ACR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! So I've had my ACR for almost a month now and I love it a lot but if I had to make a complaint about the ACR it would be the weight on the front end.

Yesterday I went to the rifle range and saw a guy about my age shooting a SCAR 16S. I thought to myself GREAT I can take some pictures and try shooting it. He was a cool guy and we both shot each others rifles. I was surprised how light the SCAR felt vs. my ACR. He was surprised how heavy my ACR was. I did 10 rounds on the SCAR and you can really feel the bolt cycle. It's something that I can't complain about yet but something I could get use to. Is that how a piston AR feels?

·
Registered
88 Posts
i didnt like the scar when i firsts got my hands on one. for one i hate the fact of a riciprocating charging handle. just for the fact that if you are shooting up against a barrier or something you have to be cognisiant of it. andother thing the stock had a good wobble to it. and ive heard when you go to lock the stck open from the folding position you gotta put that button back in otherwise you can break the clip deal on it and it wont lock open at all. it also seem like a glorified ar. with the acr there some change like the bolt release to help with speed. i wanted CHANGE!!! lol as far is it being some what heavier. well to me so what. heavier isnt so bad it helps with recoil so you can reaquire after a shot. mine doesnt seem unbalanced but i dont have the enhanced version either. im guessin the rails make it feel like that. my opinion if you aint gunna use it lose it. throwing the rail protectors on there doesnt help with the balance issue either. little stuff adds up. if your that wirried about it i would get rid of the rail and go with the moe handguard. anless your gunna put a bunch of stuff on it. other than that you can buy the 2-3 inch rail to put on the hangguard if you gunna throw a broom stick on there. but thats just my 2 cents on it.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I had a scar first and it had a bad barrel,accuracy was terrible.I traded it for an enhanced version and haven't looked back the acr is very accurate and no ftf(yes the scar did it once).

The only issue i've had with the acr was the wrench(on the barrel)came loose and was flopping around,i couldn't tighten it enough,so i sent it to bushmaster and they replaced the hex head bolt with a torx head.It's tight now but haven't fired it since.Of course either way that doesn't interfere with it shooting,it just moves up and down inside the handle and makes alittle noise,will keep you ppl.posted on the results.

Target is only 25 yard,beginning sight in(10 rds,gotta start somewhere..lol.Stock sights).

·
Registered
226 Posts
I have both the ACR Enhanced and a SCAR 17. I have shot neither as I got them within a week of each other.
The SCAR feels lighter, the stock feels flimsy, the trigger is a lot better than my ACR and the lower sucks: The ACR lower is light years ahead of the AR style lower the SCAR has, I hate it!
The ACR is heavier but feels more solid, the adjustable check piece fits me better than the SCAR, the fore end pin is difficult to set (it should be more natural to set – like the SCAR take down pin), the ACR trigger is TERRIBLE!
The SCAR is a quality job, though the machining of the bolt carrier and some other parts looks a lot better on the ACR. It is a quality piece, it is obvious.
The ACR has a way to go on the quality scene but has a lot of promise; hopefully the conversions will come to be. This rifle has a lot of promise – but needs to mature some.
I keep looking at the SCAR lower, it is TERRIBLE AR/15, 50 year old design! I keep looking at the ACR lower all controls on both sides – now there is a concept! I hope Magpul will make a lower for the SCAR but doubt they will. I would buy a ACR style lower for the SCAR in a N.Y. second! Yes, I would hope Magpul would make this lower with replacable grips…
A lightened version or the ACR stock would be a great addition for the SCAR – it is a better design! Magpul, where are you?
Both rifles are great and I am happy to have both – now all I need is to shoot them – alas the ACR is shipped to BM for repairs before it was shot – QUALITY needs to be job #1 when producing a new rifle like this. A note, BM Customer Service rocks, great people!

·
Registered
54 Posts
I really like both the SCAR and the ACR, I could only buy one though. After much thought, I finally chose the ACR (FDE Enhanced) over the SCAR because I liked how solid the ACR felt compared to the SCAR. I also purchased a S&W M&P .45 in FDE to go with my new ACR, great combo. :)

·
Registered
103 Posts
The front of the acr is heavier because they use a heavier hammer forged barrel the scar 16,17 use a mil spec chrome lined barrel (cheaper). if you want to do a simple test just slam the stocks open the acr feels perfect the scar , well let's just say the latch breaks. Hell this was one of the biggest complaints of the military. I love my scar 17 I would love it more with a quality barrel , and a revised stock latching system. the scar 16 is not as good as an Acr IMHO.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Well the good news is these platforms are very new and within 2-5 years there will be a lot of up grades for both of these guns and from there you can perfect them.

·
Mod Squad
1,892 Posts
At first I was a little bummed to see the scar on the sold rack but my acr was on the wall. I didn't look at the scar much and hadn't realized it was like an ar lower. Thy did make m16 for the govt. It seemed like a really high quality rifle but the acr did seem to be more solid. Id like to have a scar 17 but id take a. 308 win. Acr over it any day. The melonite barrel is supposed to outlast chrome lined I think. Plus its born from magpul. Can't go wrong. I would of liked to put a different grip on the acr but thinking back. If I had the scar it would probably end up with the one on the acr or one similar anyway. And bushmaster makes some nice stuff and has some incredible engineers. In a few years as mentioned above the aftermarket will come to the surface. Were gaining members so we know people are buying them.

·
Mod Squad
1,892 Posts
Its all good. That proves that acr owners are just cooler people. Ha id deffinatly buy a scar if I had the money to throw around. It is nice. It seems a bit early in the game anyway to really compare the two. Let's look back on this in 2 years and see what the aftermarket has done for each.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Its all good. That proves that acr owners are just cooler people. Ha id deffinatly buy a scar if I had the money to throw around. It is nice. It seems a bit early in the game anyway to really compare the two. Let's look back on this in 2 years and see what the aftermarket has done for each.
Its been 2 years...

I love my ACR but I hate Bushmaster.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Looking back two years later I'd say that the aftermarket for both rifles is pretty thin. You still can't get barrels for either rifle. Thanks to Geissele we have really excellent triggers for both rifles, though.
I know we tend to not look at things this way, but it's still very early in the life cycles of both rifles. More goodies will come for them as time passes and there are more copies of each in peoples' hands.

·
Premium Member
2,889 Posts
Looking back two years later I'd say that the aftermarket for both rifles is pretty thin. You still can't get barrels for either rifle. Thanks to Geissele we have really excellent triggers for both rifles, though.
I know we tend to not look at things this way, but it's still very early in the life cycles of both rifles. More goodies will come for them as time passes and there are more copies of each in peoples' hands.
False. You can buy complete barrel assemblies for the ACR through an aftermarket source(Marvin).

But I agree, its very early, and we will see many great things come to market. I personally am very happy with the current state of my Acr's.

Honestly I'd say the aftermarket for both rifles is about even, though the acr may be pulling ahead a bit. But I will be honest, I don't follow much on the scar and things for the scar, so I may not have the full picture.

·
Premium Member
2,889 Posts
I just pointed out the fact that you said "the aftermarket" and then said no barrels were available. But true, no OEM barrels out. Because of that, I'm done giving bushmaster my money.

·
Mod Squad
4,526 Posts
To be fair, I believe barrel assemblies for the SCAR are available from Hi Desert Dog (aftermarket).

It is lame that these companies choose not to release the barrel assemblies at reasonable prices.

Let's see what Beretta does with their ARX100 as they've claimed the caliber conversions are already complete and will be available along with the rifles, and at approx $500.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
To be fair, I believe barrel assemblies for the SCAR are available from Hi Desert Dog (aftermarket).
Perhaps, and maybe I missed it, but I have not personally seen anybody over on FN Forums who has one. Last heard they were saying July for availability, but we've heard that before.

·
Registered
180 Posts
When you put it like that its extremely depressing.

Holy fuck, Bushmaster is ran by monkeys.

Someone else posted somewhere on this forum about the panic and Bushmaster was more concerned about making AR-15s. They make some the cheapest Ar-15s out there. They are more concerned with making cheap AR-15s then high profit margin ACR items.

They could probably have a higher profit margin from selling the original Remington rail and lower, than they could from their cheap AR-15. When selling companies profit margins are important, not just overall profit.

Damn just imagine, some people on here have bought Noveske barrels to be fitted for their ACRs.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.