ACR Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

New here (obviously) was referred by a calguns member. Anyway, I'm ordering the desert tan tomorrow, but found a pic with some rail guards that perfectly match the ACR color. Anybody know how these were done, or where they were bought - gotta do this...

Chib Acr-Rifle.jpg

·
Super Moderator
4,707 Posts

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Those in the pic are Magpul XTM rails, but as far as I know, the only way to get that color is to dye it.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Yep, RIT tan dye for about 30-45 seconds. I did a bunch of FDE stuff not too long ago. It won't be super exact but it is pretty darn close.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Hey welcome to the forums Chib! I was glued to your topic on Calguns but never posted on it. Obviously I'm on this forum too and am super happy with my ACR. Glad you decided to get one as well!

·
Registered
299 Posts
I had my covers painted with dura coat they call their color "ACR CHEEKPIECE " you have to call and order it it matches the polymer parts of the gun not the recieve color FWIW

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
sweet, thanks guys. Having trouble finding the ACR in coyote right now. I could go basic (with enhanced stock) and order the BM rail - but would rather get the whole thing at once.

·
Super Moderator
4,707 Posts
I'd give the basic folder a chance I didn't think I'd like it but after using it alot I prefer the feel of the basic handguards

·
Mod Squad
4,526 Posts
If you plan on dyeing it instead of Duracoat, make sure you get the lightest color XTM's as possible. Black will not dye lighter.

·
Mod Squad
4,526 Posts
Somehow I don't think so as the color has to "infuse" itself into the original color, but I haven't tried it and could be totally wrong.

·
Mod Squad
1,892 Posts
I've got paint but nothing coyote to guinea pig it and do a comparison. Makes sence though. I like the coyote and wanted an acr in the color but am just not feeling small coyote parts with what I've done with my painting. If I were to come across a coyote acr though id snag it and donate a portion of my liver for it. I've yet to see one in person.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
It's easy to dye them and the RIT dye color you're looking for is their tan color. It doesn't take much, a few caps worth in the pot of water I used. Heat it up, dip your stuff for about 45 seconds, stir it around, remove and rinse and dry it off.

Remember, it's easy to make it darker but you can't make it lighter so run some tests first to get your technique and recipe down. Do small batches at a time otherwise you'll have parts soaking for much longer that can change the color.

It won't be an exact match to the coyote but it's very close in my opinion. Normal FDE looks almost gray next to the ACR but after they're dyed it passes for factory.

You could get some duracoat to match it too. Call up Lauer and ask for "ACR Cheekpiece". Light coats with an airbrush will make a very close match too.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey, who or what is Lauer? I will contact "it" for the paint to match, but I don't know what Lauer is..Thanks for the help.Chib

·
Registered
235 Posts
I know how you fell OIF0709, I'd love to have a coyote ACR too. When I bought mine I hadn't found this forum yet and all the pictures of the "coyote" ACR on bushy's website looked like they were some weird kind of mustard yellow so I didn't want to chance getting one and being repulsed every time I looked at it, thus I went with the trusty black. Oh well...

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Hey, who or what is Lauer? I will contact "it" for the paint to match, but I don't know what Lauer is..Thanks for the help.Chib
Lauer Weaponry, the folks that make duracoat.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts