ACR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternoon all,
I have been shooting pistols and shotguns for sport forever but recently decided to add a rifle--the ACR is my first. Needless to say, I don't know much about it but am loving the hell out of it here in Colorado. I broke it down after my first 180 rounds to check for any weird wear patterns and found this below. Bushmaster says it isn't a problem, but I'm a little uneasy as this seems to connect where this piece hits at the front and back (sorry, don't know the name of it but is the piece inside the upper that connects to the charging handle.) Just curious if anybody else has seen this or knows if it is normal? Thanks for any feedback and happy shooting!

IMAG0137.jpg

·
Premium Member
505 Posts
Welcome,
Hope you enjoy the ACR rifle and from what I can tell(pic makes it tough to see) you might have a problem. That part(charging handle carrier for the sake of giving it a temporary name) is made of aluminum and is anodized so something like that seems like a crack or a complete fracture from the picture. I wouldn't suggest taking it apart because you are going to have to strip it pretty far down to get to that part. I would find someone at busmaster to email and send them a few different pics of it to see if they still think it is no big deal. Also I am in Northern CO so if you are in the area we could compare ACRs in reality.

Mike

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
If that's the slide you can remove it pretty easily by first removing the barrel, then pressing in on the latch and sliding it out of the receiver from the front. You'll be able to get a better look that way. The pic can be deceiving but it looks like it is cracked to me.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I any tell what I'm looking at here, man. Sorry. Welcome to the forum, though. You'll find a lot of knowledge and insight here.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks for the feedback all--I don't get to shoot often (work nights and most weekends) and my major concern is that realistically I will only get a couple of more opportunities to shoot before it is out of warranty next May, so trying to find any and all problems. BM was even really good about sending me the newer model gas regulator (I am BL005XX) even though I had zero trouble eating 180rnds of XM855 at high altitude (just want to have one on reserve). I'm just a little concerned about how quick they were to say it is not a problem over the phone when I don't think they even completely understood what I was talking about. I'll be calling someone C-suite next Monday if I don't get a response to the emailed pics by then.

Mike, thanks for the offer. I am in Denver but if you aren't too far from Ft. Collins I'd love to squeeze off a few sometime.

Would still love to hear if anybody else has seen this or heard of this as a problem...

(added a different angle pic--will see if I can easily disassemble and diagnose better) IMAG0135.jpg

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
If you can try and pull that charging slide out of the upper. It'll slide out the front, just hold down that latch on the left side. It still looks almost to be the start of a crack maybe, but it could just be a wonky artifact in the anodizing process.

·
Registered
81 Posts
how does the marking geel when u slide ur fingers over it? smooth? rough? crack? indentation?

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
gigabit--feels rough as if raised up which makes me think it could be something due to anodizing as DSM suggested; but I think that as it is also on the same arm parallel to this one, I think that this could be a natural weak point in its structure and this is a result of repeated compression stress

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
If it parallels the other side then I'd lean towards to bad dip in the anodizing tank. That location of the part isn't under a lot of stress really.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts