ACR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,
Mainly looking for a pictue of the gas block on "bigdogs" 10.5 novesk..... expecially the area of the "custom gas restriction device" (screw)that, he installed to control any over gassing problems.

Ive got an idea where too install it, i would just like to see a picture to re-assure my self. :cool:

The question is being asked as i am using a mil-spec colt 11.5 heavy bbl with a .077 gas port.... and im going to make all the necessary mods to accept the ACR hardware.
Mounted on the bbl will be a AAC M4-2000 flash hider/adapter, and the associated can....

Seeing as the BBL is coming off the lathe as i speak, id like to complete this as soon as possible... so i can shoot this thing!!!!:eek:

·
Super Moderator
4,707 Posts
ill get some pics of it in a little bit for you, heres the easiest way to find the hole, the bottom of the gas block has 2 of them, slide the gas block on the barrel and lock the barrel to the receiver, the hole should be placed in the side of the gas block in line with the 2 unused threaded holes in the receiver. when i adjusted mine for testing i used the allen wrench through the hole to tune it... btw the melonite will chew through standard drill bits, and if thats not enough the hardened steel will do the same, i had to use a cobalt drill bit to cut through, plus hardened taps

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks BIGDOG...roger that.....holding....:p

·
Super Moderator
4,707 Posts
here you go... the 11.5 might fit the basic handguard which would be tits... btw iirc the screw i used for my tap is the same size as the hole in the receiver (size and pitch) i dont remember which size it is off hand, i was going to use a small screw but broke off the tap inside the gas block. yay...

and just for fun

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have the enhanced, in coyote...and its gonna look...NICE!!, but i have some more questions..

1. Your piston guide/support, is that the stock one or one that you had fabb'd up? it seeems kind of close to the breach ring.. no problems with that?
2. I was gonna ask if your barrel take-down lever was off center when installing the shorter barrel.... but after looking at the pics... were the hell did your go???:eek:
3. was the type of screw did you use? a machine type, or the type with no "head" and a recessed allen "hole".

Thanks dog... sure im gonna ask you some more questions shortly, hope you dont mind:eek:

·
Super Moderator
4,707 Posts
1 my piston support is the factory one, we put a "m4" type notch in the barrel to make it fit, the accuracy wasnt hurt by this because i still get very tight groups with the t-1,

2 i took the lever off because i dont remove my barrel anymore, its my go to rifle and i dont want to chance a poi shift, if the barrel is removed the groups usually are within 1 moa, but i havnt tested this yet

3 my screw is one with the recessed allen hole, i keep 2-3 inside my handgrip storage with my allen wrench

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just a few more,

Piston spring, any mods?
And by the way....YOUR THE MAN!!!! Helped ALOT!

I actually was thinking of going to 10.5 cause your smoke wagon is...well...smoking,

My only concern is the minimum fps for 5.56mm ammo, my pd uses hornady "tap", and yea, yea i know the fps drop isnt much for that 1" of BBL, and there is the free bore boost from the can, but im kind of stuck in my ways...

Once again...Thanks again man, you ever need anything, dont hesitate to ask:cool:

·
Super Moderator
4,707 Posts
any time man! the piston spring is still standard, mine didnt like the conversion much but i think my spring was out of spec in some way, it wrapped around the piston, but that was over 1000 rounds ago with only 2 jams since (i believe it was ammo related btw).

heres how i tapped mine ymmv. I learned the hard way-drill past the hole a little bit and tap, if not you can snap the tap and have to start over. make sure the screw completely shuts off the gas port. while testing on mine, i shut it, fired 1 round unsuppressed on u mode followed by 1 suppressed on u mode (i checked the target and made sure the hole was round because i'm paranoid with new barrels). neither should cycle at all. after that i rotated the screw less than a quarter of a turn, fired a mag with no problems suppressed and unsuppressed, then removed the screw, locktited it and reinstalled it how it was previously. hopefully that should get you in the ballpark

the one thing i really like about the 10.5" rifle is it will fit perfectly into a tadgear lightspeed fast pack, or a oakley icon pack and absolutely no one would know any better (including myself if it was someone else)

i'm not sure about the difference in the effective fragmentation distance on a 10.5 vrs a 11.5 as you said it will be minimal, but every bit helps. plus the basic handguard is still an option for you which imo feels 100x better on the rifle than the enhanced.

my 10.5 loves the pmc 62gr 5.56 ammo, i bet i can get 1 moa @ 100 meters with it (i got 1 inch at 70 meters so far) 75 grain taps are what i will end up switching to someday if they group up well with my barrel setup

also i recommend an m4-2000 with muzzle brake (or surefire can with a brake) only because the blast from a 10.5" barrel is very aggressive on a suppressor, vrs all other cans

btw as tommy says pics or it didnt happen ;)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, bigdog, as soon as the gas block is done, and the rifle is back together, I will get some pics up here.... Thanks again

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well guys, here are the pics of the finished product, the sexxy burrito is back in action:

ACR enhanced
11.5 colt HMG-Commando barrell
AAC flashhider/adapter
AAC M4-2000 (V.1)
aimpoint t-1/larue mount (absolute CW)
Insite tech M3X led
Various Magpul "doodads"

2011-09-08_11-28-05_933.jpg

2011-09-08_11-26-40_201.jpg

The colt was thrown in the pic as a request for a guy as a size comparison...sorry for violating the ACR code ;)

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Looks great Sgt. That light matches up pretty well.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Nice looking stick!!

How about a range report post haste......;) :D :D

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
That's a little slice of awesome right there. Lookin' good!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for all the addaboys, guys... and thanks for all the help!!!
I will have a range report up soon( ive already got several hundred rounds through her), as well as pics of the "spare" bbl im working on( fluted under the handguard) which will be a 10.5 with a battle comp 2.0, and the "correct" gas port...

·
Registered
683 Posts

When I get off my ass I will SBR my ACR. I was waiting for barrels from BM but that seems fruitless. I love the look of the basic fore end.

·
Premium Member
3,048 Posts
The basic fore end does look more modern, but i prefer a railed fore end.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts