ACR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok here is one of my ideas to cut some weight off of the hand guard enhance model. It’s just a rough model so don’t pick it apart just yet .

Attachments

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Looks nice. I wonder how much that would actually shave off.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I thought of doing something similar, but you may want to use triangles instead. They are a stronger shape and would hold up to abuse better than the diamonds. Maybe two rows of triangles instead of the triangle/diamond/triangle design?

·
Mod Squad
1,892 Posts
I've got a basic handguard so I don't know much about the enhanced. I take it is made of aluminum? It does look like it may save some weight. If anything it allows more air flow around the barrel. Good idea shark.

·
Super Moderator
4,707 Posts
I think the fastest way to take weight off is the barrel, after that maybe lightening the handguard and/or you could do what Apwr did to his acr and mill the picattinnys down the middle

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I think the fastest way to take weight off is the barrel, after that maybe lightening the handguard and/or you could do what Apwr did to his acr and mill the picattinnys down the middle
+1. I chopped and reprofiled mine an I love it.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Concur. Sticking with a non-NFA (but 14.5" and pinned) barrel I cut just shy of 1/4lb. It handles and shoots great.

If you get more aggressive in profiling behind the gas block you could squeak a couple more ounces. goteron did that on his. Since that piston is whipping around during firing I'd like to see some good testing on an ultra LW, pencil profile barrel before really recommending it though.

Milling the aluminum reciever might shave grams but aluminum just isn't that heavy. When you strip your ACR down the bulk of the weight is coming from the trunnion. Maybe skeletonize the rails.

The polymer on the rifle is actually quite dense but you need that strength.

·
Premium Member
505 Posts
Weight-wise there is a large amount of metal tied up in the bolt carrier. If it could be skeletonized I think you could get a few ounces out of it. You would have to redo the gas system though.

I agree with losing weight in the barrel as well. I think a leaner handguard(Remington 5 side) could lose weight too.

Mike

·
Registered
303 Posts
I don't think I would want to remove any metal from the bolt carrier, I would bet thats what saved MarCorpsm4gery's ass, and every other part. when his ACR went Kaboom.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Yeah, I don't like the idea of reducing the structural integrity of a BCG. I would be afraid that it would wear and cause malfunction against the receiver. I could be way off base. I've never heard of a skeletonized BCG in any weapon. Any existing examples out there?

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
I think you could lighten the carrier w/o affecting integrity so much. In a quest to shave the most weight where you're adding ounces cumulatively, you could do some things to lighten the load. I was looking at it last night, maybe right above the recoil spring's home by drilling about a 3/16" shaft the length of the carrier, and then plugging it with an aluminum dowel or something.

But, now you changed the equation for how it cycles because the mass of that carrier affects dwell time when it fires to how much tension is needed on the recoil spring for feeding.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I'm assuming lightening the carrier is going to throw off the piston system. The piston is tuned to operate against a carrier of a certain mass/weight. You'd probably need to shrink your gas port or need a new gas regulator.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ya seen his video pretty bad ass im just building the rifle in autocad its cheaper to cut up a drawing then the real thing

1 - 20 of 20 Posts