ACR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my mom asked me to help her find a good pistol for self defense (she likes to take road trips with her dog so she needs something being that she is 51 years old and alone on these trips). I took her to the local gun shop so she could hold some and figure out what felt best in her hand. She really like the S&W M&P9C. It's a 9mm, 12+1. She really likes the weight and feel of it in her hand and the ease of use with it. Just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on this pistol?

·
Mod Squad
4,526 Posts
I was actually considering getting my wife one as well. She has a P2000 with an NP3'd slide, but likes how the 9C feels in the hand. She's got her CHL for TX so there should be NO excuse not to carry. Unless you consider my 2yr old boy who gets into EVERYTHING.

I've heard it's easy to bring the M&P's up to par (trigger, backstraps, etc...) so for the price, it looks pretty good to me. Besides, if she gets a new pistol, I will have to get a new pistol. That Sig P229R Dark Elite looks good to me.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I have heard really good things about the M&P series from users. However, I have a stigma for them myself. A local agency adopted the M&P40. I heard reports from their qualifying that they were having numerous problems with magazines dropping at random during fire. Now, I try to take this with a grain of salt. They came off of S&W 4046's and I'm not sure if user error or poor training was a factor. I just can't put my dollars on one. No matter how good they look or feel, which they do.

I'll add this, though. The one time that I put a mag through one, I liked it. I'm sure that a 9mm compact would be good. How will she be carrying?

·
Mod Squad
4,526 Posts
SONUVABITCH! I spoke with the Mil sales rep and the discount we were getting was only $468 for the 9C (no safety) and 3 high caps.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Personally, I have never had the magazine problem nor have I heard of it. Not saying it doesn't happen, but the M&P is my CCW, IDPA and 3 Gun pistol. I fire it with two hands, strong hand only as well as support hand only in various positions while standing still as well as on the move. If it were an issue I am almost certain it would have happened by now. I'm going to go with improper handling until I hear more.S&W offers Homeland Security pricing Tommy, did you already EAS or are you on terminal leave? Try to get registered if possible. I think my HS price on an M&P9c would be $399 shipped, no tax at the place I'm registered with.
Well, without naming the agency, of course, I can tell you that, in my opinion and many officers from their side, their training sucks. Because of that, a lot of the guys that don't shoot on their own don't get much instruction. So it wouldn't surprise me a bit to hear that they just said, "Okay, here's our new sidearm. Let's shoot a mag through it and then we'll qualify standing on the line."

·
Premium Member
3,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
High DRAG, I EAS'd on July 1. So what does that mean for me on that pricing? Also, do they offer discounted prices on Sigs and HK?

·
Premium Member
3,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmm...Would you be interested in buying and then selling to me?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I own a .40c,it's an older version, and after about 500 rounds, the mags started dropping at random. I researched the issue and found that it was a common issue, S&W came out with an upgraded magazine release to take care of the issue, I think the mag release is called a version or revision 2. I notified S&W, the rep. I talked with gave me the option of sending my gun in to the work done by them, I opted to have them send me the replacement part, free of charge, and I swapped out the magazine release myself. It was about a 2 minute job, and since I installed the new part, it took care of the issue. I have a full size .40 and a compact 9mm, I haven't had any issues with either gun dropping magazines, the full size .40 is from when the M&P's first came out, so it may be in the same class as the compact, and 9c is a newer version, so it may not experience this issue.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Powershift, I agree with you on that!!! I carry a G19 daily at work, we're a Glock Police equipped Department and have been so for 10 yrs. Now. On my off time I carry a G26 that I've tricked out with a full stipple job that I taught myself to do. Soon as I figure out how to post pics I'll post a few of my work.

·
Registered
136 Posts
It's an awesome pistol, I carried one for awhile with truglo tfo sights and an apex duty/carry action enhancement kit in it. I highly recommend it, hell half my friends picked up M&P pistols since I pimped mine out. My full size has the same truglo sights and an apex tactical forward set sear kit.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts