ACR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 1117 Posts

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well like most of you, I like the idea of the ACR being modular, and I think this entails being able to swap the grip out as well. Although I have no issues with the stock grip. I would like to do a 6.5 DMR ACR build at some point and that could benefit from a different grip. I have had this done for some time, but trying to get anywhere past a concept has provide difficult, especially recently as any contact I had in the firearms industry though my friends with regards to machining are swamped with AR parts as of late.

However a good friend of mine, a Mechanical Engineer who has helped me QC the dimensions, and supplied solidworks to me, was able to get a ABS prototype made. Which should be available by the end of the week.

This lower has a much more aggressive Magazine flare, trigger guard, and it obviously accepts a standard AR15 grip. At this point it will retain the use of the trigger box.

Aesthetically the lower is likely to change more to try and reduce machining costs, and if possible reduce weight while making it more unique.

When discussing the lack of access to machines, my Father pulled through and had gave me the contact information of a client who owns a machine shops which specializes in prototype develop, and actually has some military contracts. I spoke with the owner today and he is interested in building them, and more importantly we can get on his machines in a timely manner.

If the ABS prototype fits, and functions correctly. We will build a few test mules for myself and friends, while this is being done we can get prices on additional lots of units if their is interest in them, say in lots of 25, 50, maybe 75 units.

If their is enough serious interest we may do a group buy, with a minimum amount requirement of pending orders before we proceed.

Things which haven't fully been hashed out is coatings. More then likely we would cerakote the lowers in either black or coyote unless some on wanted it raw. Though I have to talk to my other friend involved in this about his employers capabilities as they are swamped with projects.

I will continue to keep the forum updated has the project progresses, once the prototypes are finished there may a lull in progress as I have an ass pain of the military school coming up for 7 weeks, which starts next week. This however shouldn't hinder things to much, as there are two others who are involved in this so they should be able to keep it moving forward, while I keep you updated when I have down time.

·
Premium Member
4,707 Posts
Looks damn good man!! Depending on a price I'd be interested in one or two. Any way to make it accept an AR trigger guard as an option down the road? If you keep the trigger guard, you could skeletonize that for some weight loss like Remington did.

Another weight loss would be losing the trigger box and possibly using an Ar-15 selector

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
If someone is willing to temporarily donate their 7.62x39 barrel and bolt kit we most certainly could make and AK variant. As the likelihood of getting piston components is slim now, and personal finances are tight with regards to building my own. That is something I would have to talk to my friends about as I did the majority of the leg work with their current work loads, and I will be gone for 7 weeks.

With regards to price, the more serious interest there is the cheaper they will be.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Price concern obviously, I'm more interested in serious weight reduction for 3 gun applications. The flared magwel is a great boost too. The reduced profile eliminating the trigger box and switching to the M4 safety, short throw would rock, would be a great idea.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Ditto, I' would definitely be in for the standard and maybe even an AK lower. Depending on unit price.

·
Premium Member
2,889 Posts
Yea, I'd like to see the weight reduction too. I think you could lose the trigger box and put a standard AR safety, and it would in turn lose weight.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Pending final numbers, I am definitely interested in a AR magazine lower and maybe an AK as well. I do second the suggestions regarding the elimination of the trigger box and the use of a short-throw AR selector to save weight and increase usability. Either the BAD ASS or the Noveske STS would be acceptable to me.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
I am meeting with my friends tonight. I will start working on a skeletonized lower to cut additional weight. But to do this requires more machining and may reflect some additional costs, to remove the trigger box means it's no longer a direct swap. This may not appeal to everyone which could prove to be an issue, this doesn't mean it's not an option, but as everyone has said cost is large portion of what it is determining interest.

The farther we go away from stock, the more components which may have to be built specifically to support it, such as a safety. The ACR's dimensions are different then an AR so it may require us to build one, or at least a portion of one; which again will cost more.

I am absolutely open to suggestions as far a features go. However at this point, I think getting the lower as light as possible, with using the trigger box, will help us achieve a more common ground with regards to total number of units ordered which will help drive the cost down. I can also draw up the trigger box, skeletonize it, and look into the cost of having your trigger boxes lightened, and shipped back with your lower.

However I am going to look into retrofitting the current setup for use without the trigger box, and maybe offer a modified version to those who want it, this way we can keep the number of traditional trigger box lowers as high as possible.

1 - 20 of 1117 Posts