ACR Forum banner
61 - 79 of 79 Posts
I like that 3D design you have there. Is that just a concept you found somewhere, or do you have dimensional drawings to go with it? I like the weight reduction potential and that there is a shelf on the side facing the ejection port. That could also be used as a potential forward assist like the AR bolt cutout.
I don't really have connections, but if I had time I have a program I could try and get the drawings and dimensions mapped so someone get a manufacturer to make a prototype.... hmm... actually, my sister has access to a small plastic 3D printer... I might have to re-download the student version of autodesk inventor and get playing around. CURSES TO MY TWO MONTH VACATION!!! I don't have enough time in the day to get everything done before I start up school again. This is my last free summer :(
Anyone know if others are working on this yet so I don't waste my time?

Discussion starter · #63 ·
I've talked to Marvin about going a little lighter but I haven't made a decision yet since I do use this in matches all year. After this season I do plan to develop a pure competition ACR with the carrier taken as far as it can go, along with an 18" JP barrel, CF extended handguard, non-QD trunnion and hopefully the aluminum lower. :cool: Once I start that, I'll have my current match ACR to fall back on if we go too far.

Discussion starter · #65 ·
Why an 18" barrel? Do you shoot that far in your competitions?
The MGM Iron man and couple others are supposed to go out to 600 yards. I'm fine with the 14" out around 450 which is what I'll be doing this summer but I think for 600 I'll need some more velocity. Also for what ever reason most people in 3 gun can't wrap their head around the ACR not becoming softer shooting with a longer barrel like the AR does. So the 18" barrel would go a long way towards people looking at it like a legitimate 3 gun rifle. I'll still be using my current rifle 90% of the time though. The new one will mainly be a test bed so I don't screw up my main rifle. If it ends up working out then I may switch to it full time and just swap barrels as needed like I do now.

Discussion starter · #67 ·
If it works for you, run with it. I just figured that extra barrel would give you more (unwanted) weight up front. If it helps you hit reliably at 600m, then I guess it's worth it.
I use 14" exclusively right now, I doubt that'll really change. I've never shot out to 600 yards, or even 500 yards so I couldn't say what would help really. Even if I switch to the match gun full time, I doubt I'll run the 18" more than 3 or 4 times a year outside of practice. But it'll be good to demo and test the limits of the ACR with. The whole point of the rifle is to adapt to missions. That'll definitely give me that capability. I also really want something in Kryptek Typhon lol.

This seems like a promising concept, hopefully someone can look into this more so we can tag along

Ill pay good to someone who can mill down my bolt's MULTI-CAL and turn it into MULTI-CAL LOL

Discussion starter · #73 ·
I wouldn't like it squared off like it is but if it ramped down to the cut it would be fine. If you look at the lightened carriers for ARs and shotguns they have design feature similar without issue. In fact they look pretty bad ass.

Discussion starter · #75 ·
I just wouldn't want the gaping hole in my receiver (ejection port) all the time.
Oh I see what you mean, the hole that would be a straight shot to the inside from the back. It is designed to be open and allow dirt and mud space to flow through but I could see that being enough to clog fire controls and mags. So yeah I agree. I didn't think about that. I think the way the side of mine is cut combined with the top and bottom of his would be best.

How much does this typically cost?
I’m not sure what Marvin charges to do the weight reduction. He does really good work though. I generally charge 145 to do it so that’s a good reference point for you

61 - 79 of 79 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.