ACR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When disassembling, I notice that my gas piston rod is very tight and doesn't move very freely. I find it easiest to tap it lightly with a mallet to get it free. If I press it from the muzzle to the breach compressing the spring, it will just sit there, for example, and the spring isn't strong enough to move it back. Its been that way since day 1.

It is noteworthy that it has been utterly reliable with some 2,000 rounds through it mostly 5.56. Brass ejects nicely at 3:00.

Is this normal or is there some impending doom awaiting me?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
4,707 Posts
it shouldnt be that tight, i'd loosen the piston support and rotate it until the op rod moves more freely (then obviously tighten it back up lol)

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
it shouldnt be that tight, i'd loosen the piston support and rotate it until the op rod moves more freely (then obviously tighten it back up lol)
+1 That happened to me after I sent my barrel away to be worked on without sending the piston. Its a simple turn of a torx screw, straighten for alignment, and re-tighten. If it still sticks in the more normal sense (doesn't drop free for disassembly), you've probably got some gunk built up somewhere in there. Check the bas block.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Awesome... I will get a chance later and report back. Think it will change the operation at all? I have read about the over gassing issues. As I said, mine has been fine. I guess I will find out...

Thanks!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bingo! That was it. You guys are awesome!

It was way off - there was a lot of resistance on the rod. Now it falls free, no problem. I won't get to shoot for a while, and I am concerned how it will handle full power 5.56 given the significant difference on the rod. If there is no problem, it will certainly speak to a good design IMHO.

I will post back.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Bingo! That was it. You guys are awesome!

It was way off - there was a lot of resistance on the rod. Now it falls free, no problem. I won't get to shoot for a while, and I am concerned how it will handle full power 5.56 given the significant difference on the rod. If there is no problem, it will certainly speak to a good design IMHO.

I will post back.
Great! I'm glad that worked out for you. You should have no problem with a 5.56 round. The rod is now set up as intended. Although do watch out on this forum for troublesome ammo types. I don't like to use Herters much anymore. I think others have had trouble with Tula and XM193BK (bulk), but if it's decent brass, you should be fine. Happy shooting.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts