ACR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to replace my ACR barrel with a stainless 14.5" 1:7 Twist 223 Wylde chambered in . Any idea where to go to get this done?

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
If you can find what barrel you want to use Adco might be able to do it. Might have to do something to the gas port or gas block to make it work right though.

·
Registered
213 Posts
If you send them your existing barrel and the new one, Adco can pretty much do anything you want.

Edit:

As mentioned above, ACRs use a smaller gas port drilled into the barrel, so they'd have to shrink it.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Depends. You could get a stainless barrel with a rifle length gas system and then have them reposition the gas port. That's one of their services.

Though, never really seen a stainless 1:7 that wasn't custom. Most of the stainless tubes I've seen were 1:8. I guess you're planning on shooting some 80gr+ pills then?

·
Super Moderator
4,707 Posts
iirc they could do that, i asked them about it a long time ago when i got my 1st acr, in theory doesnt the 14.5" ar15 use the same gas port as the 16.5" (same with the acr?)

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
iirc they could do that, i asked them about it a long time ago when i got my 1st acr, in theory doesnt the 14.5" ar15 use the same gas port as the 16.5" (same with the acr?)
Mine is a 16"OAL. I had them chop and pin my barrel, but nothing was done to the gas port.

From what I've seen, just research the project ahead of time (as you are now). They will do whatever you want, but it's more of a build to spec order. If you order a .0001 gas port, they'll make it happen. That doesn't mean that it'll work.
I think they will test it for function, though, if you send the whole rifle. I opted to just send my barrel.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
77 Grain. Would they just weld up the rifle gas port?
I think so, then profile it down. If you look close enough I'm sure you'd see it but it's cosmetic only.

A 1:8 would still work great for 77gr so that would help in your search and make it easier. My match barrel is 1:8 and hammers them. Oh yeah, Spikes said they weren't doing anymore barrels but might be worth giving them a call and seeing if they have any more left. There's were stainless 1:8 tubes.

·
Super Moderator
4,707 Posts
He really dropped that project in a hurry... maybe they are backlogged like crazy at spikes

I really don't see why no one wants to make replacement barrels for the acr bc they would make a killing, especially since it is a lightly modified ar15 barrel

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Didn't seem legal, just seemed like Spike's is backed up on their regular big orders and just aren't enough ACR's out there to justify it. Definitely a shame. I would get one now if it were available. Anyone here have one?

·
Registered
34 Posts
posted this on another site, .....it will make you sick....

Oh what might have been...........

Photo was taken last Sept 2010 in Illion. These were to have been sold by BM in Oct 2010. But the new guys at Freedom group laid off all the BM and Rem guys that were making this happen.
Remington absorbed the barrels for the .mil side.

I was forbidden to post these images last year but now.....who cares. All those guys have new jobs and greener pastures.

All I wanted was one........well, okay maybe three.

The pinned w/FH and unpinned 14.5"ers were to be made next.

There are days when I just try to reach in that pic and pull one out.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
That's enough to make me weep. Especially the pinned with FH that could/would/should have been mine. How retarded. :(

WTF did the mil side do with them?

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
So, who knows a good company that does the melonite/nitride process on barrels? I know we're not talking about massive quantities here but I reckon there are enough folks interested in such an animal to get together a mini group buy on a basic 1:7 barrel ready for your gas block and other components.

The trouble would be getting everyone to agree on a spec; 14.5" LW for pinning or 16" gov't profile to do with as you please later on or some other permutation thereof. And then when we're done I say we send the link to Freedom Group so their accountants can figure up how much money they lost.

·
Registered
34 Posts
That's enough to make me weep. Especially the pinned with FH that could/would/should have been mine. How retarded. :(

WTF did the mil side do with them?
Who knows? Probably stuck them in some LE or .mil demo guns.
Might still be sitting in that box in an unused corner of the big shop in Illion.
Anyway you look at it.... a total effing waste.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts