ACR Forum banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Mod Squad
1,892 Posts
Yeah its been a while since I did cls. We train but the actual course doesn't teach giving iv's anymore. Damn troops getting off easy. We had to do it successfully before getting the certificate. Of course I got stuck with the kid that doesn't drink anything but soda. Finding his vein was like looking for brass in the weeds.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Pretty good refresher. Combat lifesaver (refresher) and green belt were two last things I did before getting out.
Green Belt?

·
Premium Member
3,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Marine Corps Martial Arts Program. I am a Green Belt as well. All infantry are required to be green belts before they deploy. The program is a mash of multiple martial arts (the key elements from those styles that work for a Marine, especially one in full gear)

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
ok,thats what i thought,wasnt sure.thx

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
All good info. I used to teach the basic course when I was at my old unit. The AF adopted an IFAK that was a cross between the Marine and Army kit. Their big addition was a SAM splint and depending on your issue date would have either the Israeli bandage or some other style whose name escapes me. I was a bigger fan of the Israeli but that could be that was what I learned first.

Whatever gear you end up with get a few of everything that way you've got your blow out kit and then stuff to practice with. Work it into your shooting drills if you train with buddies. But, most of all, get some hands-on training.

Another point about tourniquets is that whatever blood is below the TQ (if the limb remains of course) over time will basically become almost like poison and if released can do some serious damage on its own. Our medics related they inject the casualty with some sort of carbonate something or other to counteract that before releasing it. The amount they shoot them up with depends on the location but also how long the TQ has been in place.

Our kits were vacu-sealed like an MRE pack in the pouch when issued but I filedstripped the insert out of one of these to use in my personal kit. I like that it keeps it more organized and prevents me from throwing junk everywhere if I get a little over zealous in retrieving it.

http://www.supplycaptain.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&product_ID=254

·
Premium Member
3,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Stand by everyone, still trying to get this ready. Can't seem to find my DMOC/CLS power points.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Here you go Tommy, to start.

All sitting inside an ATS small medical pouch: LINK

*This is what came in the kit i bought, not saying it's perfect or complete.

1. Tape 2. Lightstick

3. Nasalpharyngeal Airway & lube

4. Big gauze roll

5. Tourniquet

6. ACS

7. Traumatic Wound dressing (bandage with integrated pad, pressure bar, closure)

8. Kerlix gauze/packing

9. Celox (blood clotting)

9. (under Celox) abdominal gauze pad

10. gloves

ifak.jpg

FWIW

·
Mod Squad
4,526 Posts
If I were yer, I'd keep the TKit seperate, pre-sized for your leg and on your kit ready to be deployed w/out having to fish for it.

Is the "NP Lube" a bottle of spit? Because that's all we ever used.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
If I were yer, I'd keep the TKit seperate, pre-sized for your leg and on your kit ready to be deployed w/out having to fish for it.

Is the "NP Lube" a bottle of spit? Because that's all we ever used.
Definitely a good idea for the tourniquet sized and clipped to the outside...

I hope to never find out what the NP lube tube is full of.

·
Premium Member
3,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
1. Tape 2. Lightstick

3. Nasalpharyngeal Airway & lube - this is to help ensure the airway is open. I don't recommend trying to do it without a little training, but basically, you just slide it up the nose and down.

4. Big gauze roll - do i really need to elaborate?

5. Tourniquet - get rid of that sorry TQ, Jason. That thing will let you die.

6. ACS

7. Traumatic Wound dressing (bandage with integrated pad, pressure bar, closure) - Generally used for abdominal wounds or large cuts. Think of it as a big band aid

8. Kerlix gauze/packing - stuff this into gun shots, shrapnel wounds, or deep gashes

9. Celox (blood clotting) - never heard of it so I can't speak of its use or effectiveness. I recommend replacing it with quick clot or combat gauze

9. (under Celox) abdominal gauze pad

10. gloves

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
5. Tourniquet - get rid of that sorry TQ, Jason. That thing will let you die.

9. Celox (blood clotting) - never heard of it so I can't speak of its use or effectiveness. I recommend replacing it with quick clot or combat gauze
Give me a tourniquet suggestion!

Celox is like the original quick clot, but it doesn't heat up.
I have a block of quickclot gauze coming.

·
Premium Member
3,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Hang on, I'll post a link to a TQ. It's the only only one I would use. It's damn near fuck up proof once you understand how to use it. And far better than a cat or whatever is currently issued.

http://www.extremeoutfitters.us/natotourniquet.aspx

Thats the store I bought mine from, it's in Jacksonville, NC (Camp Lejuene). They even have a couple of pics to help you figure out how to use it.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
You're familiar with this guy, Jason? I found him through Chris Costa so I naturally assumed he was GTG. I really like their Ifak. Ill probably be putting that on my pig pc

Sent from my DROID X2

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
You're familiar with this guy, Jason? I found him through Chris Costa so I naturally assumed he was GTG. I really like their Ifak. Ill probably be putting that on my pig pc

Sent from my DROID X2
Yes, i know him, met him and spent some time at SHOT this year. He is definitely GTG.

·
Premium Member
3,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
I like how their Ifak has bungie cord to put your tq in on the outside. Very convenient. The combat sheers storage area is ideal as well. Well worth the 160 bucks for all of the medical gear and pouch. Well thought out. This def gets my seal of approval

Sent from my DROID X2

21 - 40 of 51 Posts