ACR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Mod Squad
1,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took photos of how I did it. I prefer the look of the enhanced stock but unfortunately new York state would rather those extra 2 inches are better used elsewhere. So anyway ill post pics if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Educate me:

I know that NY doesnt want folding stock, but can you have an adjustable one as long as the folding option is disabled?

Does the rifle minimum overall length?

·
Mod Squad
1,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
It was a kit but all it is is a small plastic dowel the size of the spring for the button used to fold the stock. I want to say it was a 3/8" diameter but I don't think it matters too much. It fits in the recess of where the spring was. Its pretty easy. I initially found out about this searching for it and another forum had a post but the picture wasn't coming up. Im on my phone so I may have to do a few posts. As far as ny law it says the stock cannot collapse and minimum o.a.l. is 26" I believe. So its the middle setting on the stock. Same length as the basic one. Kind of sucks. I was going to pin it at the minimum and allow it to extend but didn't want some rookie off duty at the gun shop or range to question me. So step one.....get a roll pin driver or flat tipped punch to hammer out the hinge roll pin. Do not use one too small or a pointed one. Its a size 5/32" punch I used. Ill have to do the uploads from a com puter tonight. Some were too large to upload and im trying to keep them in order when they get posted. This is a pain to do on a phone.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Thanks;

I'm so glad I moved out of NY 30 yrs ago. Great place to grow up, but......................................

Looking forward to seeing the "fruits of your labor" :cool:

·
Mod Squad
1,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Knocking the roll pin out. 5/32"punch punch. Again a roll pin driver is best. Flat tip will work. A pointed one or one too small will ruin it. I did have to use an allen key for the last 1/2" but it came right out. Open up the hinge and next its onto the release button.

Attachments

·
Mod Squad
1,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you look in the rectangular hole opposite side of the release button you'll are the tab that you see in the pic. Use something flat to pry it and the button will some out. It didnt take much effort. You'll then replace the spring with the lockout pin. The kit was all you see there. A plastic towel. A bolt could be cut and used. A wooden dowel or anything. I thought this was something more than it was or else I would of made it. Anyway drop the pin in where the spring was and pop it back in to how it was installed in the stock.

Attachments

·
Mod Squad
1,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Once done putting it back together isn't as hard as it seems. The locking tab on the release button needs to go in its respective notch on the other plate first. Once in then you can line the hinge up and reinstall the pin. No spring needed.

Attachments

·
Registered
610 Posts
Too bad the pin wasn't made to fit inside the spring. That way you wouldn't need to store the spring elsewhere and it will always be available should you move to a free state.

·
Mod Squad
1,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
IYeah I could of stored it in the battery compartment that is now the void. Its not hard the change back.t The unfortunate change is the pinning of the collapsable stock. I chose to remove the retaining screw and still an 1/8" hole through it the length of the same size roll pin and just hammered it in.

Attachments

·
Mod Squad
1,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hope this helps. I made a mess of the thread but wanted to get the pics out to you guys. I've got some paint to retouch.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Not really a mess, was able to understand what you did. Thanks for the effort.

·
Mod Squad
1,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks. It was pretty easy. I don't know how many this will benefit. But I wanted to share. The enhanced stock just plain looks better anyway. Hope everybody gets the concept. Fired off my first rounds yesterday. A grand total of five. Battery holder fell out. Just trying to scare the crows off. They cost alot of money in crop damages. Stock is still plenty solid. Nice solid rifle. Need to look into a muzzle brake.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Glad you're pleased with the rifle as a whole. I'm so happy that I don't have to deal with that crap.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
I only have to have folding restricted (but have a mag lock to take care of the telescoping, pistol grip, and flash hider "evil features." :rolleyes: )

·
Super Moderator
4,707 Posts
i hate those laws, like its really that hard to find the parts and restore the "evil features" that were banned, its a good idea on paper but irl it doesnt do anyone much good...

i do have to say, good work on the stock though!

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
I think they're just as absurd in theory as they are useless in practice. I somehow doubt someone intent on killing is going to be bothered to be inconvenienced by a few minor technicalities such as their mag capacity if their stock can close or not. But such is the consequence of allowing the near daily infringement on the right to keep and bear arms (which meant the same thing in 1789 as they do in 2011) by the NFA and GCA, much less these trivialities.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I don't understand why you have to deactivate the collapsable stock. On my ACR it's 26.5", from the back of the receiver to the tip of the muzzle brake. Gun should still be 35"+, with the stock at it's shortest. Not familiar with NY. laws, but should be ok.

·
Mod Squad
1,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah one of new yorks mysteries. The law just states that the stock cannot collapse. As far as overall length I just pinned it at the same size as the basic stock. Can't go wrong that way. Since the laws are so strict here I did not want to risk going by the wrong information. It is a serious offense to have the folding stock and collapsing stock on a non preban firearm.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Yeah, California we just have to watch the length, so telescoping doesn't matter. Folding brings it under the 30" minimum to be an "assault weapon" or as CalGuns guys prefer "banned semi-auto."

1 - 20 of 23 Posts