ACR Forum banner

Which Optic Should I Choose?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay, I am currently running an EOtech XPS 2 with a part-time magnifier and a full-time magnifier mount. I'm looking to change that. In recent range trips, I have noticed that at mid-ranges, which is most likely in my use of the weapon, the 65MOA circle tends to obscure the target. I love it and its great for close work, but I can't rest on that. In addition, I've been drooling over the ACOGs for a while. I even had a lucky deal on one a while ago. That time, though, it was a TA11 with an illuminated crosshair. It was heavy, long, and not build for use with their BAC technique for close work.

Now, I've landed my sights on a TA31 variant. I mocked one up on an enhanced ACR in my local shop. The salesman rigged it about six rails in front of the rear sight, and it was a little uncomfortable to get the proper eye relief. But when I moved it back to one rail in front of the rear sight, it was natural as hell. The BAC was working great and the glass was clear as crystal. Needless to say, I'm in love. The weight, side-by-side with an XPS2, "feels" equal. I know that it's less than that of my entire current rig. I love the field of view and the clarity of the glass. I'd prefer the TA31h-g with the horseshoe reticle in green, but that model is less common and therefore more expensive to find online. I may have to get a TA31f (red chevron) if it means a more affordable price. I'm going to try to find a deal with my local dealer, but I'm not sure how low they'll be willing to go on price. I'm seeing some decent deals online, too.

I want some advice on online dealer sites. Opinions regarding this switch are welcome. I want to hear from those who have used these optics in depth with tips and advice. I want opinions on the reticle and color of your choice. I want to know how well it interacts with different lighting and situations. The reticle on the TA11 that I had tried out before would wash out in a dark room using a flashlight. I don't know if that's the overall optic construction, the reticle color, or the reticle shape, but I do not want to see that kind of thing happening on my next one.

I'm looking on feEbay, gunbroker, and any retailer I can find on Google. I'll name them as they come up to see if anyone has any experience with them or have heard any rep on them.

This site has proven a great resource and I'm looking to tap it again. Thanks in advance.:cool:

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
103 Posts
972 is about the cheapest your gonna get unless a used one pops up but I have never seen one sell for less than 800 used for the ta31 series. I had this optic for a few years and they are built like a tank and will last a long time, but I do have a suggestion for you if you want to hear it! Check out the new leupold mark 4 1.5-5 cmr2 rectle. This rectle is illuminated with 10 different brightnesses it's variable power but at 1.5 you can use both eyes open kinda like the bindon aiming concept like on the acogs. This scope weighs less than the acog too. Also like the acog it has the numbered hold over points so like the acog if you know the range you just hold the rectle at the distance of your target I believe it goes to 800 yards. Unlike the acog the dash marks and the range numbers on the rectle illuminate. Plus at night the illumination is way brighter than the acog. This scope is compact too. Now if you mount this scope and decide that 1.5 is too much magnification at close range with both eyes open you can do what I did , Burris leupold

·
Registered
103 Posts
And trijicon all have these mini red dot sights I bought the Burris peper scope mount that has pictanny rails on top of the scope rings then I bought the Burris fast fire redot and mounted it on top of the front scope ring. I use this set up on my scar 17. With this set up you can dial in on far away objects or if shtf you have that redot for close range . All you have to do is pop your head a little to go from the scope to the redot it's so easy I love this setup I have it on my scar 17 and is IMHO the best set up you can do best of both worlds for me I'm going to do the same for my acr in the future. Also I forgot to mention on the leupold scope if you want to be super accurate you can buy a custom bdc dial from leupold for what ever load you shoot ! So let's say you want to shoot a ground hog for example like me, you don't really want to use the hold over points on any scope cause groundhogs are small so instead you just turn your bdc dial to the distance of the groundhog and pull the trigger! So now your acr can breach buildings and rooms easy, shoot human size targets from any distance quickly with rectle hold over points, or use ultra precision with the bdc dial. To me you can't lose with this set up and if you carry this thing all day this set up is light too. Sorry I'm long winded this morning but I know optics are such a head ache to figure out. One more thing I'm not sure if you saw this or not but with the acogs you can mount the micro red dots on top of the acogs too because the bac isn't for everyone and I've heard a few people say it makes them sick to use for for extended periods!

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry I'm long winded this morning but I know optics are such a head ache to figure out. One more thing I'm not sure if you saw this or not but with the acogs you can mount the micro red dots on top of the acogs too because the bac isn't for everyone and I've heard a few people say it makes them sick to use for for extended periods!
I did try an RMR on top of the TA11 when I had it. It was not good glass in my opinion. It looked like I was looking through a bubble. I would prefer the Leupold deltapoint if I ever got one. All info is appreciated. I'm still kicking myself for passing up yours. This is more of a start to my research. I'm trying not to rush into this one. Thanks.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Yea leupolds are better but take a look through that mark 4 with the cmr2 rectle I had alot easier time looking through this than my acog plus it has a much longer eye relief

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I was researching it. Do you mean the Mark 4 CQ/T? It has a 1-3x14mm setup and is heavier and MUCH bigger. I like the price point though. Not sure if that would work for me. I like their HAMR, but it seems to be along the same price point as an ACOG. I'm not sure if I would be interested in the MR/T, which seems to have the power lens that you're talking about.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
TA33GH for around $800.Personally not a fan of the 31's nor the Chevron reticle. Check out liberty optics.
I looked at those and I noticed how small the field of view is compared to the TA31. I want to be able to have as much situational awareness as possible. Although. I wouldn't mind getting a look through one to try out.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Love the TA-31F. Was most impressed when I looked at the green chevron in the FLGS. Still planning to get an RCO M4CP, though.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Obviously voted for the ACOG that I own (TA-31F Green Chevron). As my 1st sight, I found I had no issues putting it to work and just a little bit of time required to getting used to using BAC. I've tried to take some pictures of the sight picture, but can't get my iphone to focus on the chevron and BDC correctly. Hopefully when I head to the range I'll have better luck.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks, HighDrag. I certainly appreciate any suggestions. Believe me, I love to handle one next to the other, but I can't find a dealer nearby that has both in it's cases. I'm taking a trip this week and making a stop at a gun shop in Columbus that has an indoor range. Maybe they'll have both an I'll be able to take a peek.

Certainly if the price is right, I'd be interested in your TA33. At worst, I resell it if it doesn't work for me. PM me if you decide to unload it.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You going to black wing? I was just there Friday
I was going to go to AIMHI, but I checked out blackwing online and they look awesome. I'm gonna have to drop the family off at the zoo and head up there. Thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
103 Posts
No problem i think they had a couple of Acogs there, there is also Vance's shooting on Cleveland avenue Columbus no range there. I got a place up by me in Ashland Ohio I think is way better than any of the places in Columbus it's called Fin Feather and Fur outfitters it's kinda like a cabelas but it's privately owned very nice though

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No problem i think they had a couple of Acogs there, there is also Vance's shooting on Cleveland avenue Columbus no range there. I got a place up by me in Ashland Ohio I think is way better than any of the places in Columbus it's called Fin Feather and Fur outfitters it's kinda like a cabelas but it's privately owned very nice though
Cool. I'm from Wheeling, WV on I-70. If I make a trip up toward Cleveland, I'll have to schedule a trip.

·
Registered
737 Posts
I wish I could recommend a good site for you to check out, but my "go to" site just upped their prices on ACOGs (at least the ones I kinda like) to where I really can't expect them to beat what you could find elsewhere. I expect my next optic will likely be an Aimpoint T-1 Micro as it will be on a designated shorter range carbine.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I wish I could recommend a good site for you to check out, but my "go to" site just upped their prices on ACOGs (at least the ones I kinda like) to where I really can't expect them to beat what you could find elsewhere. I expect my next optic will likely be an Aimpoint T-1 Micro as it will be on a designated shorter range carbine.
I checked there first. I know you had been touting it. Too late.

Ghouse, I did stop up at Blackwing. It's a nice place, but I got no joy. I called ahead and explained that I wanted to look through a TA31 and a TA33 side-by-side preferably with a green chevron. I asked, "Do you have that?" The guy said, "Well I don't see any TA31's" Me: "What about TA33?" Him: "We do have one with a green horseshoe." Me: "That's great, I'll be right there." When I showed up, all they had was a TA11 with a green horseshoe. I was upset. Then I thought, "Oooo, they have an indoor range with Class 3 rentals. At least I can have some fun." But then, I quickly realized that their rifle range was shut down for lead removal for the week. So, I resisted the temptation to pay $120+ for pistol rentals and walked out with a PMAG and some dummy rounds. Good recommendation; bad timing.

Good news, though. We got a new credit card with a year's worth of 0%APR, so the wife gave me the go-ahead. The more I consider it. I think I have made the following decisions:

I want the green reticle for sure. I am definitely getting an ACOG. I think that I like the green chevron best for a pin-point accurate POA. I just hope that it doesn't wash out in bright light.
I think that I may benefit from the longer eye relief of the TA33. But in the long run, I think that I'll benefit most from the larger field of view and the greater magnification. I think that the BAC use for close work can be acquired through training. In the little that I played with it in the store, I was able to pick up proper eye relief easily once I got it set up in the proper location.

Thanks everyone for your input and advice. I think that I'm going with the TA31F-G. Calssportingarmory.com has it on sale for $970.

After I get it and get used to it, I'd like to get a QD mount for it that will allow me to keep my zero when detached and re-mounted. I've seen some from A.R.M.S., GG&G, and Larue. Suggestions?

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
HighDrag, thanks again for the suggestion. I seriously considered it, and would have loved to T&E one, but I had to go based on the feel that I got from the TA31 and the stats. What's nice is that, if I should change my mind at some point early on, I may be able to sell the TA31 for enough to get an even trade for the TA33. I'll always keep my options open.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Thanks everyone for your input and advice. I think that I'm going with the TA31F-G. Calssportingarmory.com has it on sale for $970.
Nice price. I've also been considering the TA31F-G. Local shop has it for just under $1100. I figure get the ARD separate and all you're missing is the tethered adjustment caps...

After I get it and get used to it, I'd like to get a QD mount for it that will allow me to keep my zero when detached and re-mounted. I've seen some from A.R.M.S., GG&G, and Larue. Suggestions?
I was set on Larue 4xDOS (LT100), but now I'm liking the LT-681 aka "RCO mount" which is also QD and pulls it back a bit to give the eye relief to a fixed A2/A4 stock with body armor and clear the charging handle, though in my case to pull it forward of the MBUS, which it should also be able to clear.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts