ACR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I went to the range today with my buddy who happens to be left handed. I offer to let him run a mag through my ACR and he does, but throughout the session, he's getting pummeled about the face and neck with 5.56 casings to the point where he has a bunch of red spots and circles. He was getting hit like 75% of the time. This obviously took away from his enjoyment of shooting the rifle. Lefties: solutions?

·
Mod Squad
1,892 Posts
Damn I have not fired mine yet. Im not sure if apwr made something yet but I trust he could develop something. Hot brass is no fun. I filled someones lap with 200 links and brass from a saw a few days ago. Tons of melted spots on his gear. Guess you had to of been in the truck to see how entertaining it was.

·
Super Moderator
4,707 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
Probably just a new modified deflector. I have tried lefty and haven't got hit however if Ryan comes out with a solution to the regular lefties I think all ACR owners will benefit from owning one.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'm left-handed and have had zero issues in over 600 rounds through it. Mine deflects it to the right very well. My complaint is that the deflector dings the brass....

·
Registered
299 Posts
have over 1000 left handed rounds fired, no issues EXCEPT steel cased russian which is underpowered and ejects differently , my solution was to fab my own new case deflector using an AR upper blank forging as a starting point and cut the "A2" case deflector off that forging and attempted to recreate the Masadas original deflector, and it works fine, but I suppose the real solution is for me at least use good brass cased 556 not generic rusky 223-Thunderdan what type of ammo were you running ??

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was using .223 62gr HP Silver Bear (the good steel cased Ruskie). It was ejecting at about 4:30 throughout. Strangely, I've always found Silver Bear to be every bit as hot as the XM193 I also use regularly. Wouldn't the hotter rounds eject further back toward 6:00 and underpowered further forward?

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
OUCH!!!

Personally I think I would'a stopped after the 1st 2 hit me. He definately won't forget that range trip anytime soon.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Ouch. You lefties have a bad shake on rifles. My buddy bought a Stag Arms Leftie m4. He likes it, but it still needed adaptations for the controls to be left handed (ie- mag release, bolt release, charging handle)

·
Registered
86 Posts
OK...I'm a lefty and my ACR was smacking me here and there. Now until BM comes out with a new taller deflector here is what I did. I think it was LOWES or Home Depot and purchased some raised foam Dots in different sizes that come on a sheet. Stick a raised dot on the ACR's square deflector and your done. I have not been hit with any brass since. It's Cheap and effective!

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
OK...I'm a lefty and my ACR was smacking me here and there. Now until BM comes out with a new taller deflector here is what I did. I think it was LOWES or Home Depot and purchased some raised foam Dots in different sizes that come on a sheet. Stick a raised dot on the ACR's square deflector and your done. I have not been hit with any brass since. It's Cheap and effective!
Excellent and cheap solution......well done!!

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OUCH!!!

Personally I think I would'a stopped after the 1st 2 hit me. He definately won't forget that range trip anytime soon.
Yeah, he's a "drive on 'till it's done or until I'm out of ammo" kind of guy. I'm more like you. No need to do things on purpose to injure myself. I do enough by accident already...

Sweet. I'll make sure I pick that up before he visits next time. Thanks!

BM needs to work up a permanent solution to this...

·
Registered
610 Posts
Could you post a pic? This is a great and cheap fix.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Here is a picture.

Might not be tacti cool but it works for me. And I agree BM needs to offer an improved deflector. Maybe hotter 5.56 rounds will eject pass lefties face. I have also been nabbed a couple times by my SCAR 17 using DAG ammo. Not as much as the ACR but when a .308 shell tags you it feels just a tad bit different than a 5.56 case!

Attachments

·
Registered
610 Posts
Looks good, thanks for the pic. I couldn't imagine needing to replace it very often but eventually.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Heh, it blends pretty well from my POV. I suppose you could stack them if you wanted as well (just to make sure)...

·
Registered
12 Posts
I shoot left handed too. I think I've been hit once or twice but never have I looked like that guy in this thread. The once or twice was when the rifle malfunctioned at that.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts