ACR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Happy Birthday to my ACR

A year ago, I decided to purchase an enhanced ACR in Black. Apprehensive at 1st, but it was neat so I had to have one. Numerous range trips, 4420 rounds and a year later, I’m glad I did and have no regrets.

The Rifle started off with the standard enhanced equipment. Very shortly I realized I didn’t like the feeling of the railed hand guard and replaced it with a standard one. The rifle has seen many different optics, (Aimpoint M2, HiLux CMR 1x4, couple of Micro red dot clones) and for now I have settled on a Eotech XPS2 with the option to mount a magnifier if needed. (Who knows how long that will last)

In my opinion the rifle has held up very well. The amount of wear on the moving parts is minimal. I have posted some pictures below trying to show the wear. It appears that most of the wear is just the removal of the finish covering the melonite treatment. (much like a glock) The cam pin shows very little wear and almost no metal displacement that is typically found on an AR15. Infact, I have a Colt 6940 with only 500 rounds thru it and it has more wear on the cam pin then the ACR does at 4420. The bolt face does have some anomalies, (couple of chips) but is still serviceable. The front of the ejection port has some nick and dents, probably from the couple of stove pipe I encountered. Basically, the wear on the rifle is nothing I wouldn’t expect for just under 5000 rounds.

I have shot a good mixture of ammo thru it to include a 50 / 50 mix of .223 and 5.56. With the exception of 12 stove pipe stoppages, (which were cleared easily) the rifle has functioned flawlessly. The stove pipes all occurred after reaching the 3000 round mark and only occurred with Federal XM193 (brown box) ammo. I have shot steel cased ammo thru it as well with no hiccups. My rifle seems to really run well with PMC Bronze .223 55grn fmj. I seem to get the most consistant accuracy with it for budget ammo. (Usually 1 – 1 ½ inches at 50 yards) My best ever was a 10 shot group that measured 1.15 inches @ 100 yards using 69grn federal match ammo. The 10x scope really helped a lot.

Overall I’m happy with the rifle and would buy another one if I needed to. Is it the ultimate end all to be all, no. Is it perfect, no. Do I like the rifle and does it serve my needs, yes. Anyway, I have reached a milestone with this rifle and just wanted to share some of my observation.

Below are some pictures,

ETA: Just thought of something to add, lubrication: I have used minimal lubrication on the rifle since new. Using Mobil1 and a needle oiler, 1 small drop on the front of each "U" shaped channel on the BCG. Very light sheen on the cam pin and bolt bearing surface. Couple drops on the action (return / BCG) spring. During cleanings, the action is very clean compared to AR pattern rifles, bolt face and lugs are all that need to be cleared of carbon. Of course the gas block, piston and regulator are a different story. :)

Explaination of barrel wrench picture: As you can see, it's over a good bit from the 6 o'clock position. (9 clicks) When in that position, is where I get the accuracy listed above. YMMV on your particular rifle.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Looks Good. Keep 'er running right.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Congrats on reaching your 5k milestone!

Could you please post a closeup image of the lugs on your barrel extension? I'm curious to see what they look like after your round count.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Congrats on reaching your 5k milestone!

Could you please post a closeup image of the lugs on your barrel extension? I'm curious to see what they look like after your round count.
I was using my daughters camera and she is outta town for 2 weeks. (sorry) I have some minor peening at the front of 2 lugs at 10 / 11 o'clock. The back side of the bolt lugs appear to have normal wear on them for a rifle just under 5k.

Nothing really jumps out and says, "ay, you better look closer at this"

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Mine is not quite this old. Glad you posted up pictures of wear on yours. I noticed that my brass deflector piece was wearing down. I have been using the Lake City ammo reloaded by Federal (XM198?) and had some problems with it in my AR15. Thought that maybe the issue was showing up in this way on my ACR. I was blowing primers when shooting it in my AR15. Glad to see it does nothing except work well in my ACR.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks, I have no doubt it will serve you well!

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I will have had mine for a year later this month.

Sadly, it will be celebrated at BM's repair facility. . . .
OUCH!!! Hopefully you'll get it back soon

1 - 14 of 14 Posts