ACR Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://soldiersystems.net/2010/01/15/robinson-arms-sues-remington-bushmaster-rra-and-magpul/

Robinson Arms Sues Remington, Bushmaster, RRA, and Magpul

Robinson Arms, manufacturers of the XCR have filed suit yesterday in US District Court for Utah against Remington, Bushmaster, Rock River Arms, and Magpul Industries based on alleged infingement of their patent (Multi-caliber ambidextrously controllable firearm #7,596,900) issued 6 October, 2009 and initially filed in August of 2003.

Specifically, the weapons alleged to have violated Robinson’s patent are the Remington/Bushmaster ACR, Magpul Masada/Massoud, and the RRA LAR-8. All of these weapons feature a magazine release that is manipulated by the trigger finger from within the trigger guard as well as a similar bot hold open device.

Both Bushmaster and Remington are part of the Freedom group, owned by Cerberus Capital Management. So for taking on Freedom Group I give them an “E” for Effort. Of note is the timing of the suit, just days before SHOT Show as well as Robinson’s announcement on their website that they would be exhibiting after all in a booth (#20034) shared with Serbu.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I would think that this one would be easy to dismiss based on prior art, especially the ambi part. This industry has a long history of repeating innovation, and with some digging, the merits of this lawsuit may prove to be lacking. That being said, I have not read all the details of the suit...

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually, I believe the merits of the case to be quite valid. how the bolt hold open works is not the issue here. It is the ambidextrous manipulation feature that is allegedly infringing. You know the bolt release at the trigger guard area. The problem here is, that Alex Robinson, was the very first person to have it on a Rifle, the XCR. A lot of people think the FAL had it. Not true. The FAL did not have ambidextrous controls in this regard. There is no prior art to having the battery control located at the trigger guard like the XCR. The XCR was the first and only until the ACR.

The question comes down to this: Is the ACR using the same thing as the XCR and does it work exactly the same way? If yes, then infringement. If no, then fine.

For the record, I am very familiar with the XCR as I own one. Honestly, there is no other way to do it except the way that Alex Robinson patented and that which is used on the XCR. So my inclination here would be that there is some kind of infringement occurring here.

As to the damages, well that is something that we will have to wait and see. Also, my fear is that the ACR's design will be changed in an effort to avoid licensing fees to Robinson Arms, thereby raising the price of the ACR. Hopefully, I will get my ACR before this happens.

Here is exactly what the case is about:

·
Registered
12 Posts
I see your point here and stand corrected, looks very similar. That said, there was a company in the early eighties that was selling an ambi replacement for the FAL. In digging through a few old Shotgun News I was not able to find the ad but I do remember it.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Magpul still holds the patents for the Masada/ACR.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
There's actually a few different patents out there for the ACR and associated accessories. Why it's not marked as such on the rifle itself is beyond me but I'd guess that there isn't a legal need to as a great deal of products out there don't have one listed either.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
My Glocks don't have notices on them, either. For that matter none of my weapons do. Neither do my Ka-bar or CRKT or other knives. The only weapon or piece of weapon I can think of it with a patent listed on it is an older Phrobis III bayonet that says Pat Pending.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
My Glocks don't have notices on them, either. For that matter none of my weapons do. Neither do my Ka-bar or CRKT or other knives. The only weapon or piece of weapon I can think of it with a patent listed on it is an older Phrobis III bayonet that says Pat Pending.
Glocks actually have a patent notice, (3 different numbers on my 3rd gen G21) on the right grip, just above the mag well. Hard to read, easy to miss. It's hit or miss depending on the company.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts