ACR Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
...i agree that's crazy...i got a buddy in va who was approached by 2 police officers at the scene of a fender-bender where he had been rear ended...one officer was training a new guy...my buddy, as a courtesy (in va to my knowledge its not required to inform you have a ccw on your person) informed the officer he had a ccw and was armed...the officer then told him to take his weapon out and hand it to him so he could "make sure it was safe."
...now this was in front of his kids and wife in the middle of the city...the officer unloaded the weapon and placed it on the hood... after the documentation of the incident was over he told my buddy to put the weapon in the glovebox "so his children wouldn't be scared." the officers then gave his kids junior officer stickers... ???

-first off: they where in a city...not a lot of places to point a weapon safety...

-second: if the officer was alone and wanted to make it sporting he would be (from his point of view) in a perfect "legal" position to neutralize the armed threat my buddy posed him by complying and pulling his weapon...even bystanders would be able to confirm that he pulled a weapon on a police officer...

-thirdly: the officer no matter how much training he has had doesn't know how to make EVERY weapon safe...nor does he know what condition the weapon is in...duck-tape, superglue, coat-hanger,etc...
what if the weapon was negligently discharged?...

...the stupidities are endless...i still don't know if this is a sop in va or if it's totally illegal...

·
Registered
258 Posts
police are public servants and are doing a dangerous job - the police cheif might not have the right but it makes sense that if you are in close proximity to a law enfrcement officer while in violation of the law especially that you politely inform them to head off a potential incident. because they are wound tight and on roids sometimes and you don't want to be dead and justified over it.

·
Premium Member
505 Posts
The police chief may be able to put reasonable limitations on the permit he is issuing. I think the scenario presented doesn't sound very fair, or professional, to the individual carrying but I have to agree with wiki. I would let the officer know because I know his job is tough enough already. And I have found that the more you work with him the easier things are going to go no matter if you are at fault for something completely unrelated to carrying or not.

That said, I do have a recorder going when I think there is going to be a situation with law enforcement. That way if I don't like the way it went I can go see his boss about it and have more than he said/she said. These guys are public servants and customer service should be one of their top priorities. I usually ask for the officer's information after the ticket has been issued or whatever to make things go more smoothly during the situation.

Just my opinion, it's worth what you paid for it.

·
Super Moderator
4,707 Posts
In Ohio I'm pretty sure its at least misdemeanor to not inform an officer about your concealed weapon when dealing with them. My friend lost his CCW for 6 months because he forgot he had his pistol with him when he got pulled over. He informed the police officer the 2nd time he came up to the vehicle but not the 1st time (since he didnt remember)

·
Forum Vassal
709 Posts
I've been pulled over when carrying. Telling the cop always gets me out of a ticket even at reckless speeds in residential areas...

And last I checked, police chiefs dont make laws, so you are within your legal rights to tell them to pound sand.

·
Mod Squad
4,526 Posts
In Texas, if in a situation where a cop has the right to ask for your ID (i.e. speeding) you MUST show him your CHL, IF YOU ARE CARRYING. If not, you do not have to.

That being said even if you're not carrying, save yourself the heartache of the cop asking why you didn't show him your CHL and just present it to him regardless.

Unfortunately we've gotten to a point that I don't trust too many cops. However, being a dick to them doesn't help anyone.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I guess I should be happy I'm in Georgia. Here, only the legislature can make laws, not the police chief, sheriff or judge. There is no obligation to advise LEO of your being armed and I never do. The fewer people knowing I carry the better I like it.

The one time I did hand over my CCW permit with my drivers license (about 20 years ago) during a traffic stop the state trooper asked me why I gave it to him. I told him so he would know I was carrying. His reply was, "Are you gonna shoot me?" I said "No". He said, "Then I don't want to know". That was the last time I ever let anyone know I was carrying. If someone finds out now it will be as the smoke and muzzle flash have already happened and I'm checking for other threats around me.

·
Premium Member
505 Posts
Interesting spin on this. I just started community college for some paramedic classes. We had to go through a mandatory 45 minutes of Title Nine training. (look up title nine if you want to know more but it is not just about sports stuff anymore) In the training they specifically mentioned that you could not have 'dangerous weapons' on campus. When I asked the Head of Security about a CCW permit and carrying and the dangerous weapon rule he said that campus security may ask someone for their permit if they were reported by another student as having a gun. His response was if they have a CCW permit and are carrying concealed they would send the carrier on their way with a handshake. Pretty interesting paradox but I live in Colorado and the shooting is still fresh in everyone's mind.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Here when I run your drivers license your gun permit information will come back with the return. I rarely ask if a permitee is carrying unless there are some other factors that concern me.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I was pulled over a few weeks ago in Houston on my way back from work at a hospital. I gave the constable my license and when he came back he asked if I had a CHL. I said yes but that I didn't have a firearm with me. He told me that it didn't matter, I had to present the CHL to any officer that asks for my drivers license. That other officers would have ticketed me but he being a nice guy won't this time but, he is going to give me a speeding ticket. I said that the law was changed a few years back and that unarmed CHL holders were no longer required to present their CHL on traffic stops. He told me that I needed to go look up the law as I was wrong. I didn't argue with him. Well, when I got home I looked it up and he was wrong from everything that I read. It's unfortunate that the law isn't understood by some of those enforcing it.

·
Mod Squad
4,526 Posts
EXACTLY! Maybe carrying the booklet included in the CHL pamphlet in your glove box, with a dog ear to the appropriate page would help.

Had he not given you the speeding ticket, I would have just thanked him and been on my merry way. Because he did though, I would've then pointed out his mistake and shown him if possible.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I'm not exactly sure what a constable does in Texas, but we do have them here in Indiana. They are court baliff's for the most part however there are some who go out and want to play the police. By some old esoteric state statute they have police powers however there are no mandated in-service training requirments enforced for them nor are they even able to be sent to the academy to be able to become state certified police officers. There are a fair amount of them who belong to the squirrel squad, and their lack of well... everything gives us professional police officers a bad name.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Username, There is no requirement sate wise or in any dept. I know of that would require you to list all and any guns a police oficer may possess, nor would I if they tried to make us. The exception being if I want to carry said gun on duty, I must qualify with it and list the serial number stating that I have passed as a proficent shooter with desert eagle .50AE 5903375 or whatever. I also have to qualify with my ISSUED back up weapon if I want to keep it.

When I say "state" police certification I mean that any full time paid police officers whom receive pay from a governement entity must attend the Indiana law enforcement academy, other states call this P.O.S.T. or Police officer standard and training certification. This inculdes campus police officers, and school resource police officers. Here in my state as well as others it's not required or possible to for reserve law enforcement officers or special deputies to go to the academy, of which the constables fall into that catagory. So the end result is we have a certain group of people with the power to take away peoples freedom rolling around telling people things like the above poster encountered about his firearms permit they have never been trained on and only heard of, from other people and have no idea if said law or stipulation is even current.

As far as your statement goes that my job is not hard I would repectfully disagree. I've been a beat cop for 18 years. It is quite diferent then being a school police officer or constable. In fact its the only job I know of outside of being a soldier that alters who you are so completely. The only difference being war changes you in a split second. Being a street cop changes you slowly over time, and you don't even realize it till you wake up one day and it hits you.... you have PTSD you snap at people you love for no reason and you have to find the you who started doing the job because you truely wanted to make society better.

I hate telling cop stories because it sounds like braging, but I know few other professions I could have went into where I would have been struck by a car jacker in a mini-van, shot at, sued for actions I've taken in the course of my work, malicously had certified unfounded complaints filed against me in retaliation for doing my job that stay in my file, and have to deal with bosses who have lost touch with what its like to be in the trenches everyday draggiing dead babies out of pools and seeing good folks killed in tradigic ways.

·
Mod Squad
1,892 Posts
Username I am noticing a trend that your posts seem to be a bit more than we care to have on this forum. You do have the freedom to voice opinion and share experience and things you find but I do not want things getting out of hand. We've been pretty good about extinguishing flame wars here and I don't want any on our forum. I don't want to come off on picking on you but I would like you to clarify your posts that may cause a reaction. If you disagree ill allow the other moderators decide the action. We've got a level of maturity on this forum I havnt seen on other forums and am confident our members can respond in an adult manner. But please be more careful.

If im wrong in this and my fellow moderators and others disagree with me ill be man enough to say I've made a mistake. I just would expect more contribution other than things not relative to the forum itself.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.