ACR Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so thanks to magpul releasing the aotpr dvd i am looking to get a precision rifle now, my budget is gonna be around 3k ish if i sell my g36k clone, and my choices are both .308's

for the obr i am willing to wait for the optics for a little bit, the remington will be completely finished at one time minus the suppressor

larue obr 18 or 20 inch

remington 700 with 5r barrel and aics stock (2.0)

which would you chose and what in general would you want for long range?

btw heres the release trailer... nom nom

err.... why doesnt embedding work evar!?

http://youtu.be/WKP5hg-B1N8

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I have always heard that bolt actions cannot be matched by semi-autos for accuracy. I am not trained in LR rifle, but I have owned a 700. I had the SPD variant. It was a smooth rifle, but not as good as the custom shop ones that I have fondled.

That being said, if I were to get another one, I'd pick a semi-auto. The OBR would be a great choice from what I've heard. The barrel length would also depend on what your plans are for your rifle. If it's just engaging paper at long ranges, I'd go with the 20" semi-auto or the 700. The 18" (or 16" if they have it) would be better for portability. Some sacrifice of muzzle velocity, but it brings it into the realm of a SCAR-H, which seems to be a good example of the amount of portability and controllability that can be obtained on a .308 (FWIH).

·
Registered
610 Posts
Looking into a .308 LR rifle currently myself. Already have an M24 Remi but am looking for a semi. My criteria is 16" since there is not much change in velocity vs a 20", semi auto, 7.62 PMag capable(sorry SCAR H), it must eat ALL 7.62 and .308 ammo, the ability to suppress later for when I move and not piston type AR since with all the research I have done there are a lot of issues. I would love a Massoud but you know how that goes. I am also leaning towards the DPMS pattern over the AR10 since there seems to be a ton of support for it. Possibly building a MA-Ten, too much to think lol drives me nuts sometimes. I am a fan of LWRC but not the REPR. The POF P308 sparked interest in me but the more research I did on it made me veer away further from it.

·
Super Moderator
4,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
no its getting released around october, which wont be good since im gonna buy mw3 and bf3 then too lol... the obr would be sweet to have especially since the mags are less than 60$ a piece,

·
Mod Squad
4,526 Posts
LaRue fo sho. According to their site, they have the 16" and 18". I'm hearing wicked things about accuracy even at 1km with it.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Bolt rifles are easy to deal with and are more than accurate. Suppressed they are the bee's knees too. Reloading for them is way easier and let's face it, if you want to shoot enough to get really good then you'll be shooting A LOT. Rolling your own is the way to do it. Of course the drawback is rate of fire but then that depends on what exactly you want to do with it in the end. A simple, yet sturdy, 18" build could be strapped to your ruck w/o much fuss and doesn't excessively drain mobility.

My AR10 SASS is quite accurate and holds better than MOA if I do my part. But, it's also as heavy as the M24 I used to hump around (not too bad since I shortened and fluted the barrel though). The gas system can sometimes do wonky things to velocities making shots string a little.

My $.02, if you want precision go with a bolt, but if you want the rifle to be more of a DM rig (say 0-600m) then go semi.

·
Premium Member
3,048 Posts
Lwrc repr

Sent from my DROID PRO using Tapatalk

·
Mod Squad
1,892 Posts
If I were spending your money id choose the Remington 700 sps tactical. They seem to have a huge aftermarket. Can be made more accurate than they already are. I've got a ruger m77 mark 2 that'll be my accurate gun. Im having barrel work done. Ill pillar or glass bed the stock. also building a .308 ar. Maybe a shorter barrel. Or get an m1a ha too many choices.

·
Super Moderator
4,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i like the remington 700, its more accurate than most shooters, so i'll never be better than it lol, i was checking out the 5r rifle

1 - 19 of 19 Posts