ACR Forum banner

Remington 700 VTR

6K views 19 replies 5 participants last post by  Tommys229 
#1 ·
Anyone have any knowledge/experience with this rifle? I'm very interested in it, but if I were to buy it, I would like to get a Mcmillan stock or some other tactical stock that offers adjustable cheek and buttstocks. Free floating would be a plus

#2 ·
I don't have the VTR, but I have SPS with a 20" barrel. Puppy is a tack driver, when I do my part. I get 1/2 groups at 100 yards, when I do my part. :)

#3 ·
I'm really considering the vtr. I've been finding it online for around 600 bucks. I saw a guy at the range the other day with one on a mcmillan stock and he was just dead on with it. i figure 600 for it, about 1500 for a scope and snag some harris bipods and it should be good to go

#5 ·
I thought the old saying was that the scope should cost atleast the same amount if not double the cost of the rifle? Or is scope technology progressed to the point that that doesnt really apply anymore?

#11 ·
IMO most of the scopes of today are fairly all close in performance. The lower costing scopes of today are better than the super expensive scopes of a few years back. The Elite 3200 mil dot got great reviews and has an amazing price so I thought I would give it a shot. It ended up being perfect for me, good fov, clear glass, no shifts, very easy to zero, positive clicks, adjustable focus/zoom, weather proof and durable.

I intentionally bought to see how good it was going to be and if it didn't work I was going to throw it on a 10/22 and get a leopold. For now its working great.

#6 ·
Redfield makes some great scopes for plinking and what not. I believe they are made by leupold. Leupolds mark v seem to be the ones used alot in the rifle magazines for accuracy testing. I dont think they're all that expensive. $300-$400. I want a nightforce but that is the cadillac of optics. I don't know mug about remington but the remington 700 action is the one you want. I went to he store for the sps tactical I wanted but it was sold so I got a savage model ten police type. It was accurate but it didn't hold accuracy. Sold it to put to the acr. Id deffinatly get the remmy 700 if you're going to get a different stock then you seem to of found a good deal. I believe the sps barrel is heavier than the vtr. Which helps accuracy. Also holds accuracy a bit longer after it warms up. Stainless is the way to go beyond that.

#8 ·
Yeah I didn't either till I started looking into long range shooting. Alot of the 1000 yard match shooters use em. Try are very clear precise optics and highly durable. A member on this forum is selling one actually. It seems like the rifle your looking to build is something you're going to have for he long haul. Id look at nightforce. They are not cheap but with optics you get what you pay for. Good luck finding your rifle anyway. Im working on a ruger m77 mark 2 myself. Going to get the barrel cryo-accurized. Then moly coat the bore. Its a nice rifle but I should have got the remington 700. If anything to have he action to build off of. There's more aftermarket stocks and what not for those. Im stuck with integral rings on my ruger which prettymuch limits me to a 50mm objective lens and 30mm tube. Not a small scope but there is bigger

#10 ·
There are companies that slowly freeze the barrel then heat and refreeze it over about a 24 hour period. It realigns the molecules in the metal. Has lots of benefits. Easier to clean. Lots more accurate. Hard to explain exactly. 300below.com is who im going with. First time customers get a 2 for 1 price. This is one of many accuracy increase techniques. Hand and fire lapping involves firing ammunition that are coated with different grit compounds to smooth and polish re bore. Moly coating the bore. Reduces friction in a big way. Shooting Moly coated bullets will do this. But coating the bore by hand takes time. I've seen an old remington 700 carbons which was a little worn out shoot a ten shot one inch group at 200 meters. After the owner did a Moly coating.

#13 · (Edited)
#17 ·
You talking dollars or meters? Also have you done research and have an idea what you are looking for? Mil dot, cross hairs, bdc? Illuminated or not?

BDC's are fun imo, mil dots can work like a bdc and will give you more options but take a little learning to use.

#18 ·
mil dot illum. im used to the mil dot from my time shooting the m40. price about 500-1000 bucks. i doubt i take any shots over 500-750 meters

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.