ACR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all I love my ACR, I just need a little help in getting it looked at.

I tried emailing Bushmaster several times, and calling, but after 20 minutes I was told to leave a message by an automated message followed by one saying the mailbox is full.

My rifle fired several boxes of 5.56 ammo without any problems. When I loaded some match .223 Hornaday ammo and pressed the bolt release, it fired the round without touching the trigger. This happened 2 more times including a 3 round burst. There were 3 occurrences in 27 rounds. After each one, I removed the BCG and inspected it, it looked fine. Two different type of Hornaday ammo were tried, and Winchester white box. The same result.

I disassembled the BCG and checked to see that there was nothing visibly wrong with the firing pin.

All rounds fired in battery, and ejected properly.

Is there anyone I can contact at Bushmaster that will reply to me?

I chose this forum because after 50 posts and 1700 reads, my original post on FiringLine Formus, they closed the thread.

Is this a problem, or am I just whining....

Thanks in advance,

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
Re: New ACR Enhanced slam fires .223 rounds

BM reads this forum. Giv'em a day or so. I am sure you will receive a PM.

·
Registered
88 Posts

look at your primers first. what primers are you using? if its 5.56 ammo you used before they wont slam fire. ok well anything can slam fire but the chances are way lower cause they use CCI primers. last i knew it was #41 CCI primers. i know the fireing pin has that spring there to help prevent slam fires but the pin still hits the primers and leaves a little dent in the primers. not as bad as a AR would but it still does. id check your primers first and go from there. if there soft primers they will slam fire or if there not getting seated in deep enough to the primer pocket. and the whole 3 round burst deal um i would becareful when that happens. cause that could cause you trouble if you dont have a class 3 reguardless if its a ammo failure or not. if theres a cop at the range or someone calls the cops and says you have a full auto you will prolly sit in a jail cell for a while until it gets looked into. im just saying.

·
Registered
10 Posts

Sounds like an easy fix. Stronger firing pin spring would probably do it. Hopefully BM gets it worked out for you.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts

The thread was probably closed on the other site because people get a little hinky when someone mentions they have a rifle that fires a burst. Accidental or intentional, it's attention you don't really want or the black helicopters and stormtroopers will be at your house. The correct and legal answer is to disassemble the firearm and don't shoot it anymore until it goes back to the factory for overhaul because it could be considered a <gulp> machinegun. Don't shoot the messenger, that's the way it is, if you or I agree or not.

Those Hornady rounds sound like they have a really soft primer though which is weird considering folks shoot them in AR's that have NO firing pin spring.

·
Premium Member
325 Posts

Did BM contact you yet? Or were you able to get a hold of them? Can we get an update please? :(

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

The original closed discussion
http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=422632

I have talked to three people at Bushmaster by phone. They seem very helpful, and concerned with my problem. However I cannot get anyone to send me an RMA# and a return address. I have asked 3 different people, and left multiple emails for the gunsmith that is looking into the problem. I doubt there is anything they can do without having there hands on the firearm. It is the end of the 3rd week since I attempted my first contact.

In the link to the discussion above, there are photos of the slam fired ammo, and examples of unfired ammo from the same box. There were many helpful people but the moderator said that there was too much drama, and closed it.

I tired to post the pictures here, but could not figure out how to insert the attached images into the post.

My primary concern was to warn others that they should be aware that the problem has occurred and as always operate your weapon in a safe manner. I was shocked when I hit the bolt release and a round fired, trust me it wakes you up in a hurry. By the response I have received from other ACR owners, this seems to be isolated to my rifle. As soon as I get some closure, I will be happy to post my experience.

The 5.56 rounds I fired had exceptional accuracy, and I really look forward to taking it back to the range. I just don't think taking it to a public range is very responsible in it's current condition.

This rifle is one of several that I own including a Busmaster Varminter, SKS, FAL, NHM-91, HK-91 and a few others. I have owned and fired "black rifles" for at least 20 years, but this is the first problem that I have had. Wish me luck on a speedy resolutions....

·
Registered
1,587 Posts

Yes, you're correct in not shooting the rifle anymore. All legal stuff aside a slam fire could also occur out of battery and that's an awful lot of pressure that isn't fully contained in a locked chamber. Disassemble it and put a tag on it so it's marked as unserviceable. I'll see if I can't help get hold of someone to help you out.

I'm wondering if you don't have a sharp firing pin or maybe a weaker spring? A piece of debris wedged into the firing pin channel floating around and seizing it every now and again.

·
Registered
88 Posts

I will bet it has something to do with the reloads. And shooting reloaded ammo through any firearm voids the warrenty so if there is a problem bushmaster wont fix it now.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts

[quote author=matt2636 link=topic=158.msg838#msg838 date=1284687867]
I will bet it has something to do with the reloads. And shooting reloaded ammo through any firearm voids the warrenty so if there is a problem bushmaster wont fix it now.
[/quote]

Possible, but given the nature of the failure I don't see why they wouldn't fix it. And those slams apparently happened on factory loads.

·
Registered
88 Posts

They wont do it. No manufacturer will fix anything under warrenty if you shot reloads through it. It wont matter what the problem is now. They will say its you reloads. "Oh you cracked your handguads cracked only after 200 rounds? I think its cause you told me you shot your faulty reloads through it" it wont matter what the problem is now. Id be shocked if they fixed it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

I was excited to find a reply from a Bushmaster gunsmith in my inbox today. Shortly after that a PREPAID FedEx shipping label was also in my inbox.

It looks like I am almost back in business, any delay now is my own fault...

Thanks BM for the prepaid label!!

I will update upon the return of my ACR. I am getting excited already!

·
Registered
2,790 Posts

Please!!!!

Very interested to see what the issue is and how they fixed it.

8)

·
Registered
303 Posts

I had a similar problem. turned out to be soft primer in a reload. trying out different ammos & mags. had to stop shooting it for the rest of the day, range officer freaked.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Here is the official reply from Bushmaster directly from the ticket. It took 2 weeks to get an RMA# and exactly 2 weeks to send, and receive back my rifle from repair.

Repair Notes:
D101.1
D140
ADJUSTED FIRE CONTROL GROUP. BOLT HAD A SMALL CHIP BY CAM PIN. EXCHANGED BOLT ASSEMBLY AS WELL. TEST FIRED OK 90 ROUNDS WITH NO MALFUNCTION.

I have not fired it since receiving it today. I will give a range report this weekend.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts

Thanks for the follow up, looking forward to your report after range time. Sounds like they actually looked at the whole rifle for faults since they replaced the bolt as well. Good sign!!

8)

·
Registered
1,587 Posts

Good to hear! Start off slow with the test fire though. Run a handful of mags with just one round each, then a few with a couple rounds, a few with three. Just in case there was another problem it won't get out of control on you. If it works through those without issue then load her up, relax, and have a good day at the range!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Re: Resolved - New ACR Enhanced slam fires .223 rounds

Range report:

I took the repaired ACR to the range. I tried 5 types, a box each of .223, and a few boxes of 5.56, without any problems. Today at least 200 rounds of several different types were fired without any feed problem or failure. It appears as though there was a repairable problem, and Bushmaster repaired it to my satisfaction.

I shot 3 types of Hornaday ammo, Remington, Winchester, and some surplus.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
EXCELLENT!!! Thanks for reporting back

1 - 20 of 28 Posts