T-1 on Larue Mount
PEQ-15
Aimpoint Twist mount base for PVS-15 in TM-14 mount
M620V in custom mount
Surefire Dual pressure pad
AAC custom Battle Comp SPR/M4 mount
14.5" lightened barrel
Custom forward sling mount
Custom Extened Charging Handle (To clear the PEQ)
AFG Mounted directly to handguard

Pre folding stock

Sling Mount (For MS2)

With the can in an old configuration

Night shooting under NODS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5lEBHigUfM

More shooting @ 1:00

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UN3IDH9FqjE&feature=related

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
Nice setup. I know you are on M4C and I am curious as to what your go to gun is. Is it the ACR or is it an AR15/M4 type? No wrong answer, just curious is all.

·
Registered
242 Posts
How do you mount an AFG directly to the handgaurd?

·
Registered
242 Posts
I also noticed you moved your pressure switch to the top. Do you like that better?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My go to gun is now this. I have sold my LWRC upper and purchased another ACR. I bought this with the intention of keeping it as my go to (Pending that it actually worked) and 3,500 rounds of reduced recoil, better ergonomics later. I kept it. I now have a second which is F1 pending to be a 10.5 5.56 and 12" 300blk.

There are a few things I did do, first was take out all of the frame screws and loc-tite them, then mark all screws. Replaced the trigger with an SSA from my LWRC (Not really needed, but i had it)

I also use this gun for night shooting, and its a pain to change the PEQ, so this will stay as the go to...

I still have my SBR LWRC lower, eventually will get another upper for it just to have, but no real rush now that I have a second ACR (And parts if I need them)

The direct mount AFG came as a result of not being able to reach the top rail with my thumb if I mounted it on a rail section. Just cut down the AFG flush to its rail mating surface and roughly shape in the form of the basic handguard. Do a quick measurement, and drill two holes for the rail mounting screws and use the magpul rail backers. Loc-tite and done. it works great and eliminates a second attachment (failure) point. I also may switch to a handstop to try it out.

You cant see it, but on the left side of the gun I made a thumb rest, just a piece of turned aluminum, bolted to the left rail. That way if I dont want a light AD (night shooting, etc) I can swap my thumb to the thumb rest and still exert pressure on the AFG to drive it better. If that makes sense...

I wanted to eliminate all of the rail sections and decrease the width of the gun. I also wanted to get the light as close to 12 oclock as I could. (For shooting around barriers) so I fabbed the mount you see to pull the light in and move it closer to the centerline without getting in the way of the IR laser (Creating backsplash)

One thing this does do (Top rail pressure pad) is put my thumb in the way of the IR illuminator (Which I dont really use having the 620V). But I really love the 12 oclock pressure pad location, its the best way ive found (for me)

Initially I was going to sell my M300A and get another X300. However I tried an X300 on the top rail and needed to move my hand too far back to activate the light. Just wouldnt work for me.

Here are some more pictures

and the twin

·
Mod Squad
4,526 Posts
Though I don't personally use the Costa grip, it's very innovative to fab a thumb rest so you don't inadvertantly light AD. Any pics of it?

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Your ACR is awesome. I almost regged at ar15 to say so. :D Normally I don't like a bunch of stuff on there, but you really make me want to emulate it. No cans in the People's Republic of Kalifornia, though, so I would definitely leave that off. :(

PEQ-15? I'm getting hits on an airsoft one... That's not it, is it?

I do really wish Bushmaster would have used Magpul FDE instead of Coyote Brown. Or alternatively that Magpul would release some accessories in Coyote Brown just for the ACR (AFG2, at least!)

·
Premium Member
4,707 Posts
someone on ar15.com duracoated his acr in fde and it looked pretty good, i personally like the coyote better though, and as far as the ir laser, they are cool but as goteron said they are pretty much useless without nod's

i'd love to get a peq15 adventually, i'm hoping they do the class 1 thing with them at a reduced price vs the full powered model

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Im not much for matching colors, as long as it's not black. I'll probably spray paint the guns some day.

The class I lasers are a joke, they are too weak to get any real use out of. With any amount of ambient light you will have trouble seeing them. There are some PEQs and DBALs out there and the prices are getting better. A class I PEQ would probably be $1200 ish, you can get a real one for double that if you look in the right places. I imagine a lot of guys will get the class I just to have it for pictures, but I think they have no value as far as usefulness.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Hey Goteron, I saw that you're pretty proficient when it comes fabricating metal attachments. Would you be willing try a build on an ASAP plate concept that would work on both the fixed and folding stock? I pictured it mounting to the rear reciever bolts and suspending just under the stock lever to clear the operator's hand and the stock itself.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts