ACR Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a link to a super long video that I did on my new ACR DMR and some of the issues with it. - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ix8...m1sxsw0vey04otwuvy4bk0h00410.1580955874621973

I have a couple main issues with it, but the most pressing is that it is insanely overgassed with just low power .223 loads.

I have seen some people drill and tap their gas blocks to turn it into a truly adjustable system and that is probably the route that I am going to go and any advice would be excellent.

Also I am looking for 2 components to purchase.

1. Fixed stock, any color

2. A polymer hand guard of any type.

Thanks,
Jon

· Registered
1,131 Posts
Welcome to the forum glad you like your cheap acr, they are over 2400 here in ca right now plus dros and tax.

That being said the world is filled with people who love to hate and it's tired.

If the acr feels over gassed with out of spec ammo, it's doing its more than its job to still cycle it, switch to a name brand like federal.

If you still feel it's overgassed then have the gas port on the barrel resized, you may f up the gas block and good luck getting another one. Shops like adco charge 30ish to resize gas ports plus assembly if required.

As for parts gun broker optics planet Brownells and armslist all have stuff floating around or put up a wtb so the most people here can respond, there's a ton floating around.

· Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In terms of ammo I was using Federal bulk pack .223, pretty mild in terms of .223. It was ejecting towards 12:30-1:00.

I have never heard of Adco, thanks for the info, that is super helpful.

I can't go onto the trading post without 30 posts :(

· Registered
306 Posts
Any ACR barrel assembly should be tuned. IMHO... My way to tune is to plug the gas port with a press fit piece of 17-4 and enlarge the hole until it cycles my weakest load and muzzle device combo. Then enlarge by the next drill bit size I have.

For hotter loads utilize the gas plug. Need to take pictures of my plug. It's now a 5 position plug. One no-bleed position, like the stock, then gradual step up to bleeding ≈0.080". That usually gives me the range for shitty wolf to 2500fps stuff to short K can to sandman-s. I'm doing 7.62x39 mind you.

For a more DMR'ish setup I also did the fix aluminum trunnion. I kno hkbeltfed did a run. Believe I got mine from someone that did a run before him. Templar/Bigdog

For the stock there is the KNS long range:
https://kineticresearchgroup.com/product/acr-long-range-folding-stock/

I'm not a huge fan of the polymer handguard. I'd highly recommend RPM precision:
https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/Machine-Shop/Rpmtool-297321174021930/

· Registered
1,131 Posts
Right now there is 2 fixed coyote stocks on optics planet and one folder with fixed cheek piece on GunBroker. Because it gets so hot in the deserts of CA and I'm not usually at a bench I bought the polymer parts for a pistol I'm converting to a rifle and I recommend them, especially if you plan to run a different barrel profile and high rate if fire.

I bought a ddles ar15 adapter and Ace arfx rifle stock for it but the polymer version just works so well.

I like the rpm handguards alot but you'll pay 5x more for one than the polymer one and unless your doing bench shooting with a bipod your not going to see any more accuracy just toasty fingers.

Attachments

· Registered
35 Posts
Do you have a picture with the ace stock and adapter?

Right now there is 2 fixed coyote stocks on optics planet and one folder with fixed cheek piece on GunBroker. Because it gets so hot in the deserts of CA and I'm not usually at a bench I bought the polymer parts for a pistol I'm converting to a rifle and I recommend them, especially if you plan to run a different barrel profile and high rate if fire.

I bought a ddles ar15 adapter and Ace arfx rifle stock for it but the polymer version just works so well.

I like the rpm handguards alot but you'll pay 5x more for one than the polymer one and unless your doing bench shooting with a bipod your not going to see any more accuracy just toasty fingers.

· Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Any ACR barrel assembly should be tuned. IMHO... My way to tune is to plug the gas port with a press fit piece of 17-4 and enlarge the hole until it cycles my weakest load and muzzle device combo. Then enlarge by the next drill bit size I have.

For hotter loads utilize the gas plug. Need to take pictures of my plug. It's now a 5 position plug. One no-bleed position, like the stock, then gradual step up to bleeding ≈0.080". That usually gives me the range for shitty wolf to 2500fps stuff to short K can to sandman-s. I'm doing 7.62x39 mind you.

For a more DMR'ish setup I also did the fix aluminum trunnion. I kno hkbeltfed did a run. Believe I got mine from someone that did a run before him. Templar/Bigdog

For the stock there is the KNS long range:
https://kineticresearchgroup.com/product/acr-long-range-folding-stock/

I'm not a huge fan of the polymer handguard. I'd highly recommend RPM precision:
https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/Machine-Shop/Rpmtool-297321174021930/

Thanks for the Info, super helpful!

· Registered
1,131 Posts
https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/dou...ube-aluminum-black-a101b/FC-841348101024.html

https://ddles.com/shop?olsPage=products

Also since you mentioned the election angle as a symptom the Remington extractor ejects a different pattern that the original ejector or the ar15 which uses that angle as a symptom, if you shoot wolf or tula and it's more to the rear you may want to consider leaving it as is to function with the widest selection of ammo.

Templar precision can handle both the resizing and other custom work and specializes in the acr with good turnaround.

If you want to cut the weight and length down adco can cut 2/3 of a pound or some off the dmr barrel by cutting it down to 14.5 and lw profile for about 200, ar15barrels.com does the same for 140 but has a little wait time unless you live local they do walk-ins, going tomorrow as a matter of fact.

· Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/dou...ube-aluminum-black-a101b/FC-841348101024.html

https://ddles.com/shop?olsPage=products

Also since you mentioned the election angle as a symptom the Remington extractor ejects a different pattern that the original ejector or the ar15 which uses that angle as a symptom, if you shoot wolf or tula and it's more to the rear you may want to consider leaving it as is to function with the widest selection of ammo.

Templar precision can handle both the resizing and other custom work and specializes in the acr with good turnaround.

If you want to cut the weight and length down adco can cut 2/3 of a pound or some off the dmr barrel by cutting it down to 14.5 and lw profile for about 200, ar15barrels.com does the same for 140 but has a little wait time unless you live local they do walk-ins, going tomorrow as a matter of fact.
Sweet, thanks for the information.

· Registered
1,131 Posts
Deffinately take it slow and try not to make unecesary changes to the rifles operation unless its not working. I've been using the vg6 muzzle devices instead of the surefire and it deffinately softens the felt recoil noticably.

· Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Deffinately take it slow and try not to make unecesary changes to the rifles operation unless its not working. I've been using the vg6 muzzle devices instead of the surefire and it deffinately softens the felt recoil noticably.

taking off the muzzle device was insanely difficult, I put on a Stag arms 3G compensator that I had laying around, will test it out soon.

· Premium Member
4,922 Posts
Hk made the trunnions before I made mine. They are both good setups. His are completely anodized whereas mine are cerakoted in all the exterior portions. I was advised by the engineer who designed the Aluminum trunnions to not coat the inside where the extension mates up as it would not be consistently the same dimension.

Personally I haven’t had a lot of good luck with accuracy on a dmr but I have seen some of my customers pull damn good groups with them.

My best accuracy has been with short barrels on the Acr, especially with grendel

· Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hk made the trunnions before I made mine. They are both good setups. His are completely anodized whereas mine are cerakoted in all the exterior portions. I was advised by the engineer who designed the Aluminum trunnions to not coat the inside where the extension mates up as it would not be consistently the same dimension.

Personally I haven’t had a lot of good luck with accuracy on a dmr but I have seen some of my customers pull damn good groups with them.

My best accuracy has been with short barrels on the Acr, especially with grendel

just curious what do you charge for gas system work? like more than two settings on the gas regulator?

· Premium Member
4,922 Posts
You would ideally need a new gas block and regulator for that kind of setup. That or a very modified regulator that would work with a factory gas block.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.