ACR Forum banner

What additional BM barrel would you buy for your ACR?

• 10.5"

Votes: 17 53.1%
  • 14.5"

Votes: 12 37.5%
  • 18"

Votes: 7 21.9%
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bushmaster's ACR web page indicates that the ACR will have various size barrels available, 10.5", 14.5" & 18". I would absolutely buy an 18" barrel. That way I could have a set up both for DM and CQB. Kind of like the versatility advertised in the LWRC REPR.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
I would buy a 14.5 inch "Light" barrel 1st, then an 18 inch barrel.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Definitely 14.5 with a pinned FA to get the minimum (not requiring papers, taxes or being added to the list).

·
Registered
795 Posts
They currently offer the various barrel lengths to Military & LE Departments only. The release date to the civilian market is still unkown. The 6.8 conversion is supposed to be out towards the end of this year and the 7.62 early 2011. You might be better off just picking up a spare barrel and working with that or Spike's offers a fantastic aftermarket solution.

I'm working on a 12.5", just ordered a spare 16" so that I can cut it to a 14.5", then eventually pick up a 18" for long range. All other caliber conversion will probably be in 14.5".

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
14.5" with a pinned FH since no NFA happening in the People's Republic of Kalifornia. :(

·
Registered
359 Posts
Definetely stickin to the 10in. I love the look and feel of sbr's. I hate how front heavy the acr is with its 16in barrel. However the 10in will by no means replace the 16in (esp. since I have a ACOG on it!). Its just another capabiltiy.

I've heard rumors that people are having the 16in reprofiled to shave some weight. Anyone here have a first hand account or know someone who does? Does it really lessen the weight enough to make it worth it?

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
I've heard rumors that people are having the 16in reprofiled to shave some weight. Anyone here have a first hand account or know someone who does? Does it really lessen the weight enough to make it worth it?
Did it with mine, thread is in the Tech Discussion section. Shaved about 1/4lb and was noticeable.

·
Registered
69 Posts
bushmaster wont tell me the gas port size i need to make the 10.5" barrel out of the original 16"...

guess its test and find out time!

·
Super Moderator
4,707 Posts
its around .052 for the military and around .058 for civi, hk94dude on ar15.com cut down a 16" barrel with a .063 and it cycles great from his post

btw i dont think you can cut your barrel down to 10.5-the midlength gas system prevents this, you can go down to 12.5 though without modifying the piston assembly

·
Registered
69 Posts
thanks i will definitely talk with my gunsmith about this....
i guess they have to do some testing and trial and error to make it work. :)

its around .052 for the military and around .058 for civi, hk94dude on ar15.com cut down a 16" barrel with a .063 and it cycles great from his post

btw i dont think you can cut your barrel down to 10.5-the midlength gas system prevents this, you can go down to 12.5 though without modifying the piston assembly

·
Super Moderator
4,707 Posts
if you are set on a 10.5" barrel, you can either buy a 10.5" ar15 barrel and reduce the gas port or cut down a carbine length barrel and use the factory one, i made mine adjustable so i can do either if needed

·
Registered
69 Posts
I really want to stick with the 10.5" barrel and try to cut down the existing 16" one i have and try to make it work.

If i do buy the AR barrel how would I make the threads similar like the one on the ACR for quick barrel detach?

·
Super Moderator
4,707 Posts
you take all the parts off your original barrel and install them on your new barrel, it takes some machining to fit though, you can check out my sig to see how i did it

1 - 16 of 16 Posts