away. I've wanted one in a bad way when it was initially announced. I currently have the receiver and rail, and awaiting parts (Trades anyone?). I'm looking forward to SBR'ing by the time all parts are received.

·
Forum Vassal
709 Posts
I had a SCAR-L and I really liked it.

You get used to the reciprocating charging handle quickly, and I really like the stock.

From and engineering perspective, I like the piston and "oprod" interface a lot more than the "piston on barrel" design of the ACR.

It does get very hot though. VERY hot.

It also has zero spare parts and barrel options. As a result, I sold mine with only a few rounds through it after I got tired of waiting for support to materialize.

However, if FN sold spares and SBR barrels, I'd buy a new SCAR again. Cool gun.

·
Super Moderator
4,707 Posts
You have to realize that not all Team guys are gun guys. In my experience having worked with them for over 6 years, approx 10% are no-shit gun guys. I was actually genuinely surprised how many (new guys) didn't own a gun period. They get so many deals thrown at them though, after a deployment they usually buy a Sig P226, then maybe an M4.

I loved the concept of the original Masada blew me away. I've wanted one in a bad way when it was initially announced. I currently have the receiver and rail, and awaiting parts (Trades anyone?). I'm looking forward to SBR'ing by the time all parts are received.
from my dealings with sf guys it was about the same, minus the snipers, hell when i brought my 416 upper in they about pooped and were surprised as hell that you could even have one

·
Mod Squad
4,526 Posts
Exactly. The guys who had gone through Sniper (for NSW it's a three part course) normally came back with a renewed interest in guns. I had one buddy that started reading as many ballistics books he could get his hands on, and another one who would take his issue 77gr remove the rounds, weigh, then seperate them by weight, then count the granules of powder, re-press and weigh the complete round and test, keeping comprehensive data records on his different loads.

The same guy on the recommendation from a DG buddy, built a 12.5" Noveske upper with Switchblock, and mounted an OPS Inc brake and collar. He threw that on his issue MK12 lower and had a compact sniper platform that was approx 6" shorter than his MK12 unsuppressed, or when he mounted his suppressor, it was approx the same length as his unsuppressed issue upper.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I'd like to get my hands on a SCAR-H, but I think they are too pricey. Unfortunatly, what I think is too pricey doesn't mean the market won't bear it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts