ACR Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine that I walked through getting his first handgun a few years ago had his house robbed. His Sig 229 with a .40 and .357 sig barrels are now on the street somewhere. He had it hidden in his room but apparently the robber found the cleaning kit and trashed his room to find the gun. The guy took his time, came in during the day while my friend and his roommate were at work. Ate their food, tossed half eaten leftovers on the floor, and took a dump in their toliet without flushing. I posted this on another gun forum (Mdshooters) and some of the first things that people started going off on was that it is stupid or irresponsible not to own a gun safe. My friend is a renter and had 1 handgun so a large mounted safe was not a possibility and a small one probably would have gotten stolen too. I think they are great if you have the money but also know plenty of people that don't own gun safes and I think that circumstances (neighborhood, children, size or value of collection) dictate if you need one. Didn't see the controversy over this one coming but sometimes that forum gets ugly quick. What do you guys think? Is it stupid and irresponsible not to own a gun safe?

·
Premium Member
3,048 Posts
I don't think so. Finances play a big role in that, too. A good safe isn't cheap. And I sure as hell wouldn't keep my only gun used for self defense locked up

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
I did not own a gun safe until I had my 1st child. Up until that point, I had them hidden around the house. I was very fortunate that I was never a victim of a burglary. I have to admit that once I got it, I feel very much better about the safety of my firearms.

I actually have a big safe for the toys and a smaller safe / lock box for the grab n' defend stuff. Still have to be careful about the kids. Just something to consider when buying a safe. It's a big investment to protect your other investments. Take your time choosing one if you go that route.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I didn't have a safe until five days after I brought home my ACR. it's the most expensive firearm I have ever purchased. the thing that really pushed me into it was when someone I did not want to know I had an expensive firearm, found out I don't trust him.
it always bothered me I didn't have a safe. I shopped around and found a discontinued model with a scratch, that saved me three hundred bucks. they are expensive but bring peace of mind. in an apartment unless its small its not practical, if its not bolted down it does no good.

·
Mod Squad
1,892 Posts
Patriot safes all the way. They've got excellent customer service. Many sizes and fire ratings. I've got the 45 gun leo safe. Wasn't cheap but its a piece of furniture. Neat blue lighting in it. Can set my own codes. Check them out.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Kind of like PYLE, I was planning on buying an ACR so bought a safe first. Before that, my handguns were in my dresser and my rifles in the closet. Being the most expensive single firearm I bought, though, I knew it was time for a safe.

I have a Cannon Costco special and I'm happy with it.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I don't think so. Finances play a big role in that, too. A good safe isn't cheap. And I sure as hell wouldn't keep my only gun used for self defense locked up
I agree. I have mine in a POS stack-on bolted to the floor. That certainly keeps my daughter away. Although she loves to "help me" clean my guns and load mags. Then, she has been trained to lock up the safe and hand me the key. But one goes behind my headboard at night.
One day, as my collection grows a bit, I'd like something better, but it's a costly insurance component.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I have a safe with all the goodies locked up in it except for my HD G19 that is well hidden. The safe is well hidden along with a 12 gauge locking cabinet for my ammo, gun cleaning, gear, ect. I also make a point to not advertise, no stickers on my vehicles or anything gun related is seen in my house for that matter. I don't wear clothing that has gun related products or advertising. A lot of my friends and family have no idea what my wife and I have because when you come over to our house you would never know. Along with keeping our mouths shut(some like to brag) and when off to the range we transport from house to car very discreetly.

With all that said I think it would be a wrong move to have your HD pistol locked up in a safe let alone its your only gun. Need to think harder about hiding it with keeping in mind easy access for you grab in a rush.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I started with one of those cheapie Sentry cabinets, replaced the lock, and then added some steel plate to the inside on raised studs. Then filled that gap with concrete.

Looks like a cheap safe. Weighs a $#@!ing ton. is it perfect? No, but at the time it was all I could afford, and its a pretty damn good deterrent.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I started with one of those cheapie Sentry cabinets, replaced the lock, and then added some steel plate to the inside on raised studs. Then filled that gap with concrete.

Looks like a cheap safe. Weighs a $#@!ing ton. is it perfect? No, but at the time it was all I could afford, and its a pretty damn good deterrent.
That's frigging awesome.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Im all about saftey with guns, and locking them up for theft reasons, but what is the point of having guns if when you need them they're locked up? You should have atleast 1 gun hidden somewhere loaded and ready.

·
Mod Squad
4,526 Posts
The most I ever did for my guns was lock them in a truck box loaded down with ammo, and in a closet where it was hard enough putting in when empty.

Having to move around a lot prevented me from buying some monstrously heavy safe. Now with my 2 yr old getting into everything, we bought a small pistol safe with the finger grooves with keypads. It's not attached to anything so the robber could make off with the whole damn thing, though he'd have to get past the huge white bulldog/pit mix.

I will be buying a Zanotti though which will allow you to dismantle the safe (from the inside only) for easy shipping.

Thanks for the reminder guys.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Im all about saftey with guns, and locking them up for theft reasons, but what is the point of having guns if when you need them they're locked up? You should have atleast 1 gun hidden somewhere loaded and ready.
I keep my guns in the safe, but since I live in a CCW unfriendly county, I lock it up when I leave, but I unlock it when I get home and keep it on my desk until I go to bed, when it goes to my nightstand. Then repeat the next day.

·
Registered
13 Posts
stupid? irresponsible?
probably not.
locking up the guns within a hard to move object seems like a better idea than hiding a gun somewhere in your house
the number of burglaries in my neck of the woods involving guns seems to be rising

In addition to securing yoru guns in your home (however you choose to do this), moving your guns in and out of your home when you use them should be done with soe thought toward security. you never know who may be watching.

with all this said, I did not buy my first safe until I moved into my first house.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Actually, after 8 guns I figured I needed a safe (plus, it's required for NFA weapons of which I will be owning one in the near future). Bought one and mounted it yesterday.

·
Mod Squad
4,526 Posts
Very true. I have discreet cases for my long guns and always try to load for the range discreetly. Especially if there are neighbors around.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts