ACR Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
so, i've started reloading 223's with "eh" type of results. now i do not know just yet if it's my bullets (remington 55gr FMJ), powder load (H335 24.3gr), dies (lee pacesetters, although i correct run outs with hornady concentricity tool), or even the acr's barrel.

im going to purchase some hornady bullets, do a test load of 10 or so. then load some with a little more powder, to 25gr or so. then seat the bullets a little less.

i'll probably load them one by one, and not on the progressive or turret presses as well.

right now my current loads are:
step 1 - Lee single stage deprime/prime, FL size
step 2 - load on hornady LnL AP press
bullets seated to 2.20" (a little shorter than recommended, so i'll test 2.24-5 or so)
light factory crimp with lee die (will change out to my hornady bullet seat and taper crimp)

remington bullets 55gr FMJ
Hodgdon H335 24.3gr
Winchester small rifle primers
remington 223 new brass.

i just purchased a boat load of 5.56 lake city brass (don't trust range brass), i'll test those when i receive them.

groups are 2-3ish MOA, sometimes less, sometimes more.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
btw, i dont have pics of my targets at the moment, will post when i get home.

also, when i shot AE223 factory loads, they were inconsistent as well.

·
Mod Squad
1,892 Posts
Im new to reloading so I can't really offer much advice. Im not familiar with the recipe. Right now im setting up for 69gr. Sierra matchking with varget powder +/- 24 grains. Remington primers winchester virgin brass. Its he cocktail sierra lists as an accuracy load. If found when I change ammo types I get a few erratic shots till the rifle gets used to the load. Im curious about the seating depth you used maybe its effecting it?

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Take your calipers and get some measurements on those Remmy pills. I've seen them be a little under sized on occasion. I've shot loads of them and accuracy was always "good enough". The AE223 is based on an M193 loading which in itself has something like a 4MOA acceptance.

I didn't see it listed on there but you are checking case length after sizing, correct? And trimming if need be? With those bullets you'll need to seat them based on the cannelure. my rule of thumb is to have at least 2/3 of it below the case mouth for crimping.

In the end though, some loads just don't perform in some rifles. Get a box of some MatchKings or some other quality bullet and run through the rifle. Get another good marksman to verify what you're getting as well.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
case length trimmed to 1.750" with chamfer/debur, prior to use of any new brass and i spot check after the group gets cycled.

anyone have input on loading data for 5.56 lake city brass?

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
LC brass is good to go. I use it almost exclusively. I don't have any other recommendation other than the usual, start low and work your up though most of my loads interchange in my rifles without issue no matter what brass I use. You can use just about anything to remove the crimp; either swaging it out or reaming.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i just bought the dillon super swage 600, based upon youtube vids :D to decrimp my lake city and "maybe" some range brass if im desparate.

do you powder 5.56 differently than 223? given all this talk about pressure differences between the two.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
I don't use different loads based on brass. My pet loads are good to go with my rifles and any brass I've used thus far. For the bulk of 223 I use H335 and the Re15 for the heavier bullets.

·
Mod Squad
1,892 Posts
I don't use different loads based on brass. My pet loads are good to go with my rifles and any brass I've used thus far. For the bulk of 223 I use H335 and the Rheave15 for the heavier bullets.
re15 for heavier. 223? Like 69 grain? I only got varget but want another to try. I was just going off the sierra manual. I may be getting off path but ill be using the target stuff in my dpms bull 20 then maybe work up a 50 grain recipe for my acr mainly on small game. Setting up my dillon 550b tonight. Kind of tricky. Indexing plate giving me trouble. So my accuracy testing is delayed.

·
Registered
36 Posts
There are two things that I have found in my "Quest" to perfect the .223 Remington round. I have heard some horrible reviews of Remington 55 grain bullets, like varying length and weight, a lot of people will not buy them or use them for strictly plinking. The second thing that I have found is that 5.56 marked brass and .223 marked brass have different measurements internally that will give you different chamber pressures. The walls of 5.56 brass is made thicker to handle higher pressure than .223 brass. You can observe this by putting the same amount of powder grains in each type of brass and the 5.56 will be noticeably more full. Both of those will affect your grouping and chamber pressures. I try to use lake city only unless I am loading plinking rounds.

I load two different types of .223 rounds. I will buy bulk bullets for throwaway rounds (plinking and punching holes in targets) and match ammo for bench rest shooting (I don't do it often due to my carbine length rifles and the high cost of match bullets.

I hope this helps, There are not any re loaders in this town that I know and I had to figure all of his out myself through trial and error. Hopefully this saves you a few steps and some money

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
re15 for heavier. 223? Like 69 grain? I only got varget but want another to try. I was just going off the sierra manual. I may be getting off path but ill be using the target stuff in my dpms bull 20 then maybe work up a 50 grain recipe for my acr mainly on small game. Setting up my dillon 550b tonight. Kind of tricky. Indexing plate giving me trouble. So my accuracy testing is delayed.
get to it! it's addicting, more than cost saving. post pics of ur setup.

There are two things that I have found in my "Quest" to perfect the .223 Remington round. I have heard some horrible reviews of Remington 55 grain bullets, like varying length and weight, a lot of people will not buy them or use them for strictly plinking. The second thing that I have found is that 5.56 marked brass and .223 marked brass have different measurements internally that will give you different chamber pressures. The walls of 5.56 brass is made thicker to handle higher pressure than .223 brass. You can observe this by putting the same amount of powder grains in each type of brass and the 5.56 will be noticeably more full. Both of those will affect your grouping and chamber pressures. I try to use lake city only unless I am loading plinking rounds.

I load two different types of .223 rounds. I will buy bulk bullets for throwaway rounds (plinking and punching holes in targets) and match ammo for bench rest shooting (I don't do it often due to my carbine length rifles and the high cost of match bullets.

I hope this helps, There are not any re loaders in this town that I know and I had to figure all of his out myself through trial and error. Hopefully this saves you a few steps and some money
i have read the same thing with 5.56 lake city brass. in regards to the remington bullet, i bought it as it was on sale, a couple hundred of them so i guess it's good to be practicing with ammo loading, yet also double edge sword as it doesn't give me proper results to tell me if im doing or loading to perfection with my specific gun.

·
Mod Squad
1,892 Posts
Gunnar I know what you mean by. thicker walls. I loaded some federal premium brass I had fired with 44the grains of varget topped with a 150grain sierra game king. Then I did the same with winchester brass and noticed the level was lower than that of the federal. I remeasured and figured the premium brass had thicker walls. I noticed its one of the more expensive brass anywayGigabit I have my bench posted but will take pics when I start doing the reload. I have some hand me down dies to start with. Not the most precise but ill get to practice consistent measuring. Ill avoid depriming my 5.56 because I accidently mixed winchester with m193 surplus and the stamp is the same. Not sure if only the 193 has crimped primers or the winchester stuff too. Don't want to find out the hard way. Im going to get a high end seating die next month since my ar is my target rifle. It is way fun. I think I have my dillon rl550b turret binding problem fixed.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Re15 for 75/77gr tips. I think the Mk262 powder is Ramshot IIRC, I'd have to check.

For 68/69gr tips I use H335 still. The round is slower but it is accurate enough to clean an X-ring at 300yds if you do your part.

·
Mod Squad
1,892 Posts
Thanks DSM....Im not sure if my 1/9 bull barrel will like the 77/80 grain pills. Its not recommend for 65 but 69 is ok. . I want to get into hi power league but im in reserves now and can't make all the shoots. Any load development I can do would only be at a bench. The reloading is alot of fun though. What are you shooting these through?

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
AR's and XCR's. I still have my old match barrel I'll build into a DMR shooter eventually I suppose but got out of highpower awhile back.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
ok... so i finally got my reloads to be almost to my preference...

load #1
Remington .223 brass, once fired
H335 24.7gr
Hornady V-Max 55gr
Winchester SR primer
OAL avg 2.250"

load #2
Lake City 5.56 brass, virgin brass
Varget 24.7gr
Hornady V-Max 55gr
Winchester SR primer
OAL avg 2.250"

i had much better results with the second load, but unfortunately there were too many variables that were changed (brass and powder). next time i need to load the same brass type and different powder, then same powder and different brass. I am wondering if the 5.56 vs .223 internal pressures are making a difference as well.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts