ACR Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know of some good gloves that can be used for rappelling and shooting? TIA

·
Premium Member
3,048 Posts
oakley is all i use

·
Premium Member
3,048 Posts
they dont, but their si assault gloves are fine

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Hatch makes some good ones, but I don't have any myself. I just like their shorty operators. I know they've got some for rappelling.

·
Forum Vassal
709 Posts
The standard Oakley SI Assault glove would get destroyed during repelling. Though, they make a fast rope glove now that is supposed to be more capable when it comes to ropes.

Take a look at the Petzl Cordex. I know a few guys that use them and they handle rappelling well, and aren't that expensive.

Here is the Oakley Glove.
FR FAST ROPE GLOVE
BLACK
94109-001
Engineered for fast-rope tactical operations, the FR FAST ROPE GLOVE takes advantage of technology utilized for flame protection in Oakley professional racing gear. Aluminized Carbon-X® greatly reduces thermal transfer when the friction of a fast rope descent threatens the palm with a surge of heat. Dual-layer Nomex® offers added protection with flame resistance that meets the requirements of the ASTM D 6413 standard. For the outer layer of the palm, we used premium Pittards® Keratan, and the fingers get the same durable leather for unrivaled abrasion resistance. No ordinary fast-rope glove can offer this level of performance and protection, and the icon of innovation marks its authenticity.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the replies. The Petzl Cordex looks like a nice glove. I think I will give them a whirl.

·
Super Moderator
4,707 Posts
i have some of the newer generation gloves, they are leather on the bottom instead of the suede material from the first generation ones

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
I was liking the Hatch SOG-HK400. Has an extra seam around the index finger if you want to cut it off for trigger. I still have FROG/nomex coyote gloves as primary, though I have the leather shells I can use if I need to (but never have).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Man the Mechanix Gloves work great. i use the tan/black non impact ones and they feel awesome even when loading the mags.
Not to mention I got them on Amazon for under $20.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I have 2 pairs, the PIG gloves for shooting and when fine motor skills are needed and the mechanics are a work horse
I love the PIG gloves, fit is amazing

·
Mod Squad
4,526 Posts
I believe I documented my experience with the SKD/PIG Alpha gloves.

Yeah the fit is awesome, but the pair I had sent out to me had a hole in it (pen sized hole on the seam between the thumb and forefinger), and SKD didn't sound overly eager to help out. Basically their response was:

"Well they're made of many different pieces and gloves are supposed to wear out. We are out of them right now, but if you want a new pair, go ahead and send those back and we'll get some out when we get them."

I fully expect gloves not to last very long, especially when shooting or handling guns equipment etc... I wear mine about 6 days a week handling guns and shooting on the weekend. I blew the support hand thumb open with the BABC on my 7.5" and the forefinger came apart too. Amazingly, I asked the haj tailor on our camp how much it would cost to fix them, he did it for $3. (I'll post pics later). He did an awesome job of fixing them.

They're nice gloves, but SKD's attitude didn't help the fact they sent defective items out to me.

Honestly, I'm an OR fan now. Outdoor Research makes some PHENOMENAL gloves. They'll get my money every time.

·
Registered
274 Posts
that sucks to hear
ive usually had great experiencd with their customer service
been returning so much shit tht i buy from them if im not happy with them and they have no problems with returns or exhanges
i got a defective hsgi belt that they replaced no problem
so you don't think that pig will stand up to abuse?
I haven't used them except shooting at the range but not on a daily basis

·
Premium Member
3,048 Posts
I've been running the PiG gloves by SKD. Very comfortable, seem to be holding up well, dexterity is good. I can pick up a dime from a flat surface with them on.

Sent from my Apple II

·
Registered
11 Posts
I was looking to try out The Pig gloves. I wear Oakley Knuckle gloves on duty and was looking at the Pig as another option. The problem is that you cannot find them anywhere... And SKD is on back order until July..

·
Premium Member
3,048 Posts
I was looking to try out The Pig gloves. I wear Oakley Knuckle gloves on duty and was looking at the Pig as another option. The problem is that you cannot find them anywhere... And SKD is on back order until July..
Pig is an skd exclusive. Skd designs the gear and teams up with a manufacturer to produce it.

They are worth the wait if you ask me

Sent from my Apple II

·
Mod Squad
4,526 Posts
Here are the "fixes" the tailor had to perform. The left glove was the one he had to mend, and in my opinion, for three bucks he did a damn fine job.

Notice the thumb repair, as well as the forefinger. The top of the forefinger (where the glove is tan right after the black fingertip) has started to unravel as well.

Again I don't think they're bad gloves, I just didn't like their response. It seemed like they were blowing me off, which is why I will take my business to OR everytime.

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts