ACR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased my ACR about four months ago and cannot be happier with it once I put a Geissle Super 3 gun into it. It is most certainly on par with my LWRC I built last year which also runs like a top. My ACR has approximately 1500 rounds through it, all trouble free... However two very good friends of mine have seen the rifles choke under forgiving circumstances.

The first instance was a with a Remington ACR at Bragg if I am not mistaken and the rifle choked after approximately 120 rounds through it and it had to be taken off the range. This caused once of my friends to have some concerns with the rifle. I don't have many details and my friend has taken a new position in another unit, however he is going to try an put me in touch with his friend who was shooting it when it choked.

The second instance happened very recently, my friend from another unit was at a Mogadishu Mile shoot and a Bushmaster ACR 16" barrel with a suppressor (possibly an AAC) choked during one of the stages, and the rifle was down for about 3 minutes. My friend could not clarify for me if that was due to the stoppage, the user, or a mixture of both. He spoke with him after the stage, and the owner stated he liked the rifle and until that point it never had a problem. Maybe he is on the sight and can clarify the details.

Has anyone else had similar issues? I am a firm believer in the fact that anything that man has built can brake, and most certainly with the help of outside influences. However I am quite surprised to hear of the rifles choking with low round counts at the event. I have seen the ACR preform very well in official and grassroots stress tests, and mine has gone through about 850 rounds prior to me cleaning it out boredom and a desire to maintain my weapon. I still have alot of faith in my ACR unlike my issued POS Colt M4 and the ACR's design all together however if their is an issue we owe it to our selves to rectify it.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Have I had stoppages with my ACR, yes. Were they show stoppers, no. All have been easily cleared and the rifle put back into service quickly. The stoppages I have encountered are stove pipes, caused by one certain type of ammo only, (Fed XM193 Brown Box) Out of 4200 rounds put down range, I have only had less then a dozen stovepipe issues. (I need to review my shooting logs for exact number)

Has this broken my confidence in the rifle, no. Still happy with it and would buy one again if needed. :)

YMMV :cool:

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I've had not problems with any surplus ammo. I mostly shoot Federal XM193 and some LC bulk, some Federal Premium (which was a nice surprise in a bulk pack). The only thing I've had trouble it is Herter's from Cabelas. It's steel cased stuff that I assume to be on par with Wolf, because that's what Cabelas started using mostly for their bulk packs instead of the Wolf. I had a casing FTE. The casing got gunked into place after having a couple of active range days without cleaning. Other than that, the Herter's fed okay. Lesson learned: even with this gun, if you shoot the dirty stuff, you probably should clean the girl up after. I still have a couple hundred rounds from my bulk pack to blast through. After that, I'm going to get some better bulk stuff.
I wanna mix things up a bit and get some M855 5.56.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Had a choke with a Korean HK clone mag. Usually induce one or two myself when I forget to spin it from "S" back to "U". Other than that it's been straight.

·
Premium Member
3,048 Posts
Choked using TulaAmmo. Other than that stove pipe and the nasty film it left in my chamber, no. Just used rem oil spray and it was back to 100%

·
Registered
36 Posts
about 1000 rounds so far not one issue..... at all

·
Registered
610 Posts
Yep, I just checked. Its the brown box. I was shooting this on the weekend out of my LWRC M6 A2 and my ACR. The ACR ate it all with 0 issues and the M6 had choked 8 times out of 500 rounds.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
I have shot brown box Federal XM193 in this ACR but this stuff today was 1000rd loose pack Federal XM193 with LC 2011 brass from Cheaper Than Dirt.

The only thing I did differently today was rapid fire opposed to slow fire most of my shots have been 300yd slow shots not mag dumps. 2 chokes in one mag. One was a traditional stove pipe which I cleared and the other one immediately after reversed completely in the chamber and was crushed, I took a pic of that one.

ETA: I called BM while on my way home from the range and spoke with a CS Rep with a very " I don't want to be here " attitude who advised me that Federal XM193 is govt reject ammo blah blah blah and ultimately told me to drop the piston out and there would be green residue visable which is causing my issue. He insisted it was not gas reg related and not a problem with the weapon. I said roger that, I will call you guys back when I get home and drop the piston.

Well, I am home now, I dropped the piston and guess what, clean as a whistle. No green residue or anything else for that matter.
Your CS guy at BFI is full of crap and sadly has no idea what he is talking about. (I know you know that :) ) I never had a problem with my rifle until I hit the 3k mark, and oddly enough, stove pipes with XM193. After the rifle breaks in, the symptom shows up. Thats why they were toying with the newer regulator and beefier piston spring. (to slow the bolt down with higher pressure ammo)

Owell.................

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Your CS guy at BFI is full of crap and sadly has no idea what he is talking about. (I know you know that :) ) I never had a problem with my rifle until I hit the 3k mark, and oddly enough, stove pipes with XM193. After the rifle breaks in, the symptom shows up. Thats why they were toying with the newer regulator and beefier piston spring. (to slow the bolt down with higher pressure ammo)

Owell.................
Oh well my ass. That's a $2,000+ rifle and it should by-God function. BM needs to get their heads out of their asses and train their CS properly.

HighDrag, please let us know what they said when you called back.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts