ACR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dudes...I need some help. I am buying my dream gun in just over one week and up until recently it was a Bushmaster ACR Enhanced. My brother told be about POF and kind of peeked my interest. I know that I am a first post noob, but I am not a noob with firearms. Anyone heard anything about POF or have an ACR and a POF for comparison? If anyone is wondering about why I would ask this question on this forum....I am a member for one but only in lurker status. I respect this forum above all others in it's open mindedness and non myopic threads ( I kind of want someone to talk me into the ACR again!) I know it is pathetic, but any input or perspective would be welcome and appreciated.

·
Registered
303 Posts
First let me say I don't own an AR. I have heard both good and bad about POF. I didn't want a weapon that was designed 60 years ago. I know POF is a modern version of a 60 yr old design. thats why I own an enhanced ACR. the choice is yours.
good luck...

·
Mod Squad
4,526 Posts
What do you want it for? Plinking? Training? SHTF weapon? Duty?

I don't own a (complete) ACR yet, but have owned and professionally used M4's for awhile. Though I am a fan of the M4 (even the DI gas system) and it has proven itself through time, I would go with the ACR. You can always go with an M4 type weapon later down the road. If you got a chunk of change to spend, go with an ACR.

True the M4/AR series has a metric butt ton of accessories currently, our buddy Ryan at APWR is working to remedy that.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
I have no personal experience with the POF line of rifles. Heard both good and bad on the different forums, but as we all know, ya gotta take some of those with a grain of salt.

The prices of ACR's have come down conciderably compared to what they were when 1st released. I have had mine for a year and shot a bunch of rounds thru it. Is it perfect, no. Some issues have popped up here and there, but seem to be isolated to copies as opposed to a flawed design (so far) I really enjoy shooting it and the potential it brings to the table. At it's current price, (seen new basics for 1700 - 1800) I would buy one again.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I have a basic ACR. I love it. I have handled (but not shot) several POFs off the shelf. They seem like a nice rifle. They come with a lot of nice extras (trigger, stock, handguard, etc.). They don't come with irons. If I were to get one, I'd get one for a .308 with a chopped and pinned barrel, which they're nice enough to offer from the factory.

Basically, they seem to have put together an AR "dream package" with a lot of things that they figure their customers would eventually add on.

My mantra is, "What works for you?" It goes back to it's intended use and your background. If you think you would have a difficult time adjusting to the ACR control scheme, then go for a POF. But if it's something you are willing to work with, the ACR will serve you well.

I personally have been very happy switching exclusively to the ACR. It just fits me. It feels more natural.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
maybe you have also looked at the larue obr? I'd go with that before POF.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
Yeah, I haven't held one or seen one in person, but they sure look nice.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Honest answer from an ACR owner on an ACR forum:

If I were going to spend ~ $2000 on a 5.56 platform and it was going to be the only rifle I would own, I would buy a Larue.

I love the ACR design but the customer support just isn't there from Bushmaster.
That's certainly a valid point. I must look more into what LaRue has to offer.

·
Mod Squad
4,526 Posts
I was talking to a CAG guy about them as he was wearing a LaRue hat on a trip we made. We got to talking about LaRue and he spoke about the free kit they get from him. He then had nothing but praise for the OSR and it's accuracy wishing they were issue.

I'd take an OSR (.308) over (any) POF, and the ACR over the POF. Don't ask me to choose between the OSR and the ACR.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Not to muddy the waters even further, but you can't mention POF and Larue without including LWRC. I (as well as many others) would consider them the top of the heap when it comes to ARs. You will pay, but you get a lot of upgrades included as standard and their customer service is second to none. I have a 16" M6A2 and will have a 10.5" M6A2 SBR when my stamp comes back. I love my ACR as well, but if you are sold on an AR, consider LWRC in your mix.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Absolutely. My shooting partner has an LWRC, the one in one of my videos actually. My praise for Larue extends past the product and more into how mark does business and what he gives back.
Agreed. I have yet to own anything Larue, but I have also heard great things about them often. I have gotten exceptional CS from LWRC, so I will always be a big fan of theirs as well. Excellent weapons manufacturers seem to be one of the few industries we still have in the US.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Being an AR and ACR owner.....

Larue PredatAr, absolute best quality components at the same price point. Like Highdrag said whats killing me about the ACR right now is bushmaster its self with their lack of customer support and lack of R&D for new ACR products.

·
Registered
610 Posts
To the OP if you want to spend money.
If I were looking at a piston driven AR it would be LWRC hands down over any other.
If I were looking at a DI driven AR it would be Larue hands down over any other.
While these are nice they are not too far from my $600+/- AR build.
If I had the money to buy what I want and didn't have a rifle yet it would be the ACR hands down.

The ACR is so awesome. I have tons of different rifles and I would choose the ACR if I could only keep one.

What I think you should do is go with the ACR now.

·
Super Moderator
4,707 Posts
The ACR is so awesome. I have tons of different rifles and I would choose the ACR if I could only keep one.

What I think you should do is go with the ACR now.
i agree 100%, i have a brand new ar15 sitting in my safe and dont have any plans on shooting it for a while lol

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Definitely ACR for the ergonomics improvements. AR charging handle position works, but it's atrocious.

Otherwise SCAR.

·
Mod Squad
4,526 Posts
Has anyone had to order any parts for the SCAR? I'm just wondering if the parts availability for the civ market is as atrocious as it for the Military.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
I tried to order some small parts 6 months ago. Firing pin, hammer / trigger spring, blah blah blah. Everything I was trying to get was on back order. Was told minimum 6-8 weeks, try again then. Tried to just back order them and they would not except it.

Owell,,,,,,,,,,,,,

1 - 20 of 34 Posts