ACR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Forum Vassal
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Call me crazy, but I like old school woodland camo. BDU's, not so much, but woodland ACU would be the awesome.

MARSOC apparently feels the same way, but is upping the game with CRYE Crye Precision uniforms.

Mind you, I think Multicam is better than woodland all around.

http://kitup.military.com/2011/08/marsoc-adopts-woodland-crye-precision-uniform.html

Back in April Kit Up! reported on MARSOC placing a large order with Crye Precision, 950 uniforms per year for five years in fact. Now we see the first pictures of MARSOC Marines using them in theater. Looks to me like we’ve got one shooter and one designated marksmen in this picture. The woodland pattern Crye uniforms are previously reported upon, but still interesting.

Read more: http://kitup.military.com/2011/08/marsoc-adopts-woodland-crye-precision-uniform.html#ixzz1VpepflZ6
Kit Up!

·
Registered
737 Posts
Odd that they are picking old school woodland over Woodland Marpat, since they are very similar anyway. Any mention of which theater they are using it in?

·
Mod Squad
4,526 Posts
There's a reason why they are using Woodland over MARPAT, and it has nothing to do with terrain.

Oooooh... look at that delicious looking Leupold MK8.... Mmmmmm...

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
I figured it was a cost issue; woodland material could probably be had for cheaper and given that true MARPAT is patented it was probably a hassle to release it for something else. Given my experience with the military it was usually something stupid like that. but, could be to blend in with coalition that where something similar too.

·
Super Moderator
4,707 Posts
i like the marsoc m4's, although it makes me feel good that they are bringing back the woodland bdu's since i was issued them in basic

·
Forum Vassal
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Woodland itself is not bad camo. Looks real sharp in CRYE form as well.

Propper has been doing Woodland ACU's for awhile, and I've always thought it worked well

·
Mod Squad
4,526 Posts
So apparently on Kitup, "the guy on the left" chimes in with a post about them not being Crye's, just something they had tailored to look like them. Is it really him that left that comment? I have my doubts. Either way, they still look pretty cool.

I personally dislike the direction Kitup has gone in trying to report "the latest info" about gear, operations, etc... They go to far and release/validate too much info that breach OPSEC violations. From their latest post:

"EDITOR'S NOTE: Kit Up! switched out the previous photo at the request of a MarSoc operator due to PersSec concerns. We apologize for any inconvenience this might cause."

Dumbshits.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
OOOOLD school iron-on. Nice! Funny, I saw that article and replied on an unrelated search. And then see it posted here.

could be to blend in with coalition that where something similar too.
That would be my guess

·
Registered
204 Posts
Looks good.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The use of woodland is the for the same reason you'll see MARSOC Marines sporting Afghanistan flags and Afghan Special Forces patches. It's not necessarily to blend in with the environment, but with the Afghan Commandos.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
I was not MARSOC, but if I was to guess, though they would never admit it, is they went with this pattern because it was old and would be different. That do more with less pride a Marine has. I went in with MARPAT, but guys held dearly onto tri color until they were forced not to wear them. Even in 2008, I saw guys in chocolate chip uniforms that were instructors in the field.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts