ACR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys... I'm seriously considering a purchase of an acr. But I want to address some things I've heard about the acr. Yeah I know about all the controversy, and I know that new weapons systems will always have flaws that will be fixed in later generation models. The new gas regulator would be one of these fixes. Specifically... I want to know if anyone has run across any flaws that are inherent in the acr that may not be fixable. What turned me onto this concern is something I read over at sigforum. (http://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/630601935/m/5370082252) Specifically this:

Supposedly posted on Travis Haley's facebook page:

Tyler Long: travis quick question and anyone can answer to if they please, Im taking a poll SCAR L or ACR

Travis Haley: SCAR is far more accurate and reliable. I could certainly do without the reciprocating CH but I can get over that considering I have been very happy with the performance of the SCAR in classes and testing. I have broke every ACR I have ever touched with simple weapons manipulation.

Ed Driver: Travis what broke on the ACR

Travis Haley: short answer: Cant put any pressure on the mag when firing, spring tension issues, true barrel issues, accuracy issues, over insertion of mags, eats Pmags, weird malfunctions, just a lot of no go criteria issues that unfortunately haven't been fixed yet.

Now pay attention here. I don't care about the SCAR. I've handled one, and I don't care for it. Nor do I care about accuracy issues or any doubts you may have as to whether Travis Haley is a reliable source of information. If I get a stock ACR it won't be stock for long, so issues with barrels and such do not concern me. That said, I shoot competition as well as do drills on a regular basis, and eating Pmags when pressure is applied (ie: using it like a monopod) is a pretty big deal to me.

So here's the question: Have any of you run across any weird, unusual, malfunctions that were/are a serious problem? Was it a one-time freak incident or does it happen with consistency? The ACR could be the next big thing, but its a serious cash investment so I want to make sure its worth my money. I look forward to any input you guys may have.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I have had zero issues with my ACR and have tried to recreate Travis' with no such luck. I don't see there being any serious problems with the ACR because its a pretty straight forward simple operating system. I think the ACR is a very comfortable and reliable system.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The short answer is no, my ACR has never had any of the issues Travis talked about even when I tried to induce those malfunctions.

What issues with barrels?

What type of competition do you shoot?

The only major issue I have had with my ACR is that it recently choked on a loose pack lot of Federal XM193BK, I am in the process of finding out what's going on at the moment.

Other than that, my ACR has been 100% reliable on a bunch of different .223 and 5.56 ranging from 55g to 77g out to 300 yds.

Everything else aside, the main draw of the ACR for me is it's layout / ergonomics.

I shoot 3Gun ( guessing you prob do also as the ACR isn't exactly a long range precision rifle ) and after a stage where you still have a round chambered and some in the mag, unload / show clear is much more comfortable to do with the ACR for example even vs an M4 with a Bad Lever as I have.

Immediate action / SPORTS is also easier due to the side CH and BCG manipulation from the trigger well IMHO.
If you like the layout go for it. If you want an ACR for all the modular promises of conversions etc, maybe hold off because it is all vaporware at this point and not many accesories are available compared to an AR.
Thanks, thats good to note.

As to issues with barrels, I only meant to say that if there are any (I wouldn't know) its not really a problem for me as I intend on swapping out the barrel anyways.

Competition wise- 3 gun, 2 gun, USPSA and the like, as far as rifles are concerned anyways.

I agree with you on the ergonomics, while I've only shot one a few times, not having to move your face out of the way of the handle to charge your rifle is a big plus. I'm not in it for all the modular promises. 7.62x39 and .300 blackout would be nice, but I'm not holding out for anything.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
I have just under 5000 thru my ACR. It is very accurate with decent ammo. Consistent 2.5 inch groups at 100 yards when I do my part. (using PMC Bronze 55fmj) My SCAR is accurate as well, but seems to like 1 ammo over another, where my ACR is consistant across different types of ammo. The magazine issue mentioned, never expierienced it, but I don't belly flop trying to bury the mag either.

Every gun I have ever bought has issues, question is are they fatal. I haven't found any yet in either the SCAR or ACR. I would buy both again and be pleased with each.

The ACR is a good rifle and I think you would be pleased with it once you started playing with it. Especially now that the price is more realistic then it was when 1st released.

·
Super Moderator
4,707 Posts
i wouldnt worry about it, maybe Travis is the kryptonite for the acr, i personally have had no issues with either one of my acr's, and i have 2k rounds through my sbr (almost completely suppressed)

as far as accuracy, 1 moa @ 100 is possible if you do your part, i was getting right over 1.25 moa with pmc 55gr and an acog plus trigger

the only problem i've rarely seen with SOME acr's is the gas piston system binds up some on the piston support and needs realigned, the fix literally takes 1 minute. other than that nothing i know of.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I've had no issues with the weapon that weren't easily explained as either user error or otherwise easily fixed.
As far as the magazine pressure (monopod) issue, forget about it. I use it that way any time that I shoot prone. I've never had a malfunction with it.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Travis was using the Remington version, perhaps w/ the alloy lower? Seems like the magwell on the alloy lower may be more shallow(because of the flared magwell) and allow for over insertion. I have mono- podded with the mag with my ACR and have not had any issues. I plan to do a video testing this issue, when it cools down a bit.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I couldn't be happier with my ACR. Well, if it was lighter! But no malfunctions what-so-ever. Uses any magazine I have. I've removed the barrel and re-installed it to see how accurate it was. It was off by about 3 MOA at 100 yds....

·
Registered
279 Posts
The current rifle are really solid, I got mine last Dec and have shot all the loads from 55/62/75 and 556 ball ammo, a 1,00 rounds in and no issues ... and I was expecting some and I have been pleasantly surprised and happy, if you like to shot and not been really annal about cleaning, then get it!

·
Registered
54 Posts
I am a new owner (got my ACR enhanced in June). My rifle is an SRR series and I have had zero problems using Winchester and South African 55 gr. 5.56 ball and P-Mags. I am very happy with the rifle, the only thing I didn't care for were the Magpul MBUIS, which I replaced with Troy Battlesights before I even fired the weapon. I had also tried a Magpul Angled Fore Grip but have finally settled on a Magpul vertical foregrip as it feels a little more natural to me.

·
Premium Member
505 Posts
Questions

You are asking some of the right questions. I know which rifles Travis handled and what his issues were with the ACR's he handled. I know this because I was working at Magpul at the time.(I don't work for them because I got the coolest job in the world other than hunting terrorists, firefighter) What you should be asking is why what was said got said and is it reflective of the ACR or other contributing factors.

The ACR's handled by Travis were some of the first ACR's off the production line and were not Remington defense ACRs made of unobtanium.

Travis did have problems with monopoding. Which was addressed through a continuous improvement process by Bushmaster. This continuous improvement also seems to have alleviated the supposed problem with eating Pmags at the same time. I have never seen an eaten pmag from an ACR.

Travis may have had some problems with weird malfunctions but they were very isolated and I am having trouble remembering them, which means to me they were relatively insignificant and either dealt with or dismissed as anomalies.

Also, when that conversation between Travis and some person hit the internet he was no longer with Magpul, Magpul Dynamics or any other entity that had anything to do with Magpul Industries Corp. According to the press releases everything is cool between Travis and Magpul and you are not going to hear me say otherwise but you have to read between the lines once in awhile.

My two ACRs have had issues that I have introduced to them by customizing them. Other than that, they have run well. I expect later models to run even better as this platform ages in it's continuous improvement process.

Only time will tell if the ACR becomes the next big thing. The bookies in Vegas will tell you the odds don't favor it. I believe the end users will decide if this platform fully realizes it's potential.

This is all my opinion and it is worth what you paid for it.

Mike

·
Registered
73 Posts
I read all of this as well. I gotta say I only have about 500 rds thru my enhanced. But I have had ZERO issues. And I don't baby it. I'm not sure what all the barrel accuracy issues are. I do note, if you don't pay attention you can leave the barrel nut loose when reinstalling, this could lead to the accuracy thing, but that I consider user error.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I just put around 125 more rounds through my ACR and I had one double feed under heavy rapid fire. Other than that it was great again.

·
Mod Squad
1,892 Posts
I put 100 trough mine or so to get it heated up. The gas key was a little stuck. My barrel wrench doesn't have the audible click it used to but it still holds tight. I havnt shot much through it but when I do I try for at least 60 rounds. Using mainly winchester 5.56 and no malfunctions.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Well here's another pro ACR comment. I decided to give this a bit of a test to see how well it ran against my Piston AR. First test was 240 round mag dumps. Had a buddy running the PWS with me running the ACR. These weren't accuracy tests, these were pure function test. Both weapons held up and with zero issues, we dumped all 240 rounds in under 2 minutes. After that, we gave the barrels about 10 min of cool down and went to contact drills. That ran another 90 rounds in another 3 minutes, but with intentional aiming. Both gave fist sized groups at 50m. Next we went for longer range slow fire to see if there was a serious affect on POI vs. POA at 100m. Here we only ran 30 rounds. Turned back around 10 minutes later (had to reload mags, god bless the LULA!!!!!!) we mag dumped again another 180 rounds. Now here's where the PWS started showing so heat related issues, because we immediately went to standing 60rnds, then prone 60 rnd strings at the 100m target.. the PWS started drifting POI and the heavier barreled ACR still gave a decent showing of another fist sized group.

Now when shooting the 100m and 50m targets I'd change between standing and drop to prone. While I don't usually lean heavy on any mag, I'd say that the mono-podding of the mag for both weapons occurred.. I don't recall how many mags I may have done the mono-podding on, but it was enough. Now, I'm a PMAG whore and have way too many to keep track of these days. Point here being, I've still got all of those mags in the operational rotation, the weapon performed as expected and actually may have out performed my uber AR15 in holding groups (minute of man and fist sized groupings) at 100m and 50m without issue.

Cleaning afterwards sucked for both guns. Actually had to heat up the gas block of the PWS to removed the little operations block. Ah well, I attribute that to cheap ass Wolf and Ten-X ammo. I ran mixed brass and steel case on purpose. Mostly to ensure the ACR would behave with cheap steel case Wolf, but also to ensure the PWS was keeping pace.

All said and told, we shot a metric ton of ammo, ripped the hell out of several targets (and their wood stands) and both the ACR and PWS performed admirably. Being that once upon a time I dragged a M16 with a 203 through the mud and shot at bad guys, I'd take the ACR to the fight any day of the week. Matter of fact, its the rifle next to the night stand.. yeah to hell with a pistol, I'm going to bring death down any idiot coming into my house unwelcomed, and the ACR will be my delivery method!!!

·
Mod Squad
1,892 Posts
Nice test. And yeah my acr is next to the bed. An intruder would half expect a pistol to be drawn at them but an acr with a Strobe, laser, and other things hanging off of it would show intent. I don't have anywhere to shoot like that around here. Prettymuch bench rest is my only option. Rapid fire would get bad attention at my range. Good to know what its capable of.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Badshot,

Thanks for posting the results of the test you preformed. I can report the same findings as you. Just never kept track of the shooting strings like you did. I can report that I plowed thru 400+ rounds in 1 hour and the only malfuctions was my bare hand on the handguard. The rascal got HOT. ;)

The ACR seems to be holding up to hard use fairly well.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
...I plowed thru 400+ rounds in 1 hour and the only malfuctions was my bare hand on the handguard. The rascal got HOT.
That ain't no joke! We did a 500rd case of that Hornady steel cased in about that time frame and it was stupid hot. It reaffirmed why I keep some gloves in my range bag.

·
Super Moderator
4,707 Posts
next month i'm taking my acr through hell and back, i'm planning on 500-1000 rounds in a mini magpul based class, ill let you know if it jams up at all or not

btw i'm taking some m193 too

1 - 20 of 21 Posts