ACR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the forum. Excellent forum by the way. Lots of info on what seems to be the best rifle in along time. Heres my questions, I hope someone can help. I am moving to Florida in the near future. My dream gun would be the black ACR with a 14.5 or 10.5 barrel. What would I have to do. Buy the regular length the apply to the ATF for SBR Status? Or apply first? Or order through a dealer? Im confused on the timeline. Is getting SBR status even likely?

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Buy the rifle then submit the paperwork, either as an individual or under a trust. Get paperwork back and install short barrel. Enjoy. That's pretty much the steps, simplified of course, but even the long version adds only a couple more!
I'd wait to do the SBR paperwork when you get to FL though because the wait on ATF can be anywhere from a couple to several, several months. If you move in the middle of it it will dump a whole bunch of wait longer to the mix. The beauty of the process is that you can shoot and enjoy your rifle the entire time.

Now, if you want, you can send your barrel to some place like Adco and they can chop the barrel back to 14.5" and permanently attach a flash hider that would bring it up to the legal 16" length (Phantom, Vortex, etc) and that would require NO paperwork. Why would this be a good thing? Well, you get a slightly shorter and lighter rifle (even lighter if you get the barrel contoured to a LW profile at the same time) without the possible hassles of the SBR. Remember, once you register it as an SBR you need the ATF's permission to leave the state where you registered it, and, you may move somewhere that doesn't allow SBR's. Then you either sell it or de-register it which means your $200 stamp investment is all but wasted.

I'm not trying to discourage you from an SBR but I do want you to fully realize what it means. If I had the capability I'd SBR darn near every rifle. It makes the rifle easier to handle and usually accuracy isn't affected at the typical carbine distance.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Where can I get a 10.5 inch barrel?

I know a class 3 dealer local. Could a 16 be cut down and have paperwork filed on it?

Would a 1:7 be better for a shorter barrel?

Do they have a 1:7 available yet?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the swift answer DSM. I didnt know that trick about attaching a suppressor on a 14.5 barrel, i guess if its 16 when you are done then it's legal. I'm right there with you as far as short carbines. Anytime I pick up something thats got a 16 inch barrel or above on it it feels wrong. Will the ATF allow SBR for a 10.5 or is that too short? Once you have the stamp can you then order a short barrel from remington for the acr or does the barrel have to be on the rifle when it is stamped? Because I heard the actual rifle needs to be stamped with your info is that true? And what is the criteria for approving an SBR? I only ask all these questions because nobody picked up the phone at the ATF, I don't know why I thought someone would. And yeah you're right, I'm not purchasing the ACR until I'm in FL because I live in Los Angeles and if Remington would even ship to California I'm sure the gun would have a bullet button, 10 round mags, no pistol grip, and the stock would never come off. This state is a joke.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
meee- The NFA world has some tricky things about it but for the most part it is fairly straight forward.

- As far as 10.5" barrels, no the ATF doesn't care how short it is, just as long as it is properly registered. Some local laws may exist that say otherwise but I've never heard of any though it's always best to research and find out.

- The current ACR barrels (mid length gas system) can go down to about 12" and still function, w/ gas port work. The 10.5" barrels use a "carbine length gas system" which is shorter. We'll have to wait for those barrels to come out that have the necessary parts modified for such a short barrel.

- Yes, if YOU make the SBR then it has to be stamped/engraved with your info; name, city and state because now you are the actual maker of the rifle. You can mark the the receiver, or, every barrel that meets the NFA rule which is <16". Alternatively, you can order factory direct an SBR through your local Class3 guy and it will have only the factory markings on it. It's unclear if BM will do this or not so time will tell. I'm under the impression they sell SBR'd AR's so why they wouldn't do that with the ACR as well is beyond me.

- The criteria for approving an SBR is a clean bill of health, so to speak, in terms of the basic background check they conduct. Not a convicted felon, not on a watch list, etc, etc. If done as an individual the FBI runs your prints too.

- There are ACR's for ban states and they are modified with specific features but everything is reversible yet so if you bought one in CA you could have a ceremony of dumping the stupid parts on the state line when you move I 'spose. In a proper waste receptacle of course. No littering! ;D

[quote author=Mr_Gixxer link=topic=164.msg862#msg862 date=1284861571]
Where can I get a 10.5 inch barrel?

I know a class 3 dealer local. Could a 16 be cut down and have paperwork filed on it?

Would a 1:7 be better for a shorter barrel?

Do they have a 1:7 available yet?
[/quote]

I won't get into the debate of barrel twists. I say get what you want and be happy with it. Just a couple things to think about however 1) That tin can, box, IPSC target or whatever you are shooting at doesn't know what twist you're using, and 2) neither does the bullet. ;)

Take a look at what you shoot or plan to shoot and base your decision off of that. If you plan on only shooting Mk262 or 75gr TAP rounds then maybe a 1:7 would be best. If you don't then maybe the 1:9 would work. (Oh, several folks have been posting very good accuracy with the 77's and a 1:9 ACR. Just FYI...) I've got a few SBR barrels for my XCR and to be honest I couldn't tell you which one is 1:7, 1:9 or 1:8 unless I really took a look at them. They all shoot fine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts