ACR Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
cant wait for this forum to take off!! I got a whole 5 minutes with my favorite shops 1st ACR , AS IT WAS BEING SOLD! having waited 3 years it was not enough, but cash flow demand I wait a bit before taking the plunge ,relly waiting for an aluminum lower -my only complaint on the roll-out :D

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
You know the lower experiences so little friction or anything from the action f the rifle. I mean show me a polymer pistol frame that has broke because of normal use. You can't, because polymer is actually stronger than aluminum. Ruger did a demonstration of an aluminum trigger guard. They dropped a weight on it from about 4 feet and the aluminum trigger guard snapped in half like a hot knife through butter. However, the polymer trigger guard survived the weight drop without so much as a scratch. The Polymer can bend and therefore can take more than Aluminum. The problem with an aluminum upper, is heat. The lower gets almost no real heat on a piston gun.

·
Registered
49 Posts
ACRTOME, welcome to the forums. As far as plastic lowers go, I used to feel the same way, about AR magazines. I was trained with metal magazines and by god I would have never touched them plastic toy magazines. That was my initial reaction when the pmags came out. I then began to better educate my self and began to see that the other guys were beating the living crap out of those "plastic" magazines and nothing seemed to face them. In the other hand my GI issued mags were breaking at the welds, warping, and getting dents all from just droping them 4 feet to the ground while conducting combat reloads on carbine classess. After I opened my mind and learned that the polymer used on modern firearm parts is stronger than aluminum I will never return to metal mags. Besides the ACR is already a pig when it comes to weight, to make an aluminum lower reliable it would have to be reinforced at certain areas increasing the weight even more.

·
Registered
21 Posts
[quote author=ACRFan link=topic=75.msg393#msg393 date=1272248523]
They dropped a weight on it from about 4 feet and the aluminum trigger guard snapped in half like a hot knife through butter.
[/quote]

If your butter is snapping you might consider switching brands.

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
The point is that you do not NEED an aluminum lower. Polymer will function and last just as long if not longer than aluminum.

·
Registered
21 Posts
[quote author=ACRFan link=topic=75.msg406#msg406 date=1272501449]
The point is that you do not NEED an aluminum lower. Polymer will function and last just as long if not longer than aluminum.
[/quote]

Hehe, I know. Just pulling your leg ; )

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
poly vs. alum. lower

to each his own, I guess my real reason for wanting the aluminum lower is simply to allow the choice of pistol grips for personal preference, was my understanding the Remington GEN. 7 has this feature, true or not?/

·
Forum Vassal
709 Posts
I would like the aluminum lower, but the additional weight is going to be a buzzkill.

The ACR is already porky as is.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts