ACR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 272 Posts

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As we know manufacture support for the ACR accessories is rather weak. However Magpul still has the rights for the Masada and produces a licensed Airsoft gun based of it, and it's various configurations.

The PTS parts are high quality Dupont Polymer, and just released in Hong Kong...

Granted their is no Heat shield, and I have no idea that even with a heat shield installed if it will hold up like an OEM piece. However for 40.00 shipped I figured it was worth a shot; and the possibly of having the ability to support the rifle further out was worth the price. It fits tighter and feels similar to the OEM piece. I am going to look into ordering another heatshield, or I may just drill the rivet out of my Carbine length one and steal it to see if it holds up.

I just figured I would let you guys know who are looking for more options, that this could pan out...

I got the Hand Guard off Ebay, as their is no other place domestically that had them as far as I could tell. Also recently released is the PRS style stock, however that may be more of a gamble.

·
Premium Member
2,889 Posts
Yea. I'm interested in finding out how long it takes to melt. But more importantly I'm more interested in the prs stock.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I could see bending up some real thin stainless sheet to put in there, plastic weld it into place for the heat for your hands. Not so sure about how to prevent the melting at mount point....

Thanks for the pics

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Somebody get with the airsoft people and have them mold in high temp plastic. I'm sure they'll be more than willing to take people's money. lol!

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Hopefully Sunday I will get to put some rounds through it and see what happens, it will be interesting to see has the area around the mounting points, and above the gas regulator have no heat shield in the OEM piece either.

Maybe I can start a new youtube show "Will it Melt"

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
DSM, the only issue I see with have them made in heat resistant polymer is that Magpul owns Magpul PTS, and I can see Remington/Bushmaster possibly making an issue of it if they where being circumvented by Magpul with regards to the ACR. From what I have read Magpul controls their products image and quality in Airsoft as tightly as they do for real firearms.

Well I decided to pull the heat shield of my OEM piece and see if I can get this thing to melt tomorrow. I took some additional pictures so you can see how different internally the handguard is. It's essentially missing the tabs for the heat shield and the MOE accessory slots. The OEM heat guard lines up with the slots on the under portion of the handguard, however not with the side portions. So you will see the black side of the heat shield.

With regards to mounting the heat shield, besides just running a screw or rivet through the mounting hole some High temp Silicone Adhesive may also work quite well in mounting the heat shield; as ghetto as it might appear. However it just has to hold, and it has worked very well in the past for Chimney ducting.

The handguard mounting tabs run all the way forward on the Rifle length which intern forces the heat shield in a little close to the barrel assembly.

The difference in the Masada and the ACR may be of benefit here, as this gap will help the heat escape.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MAGPUL-PTS-PRS-2-Stock-for-Airsoft-Masada-AEG-Black-/390437405429?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5ae7e202f5#ht_1130wt_1163

T
his is PRS stock and the seller that I bought the Handguard from, it was here from Hong Kong in just over a week. I have some buddies who have been trying to get me to move from paintball to airsoft so I may have access to a PTS Masada stock and see if it fits on my ACR.

·
Premium Member
2,889 Posts
Alright... Someone try the airsoft prs stock or I will. I think I can make it work.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

·
Premium Member
2,889 Posts
Ok. I have been looking at pictures of the airsoft prs stock compared to the regular acr stock, and the differences are that the pin hole on the top is not a metal tube. which is also where the bolt carrier guide rides. or whatever you want to call it. Also it does not have the piece that absorbs the bolt carriers impact. thats the two biggest differences I can see. That said. It would not work without modification. And I'm not sure you can really modify it in a way that would hold up. I am running ideas around in my head, and I have a stock that I would be willing to sacrifice to make it happen. But I'm not sure it can happen. If anyone has any thoughts, let me know.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I will post pictures and more details later, however after one combat load the Handguard it still in one piece. I also got a PTS fixed stock, so I will be able to see what the differences in physical size are.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Why not try to get ahold of some of that fireproof/heatproof indestructable paste that inventor dude from discovery channel made.... Come on i know you all know who I'm talking about the guy who also made the indestructable bear suit. :cool:

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Actually, some ceramic based exhaust paint might help the handguard out more its generally good to 1200 degrees.

Ok as said before, I did one combat load or 210 rounds, in about 2 minutes. I did the first two magazines firing a shot about every second, I then remembered what I was doing, and that I brought gloves for a reason. I paused to put on my gloves then continued firing. Through the next two magazines at a rate of two rounds a second I got a little smoke from under the receiver, it didn't really smell like polymer or plastic, however I paused looked over the handgaurd quick to see if it had melted in any spots. Their was nothing that I could see from the outside so I continued shooting. The next two magazines where double taps as fast as I could pull the trigger (it has a Super Three Gun in it so it can rock pretty good), the smoke continued a little but began to taper off in the beginning of the second magazine. When I went get the last magazine, I noticed the heat shield was loose and the forward of the original position by about 2 inches. I roughly reseated the heat shield and fired the last magazine as fast as could.

After shooting the 210 rounds, I took of the handguard to inspect for damage it touched the barrel briefly and melted a small portion instantly.

You can see the burnt edge, and the gas residue throughout the handguard, it was quite hot. Not noticeable with the gloves, but to warm for bare hands.

I am not sure when the heatshield came loose, however it was in the forward position exposing the handguard to direct vented gas.

Even after a at least 15 minutes if not more the barrel and gas block where hot, you can see the residue from my gloves on the barrel. The handguard at this point was cool and touchable with bare hands.

All in all this just might work. I figure that with the heatshield permanently mounted and the ceramic paint may make this a viable option... which be nice because it make the rifle look much more balanced with a 16" barrel. It will prob make a 14.5 pencil weight look real good to.

Now for the stock, as ACR500 said their is a very noticeable difference with the bolt could make contact with the stock. The airsoft version is missing this due to the gearbox occupying that space. In general the Masada stock is slightly larger that the ACR, I would guess this is due to the other material being removed for the gear box. So these areas would have to be sanded down some, though it will fit, and the Masada stock fits into the ACR upper as is. The top mounting point for the Masada stock as ACR500 said is missing the metal sleeve, and alot of material. I suppose this could drilled out sleeved and the surrounding area built up with PC7 or similar epoxy...

So I think it could be made to work, and it could broaden the horizons for some of the rifles here into precision territory. I know I would like to build a Grendel setup to reach out farther as I sold my 18" Piston Mega AR upper to fund my ACR.

And lastly I know everyone wants the Remington Roll mark but I would also settle for this.

This could be fun as well. Though I have never had a meaningful use for select fire in any issued weapon...

·
Premium Member
2,889 Posts
The round piece comes out of the stock. I dont know how but it is not made into the stock, it is clipped in. You can push the tab in with a small screwdriver and it should pull out in theory, I tried it, and it did not come out easy and I didnt want to mess up the stock, so I gave up. But it looks like it would take some heavy modification but it is probably doable.

As far as the handguard, those results are awesome. This is good news. I found the new handguard for my future grendel kit. It would look good with an 18 inch barrel.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
I don't know why this didn't come to mind... I have a tons of exhaust wrap and similar starter heat shield sitting around from my Turbo Mustang...

Bigdog I can't really speak for its true operational strength as I have yet to take a fall with my ACR or now the Masada. This being said the Masada fixed stock seems extremely solid, the gun itself is extremely solid. It makes me want to get a fixed stock for my ACR.

It is however two pieces, This could be a blessing in disguise as the stock could flex versus break in a tough spot...

I took it apart and you can see the polymer is thick and the shape of the stock alone gives it alot of strength. Besides modifying the upper portion for use in the ACR my only real concern with the PRS Stock at this point, if it's anything like the fixed stock in terms of apparent strength; would be falling with or dropping the rifle on the end the the stock with the adjustable butt plate fully extended. I suppose for additional piece of mind one could glue or epoxy the stock together. However given the nature of the PRS, it coming apart may be a good thing for serviceability.

I don't really have a use for the PRS stock yet, as I want to SBR my ACR before building a Grendel or .264 barrel assembly, however I am almost tempted to just buy it in the name of science...

1 - 20 of 272 Posts