ACR Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
I don't have too much knowledge in safes but I've been shopping around for one. My dad has a fort knox safe and that's the only one I have experience with. From what I have been able to tell from my shopping around is safe is really one of those things that you get what you pay for and it is a fine line from how much protection you want and how much you are willing to spend. Think about it as a lot of people think about keeping ammo as a stockpile. Some people are happy at 100 rounds others aren't happy at 100,000 rounds. Me personally, I've decided that since I have a good bit of high end firearms I'm going to wait until I can purchase a high end safe. Especially since my dad doesn't mind me taking up some space in his safe until I get my own.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I have an AMSEC. It is awesome. It is also not cheap. I figure with tens of thousands of dollars worth of guns inside it, I shouldn't cheap out on the lockbox. Don't forget to budget for proper installation too! Even an OK safe that isn't bolted down can be opened by thieves in under 10 minutes with a 6-foot crowbar typically. Get a locksmith to bolt it to your floor and possibly the wall behind it if possible. Consider having it wired into your home security system, if you have one. They can usually add a door-opening alarm to it without much trouble.

·
Registered
12 Posts
if i could do it again, i'd get one giant safe instead of the three smaller safes i have now. or a fortified room

·
Registered
32 Posts
Lincoln safe from NWsafe. I am beyond satisfied. Check out some YouTube videos on Liberty safes. If you pick one up, they are a bit flexible on price to.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Kind of late to the party, but pretty much any big box store "safe" is going to be an RSC -- residential security container -- and not an actual safe. In general they are going to have an 11ga body and door wrapped around various amounts of fireboard (drywall). If you only have a couple of inexpensive guns, something from Costco will be just fine at keeping honest people honest, but it doesn't provide much in the way of actual burglary or fire protection.

If I have to get something on a budget, I'd get an American Security NF series safe. It's steel comes from China (similarly to most big box safes) and it's "made in America" as in assembled and painted, but it at least has 1/4" of plate steel in the door versus most others -- the only Liberty safe to have that much steel in the door is their top of the line Presidential, which costs as much as an actual TL rated American Security RF series safe. If you've got a little more I recommend the BF series safe, particularly the HD series. The BF has 1/2" steel door and an 11ga body with two inches of a poured concrete mix. The HD goes a bit further and adds a 4ga inner liner (.23"), which gives it as much steel as a B rated true safe (but is not B rated as it doesn't have a single .25" plate body). Once you get above that level of security, things get expensive pretty quick.

Pretty much though, basic rule is more steel, more secure. Liberty and other mainstream, big box "safes" are going to really skimp out on the steel, most of the thickness you see comes from drywall. Their door tolerances are also really terrible, making them susceptible to pry attacks and fire damage. If you have an expensive collection, secure it in something worthwhile to mitigate the risk of losing them all.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts