ACR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a hefty amount back on our tax returns this year. After paying off some bills I'll have enough money to purchase a gun safe.

Can anyone recommend a decent gun safe for $1k or less? Would rather have something without electronics involved, EMPs etc. lol.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Very interested in hearing what you decide to go with. I, too, am considering purchasing a safe for my growing collection but don't know what I want yet.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Gun Safes and prices for them are a big balance between how strong they are made, as well as how long the fire protection rating is on them....
Costco has some large safes around $1000 and less, but make sure you understand what you are buying before you do. There is alot that goes into a quality safe.

GUN SAFES "THE TRUTH" weaponseducation - YouTube

·
Registered
139 Posts
Liberty would be a brand to check out if on a budget. They make good, better and best. Steel doors made out of thick steel plating are the strongest and difficult to defeat than composite doors but are more expensive. Fort Knox are really high end safes and also make the old brand National Security which are heavyyyy built. Buy the best you can afford. Although one way to look at it is a fair safe is better than no safe at all. Sargent and Greenleaf are the best lockers and double walls are hard to penetrate in the sides etc. Visiting a good safe dealer would be a good way to go. There is a lot to building safes.

·
Registered
139 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have very high end safes. If I had to do it all over again I would go with a high end large Costco safe for the value fire protection and they deliver it to your house. They don't look as nice as my Cannons. Look into your home owners insurance and see if you can get a discount for a fireproof safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
973 Posts
I'm a Sun Welding dealer, and they make some of the best safes for the money. They are made in the USA, and are AWESOME quality. The SCOUT series can usually be had in the price range you are seeking.

Product Line

·
Mod Squad
4,526 Posts
Anybody on the move a lot (Military) should look at the Zanotti line of safes.

Gun Safes for your home or business | Zanotti Armor®

It comes in 6 pieces that all interlock from inside, the door being the heaviest component. This can also be helpful in having a larger safe in a closet with a door it'd usually be impossible to get the assembled safe back through. Simply set up the base plate where needed, and start assembling and securing the pieces. I believe the door being the last.
I'll be picking one up with my Income return.

A buddy shelled out $6k+ for a Pendleton that he believes is one of the nicest safes he's ever seen. He bought a King series with the LED's inside.

Pendleton Safes ? Gun Safes - King Series

·
Registered
274 Posts
How much steel do you guys think is sufficient?
Im in desperate need of a safe as well with a budget of about $1k to $1500 maybe $2k at the most!
I prefer not to have electronics either unless there is also a mechanical option with it.
Heavy is good. Big enough to fit at least 20 rifles or so and many handguns and even have room for ammo

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
electronics are ok....as long as you dont lose the backup spare key.

·
Mod Squad
1,892 Posts
The safe I have has a 2,key backup option or a separate box to plug in that'll power up the lock so you can input your code.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
i have a stackon safe.not a bad buy.but when i get some cash i want to buy one of the above mentioned safes.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
i have a stackon safe.not a bad buy.but when i get some cash i want to buy one of the above mentioned safes.
I have a cheap Stackon as well. Good for $110. Once I get to Texas, I plan to get a real nice safe. I'm considering getting one of those hidden in plain view type safes that are in bookshelfs or other furniture.

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
my stackon is actually a safe,not a security cabinet.they make some decent gunsafes are are pretty huge.i wanna get a 65 gun safe that can be configured for firearms and ammo and some gear.

·
Premium Member
2,889 Posts
I think I have a stackon cabinet... they are good for the money, but they are not a safe. I think it's stackon brand... is the actual safe made by stackon decent?

·
Registered
1,932 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,889 Posts
Yea, when I got home I just looked at the cabinet and it's not stack on. It's some really cheap brand.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I have a stack on cabinet. Good enough to keep the kids out. I've also got a GunVault single-pistol vault for bedside. Once we move to our next house (hopefully within a year), I'll get a good fire safe.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts