ACR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick question - do you have to remove the barrel to get the piston out? Whenever I clean my ACR's piston, I have to remove the barrel to push the piston out of its housing; in other words, it will not drop free when the gas plug is removed. Just wondering...

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I only have to do that if I let the carbon get built up REALLY bad. Normally, it'll either fall free or I'll just remove the handguard, shoot some Remoil on it and give it a light foreward push from the side to get it out.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Another thing you can do (without removing the barrel) is take a bore rod and push the piston out from the back end. Thats how I have to get mine out every time. The only time it will fall out loose is after deep scrubing of the gas block. (on my rifle)

YMMV :cool:

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Anyone have a schematic of the gas system? More for giggles than anything.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Interesting. My ACR has about 200 rounds through it, but even so, the piston still wouldn't fall free when the rifle was new.

·
Premium Member
3,048 Posts
Yeah, I couldn't get my piston to fall free either

·
Registered
303 Posts
I have a background as an auto tech, so I took just a drop of high temp grease a put it on the bushings of the pushrod, it made it a very smooth operator.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Yeah, I put a little grease in the piston support but other than that it's all dry. I use a wire wheel in the bench grinder to clean the piston after the range.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts